Christmas in July- July 26th- Christmas in Poland and Russia

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Today we will explore what Christmas looks like in Poland and Russia!

In Poland, Christmas Time begins with Advent. People attend 'raraty' special masses held at dawn and dedicated to Mary.
The Polish celebrate "St. Nicoholas Day" on December 6th where children receive a small gift from St. Nicolas, in a shoe or near a fireplace.
A custom on Christmas Eve is for no food to be eaten until the first star is seen in the sky. So, children spend much of the evening outside looking for that star!
The Christmas meal consists of 12 dishes- that are meant to give good luck for each month of the next year. In more religious homes, the 12 dishes symbolizes Jesus 12 disciples. This meal is often meat free as a way to honor the animals in the manger with the Baby Jesus.
It is common to leave an empty seat at the table to offer an unexpected guest. The Polish believe everyone should have a place to go on Christmas so they symbolically leave an empty chair at the table in case someone needs a place to go.
At the start of the meal- a wafer biscuit is passed around- each person breaks off a piece and offers a Christmas greeting.
One of the main dishes is beetroot soup and it is obligatory to have it.
Get this- Carp can be the main dish of the meal and the fish is bought a few days earlier alive and it swims in a bath tub until the lady of the house kills it. Yikes!
In recent times, it is more common to buy a filet of carp. The fish scales are said to bring luck and fortune and some even keep some of the scales in their wallet to carry with them through the year!

Christmas in Russia is widely celebrated on January 7th. Why? Because the Russian Orthodox Church adheres to the Julian Calendar. January 1st is a more important holiday to the Russian people.
During much of the 20th century, under communist rule, Russia was banned from publicly celebrating Christmas. Thankfully this has changed and celebrating the holiday has continued to grow!
A white tablecloth is often laid out on tables to symbolize the clothes Jesus was swaddled in.
Kutya- a dish of grains, poppy seeds, and honey is served as one of the main dishes at the Christmas feast.
The Russian Santa Claus is called Father Frost and he places presents for children at New Year's. He is accompanied by a snow maiden who is his granddaughter.
Svyatki- Russian Christmastide- follows Christmas for a two week period and this is where you will see traditions such as caroling and fortune telling.

In Both Poland and Russia- hay often covers the kitchen floors and tables to represent the manger.

I hope you had fun reading about Christmas in Poland and Russia!

Comment here if you know of any other traditions in either of these countries!

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Get this- Carp can be the main dish of the meal and the fish is bought a few days earlier alive and it swim in a bath tub until the lady of the house kills it. Yikes!
Ah no!. This is not something that I could do. I suppose that it means that the fish is very fresh.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Traditionally carp is one of the fishes used in gefilte fish (Remember that many Ashkenazi Jews were from Poland and/or Russia/Ukraine) Many Jewish families would buy a live carp and keep it in the bathtub until they needed it for the gefilte fish. There is even a children's book called The Carp in the Bathtub by Barbara Cohen

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
halimer- I want to read that book! I will look for it!

Annie

Reactions: halimer

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Keeping fish in the tub is very common in places that do not have refrigeration. And the tub could be a round metal tub.

Reactions: AnnieClaus

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I had to laugh when I read about the hay on the floor. When I worked at the school's annual Christmas Themed auction, one of my coordinators brought two haystacks for the 3 foot tall out door nativity set that was being auctioned. She thought that opening the haystacks and spreading the hay out, on a carpeted floor mind you, all around the figures would set the scene. o_O Unfortunately, she wasn't around for clean up. :rolleyes: Someone tried to vacuum up the hay but it ruined the vacuum cleaner. It had to be swept up in a pile with a broom and then picked up by hand to be put into the trash. Yeah, that was a fun.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul