Christmas in July-July 28th- Diwali, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Diwali is a Festival of lights celebrated by Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and some Buddhists. This holiday lasts five days. The dates are determined by the lunar calendar, therefore, they change every year. They usually occur between October and November.
Diwali symbolizes the victory of light over darkness, good over evil and knowledge over ignorance.
The lead up to Diwali involved cleaning, renovating and decorating homes and workplaces. During Diwali, people wear their finest clothes and illuminate the interior and exterior of their homes. Fireworks are set off and family feasts are enjoyed. Sweets take center stage during Diwali.

Hannukkah is a Jewish holiday that commemorates the recovery of Jerusalem and subsequent rededication of the Second Temple at the beginning of the Maccabean revolt against the Seleucid Empire in the 2nd century. It is also knows as the Festival of Lights.
The holiday is celebrated for eight days and nights starting of the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew Calendar.
In 2021, it will be celebrated November 28th- December 6th.
Why 8 days? After the Maccabean revolt, the Jewish community could find very little pure olive oil to light the Menorah, they only had enough for one day. However, the oil lasted for 8 days!
Each of the 8 nights, the lighting of the Menorah takes center stage. The lighting takes place just after dark when one candle is lit. On Fridays, the menorah is lit before dark to avoid lighting on Shabbat. One candle, called the shamash is used to light the other candles.
Hanukkah festivities include singing songs, playing the dreidel game, and eating oil based foods such as latkes.

Kwanzaa is an African Celebration which occurs between December 26-January 1. Each of the 7 days is dedicated to a principle.
Day 1- Unity
Day 2- Self Determination
Day 3- Collective Work and Responsibility
Day 4- Cooperative economics
Day 5- Purpose
Day 6- Creativity
Day 7- Faith

Food you will see eaten during Kwanzaa: Seasoned rice and beans, African creole, Jerk Chicken, Groundnut stew.
Gifts given during Kwanzaa include handmade and artistic gifts, books, and anything with African heritage symbols.
A proper greeting for Kwanzaa is: "Habari gani"- "What is the news?"

The exchanging of gifts is a part of each of thee three holidays.

Please post here for your experiences with any of these holidays.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My own experience is very limited. When I was teaching preschool, one of my students celebrated Hanukkah and Christmas. His father was Jewish and his mother was Christian. I was so impressed with how the family incorporated and honored both traditions. For show and tell, my student brought in their menorah and dreidel. Later we made latkes. I usually make latkes for dinner during Hanukkah now.