Christmas in July

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Christmas in July will be here before you know it....in fact in like 26 days....and when it arrives I will still be in Cozumel (due back home July 3rd...)

I've opened the Christmas in July forum so we can keep you updated on all the plans for the month and then post CIJ threads in this forum.....keeps everything handy.

In the meantime.....

1. In this thread please post what are some of your favorite Christmas in July events/projects/activities....please include anything here on the boards you enjoy as well as real life stuff you do.

2. I am starting a Christmas in July Links thread so as you go about on the internet if you find good CIJ sites or patterns or ideas .....please post them in the CIJ links thread...THANKS!!!

:merrychristmas:

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
For the last few years my CIJ festivities have been pretty much the same - get together with 1 or 2 girlfriends that also love Christmas and test recipes, listen to carols and watch QVC. :)

I usually take off work or take a partial day - and I am so glad that it falls on a Sunday this year since I just missed 3 months of work for maternity leave and wouldn't have wanted to take time off so soon...

Don't know yet if DH and DS will join me at my girlfriend's house this year - will have to take it over with DH...

I'm starting to get excited! CIJ will be here before I know it!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
We haven't done any 'real life' stuff in the past but I'm really looking forward to it this year-maybe a little family celebration? Get some ideas together for December?
I'm especially excited to get some stocking stuffers and not have that to do in the winter!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Right now, July seems SO far away! For one thing.... there is a whole lot going on in June. For another.... the heat makes it feel like everything is moving in slow motion.... including time!

In the past, I have thought about getting "chores" accomplished during Christmas In July. In recent times, my focus has been on the "human feelings" rather than on "objects". Or.... sort of ..... how everything fits together (including "objects".) I'm not sure how this will shake down during Christmas In July.

I do know that following the Summer HolidayGrandPlan has been helpful..... an uncluttered, peaceful space for Christmas..... is something that I have been slowly working towards.

I am looking forward to fun during Christmas In July! Fun right here at our Magical Holiday Home!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Last yr was the first time I found any thing out about CiJ. I watched QVC as well at Lifetime had Christmas movies on so that was fun. I am looking forward to a little bit of everything for that b/c it will be new for me here on MHH.

But I agree w/ SN June is busy month for us still here so I am also trying to take it one day at a time.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
For Christmas in July, I usually watch QVC as well. I rarely buy anything either, but just love to watch. I'm really looking foreward to spending some time, the whole month, planning for Christmas. I especially want to try out a few recipes in July since I have not been doing this on Rudolph days. On July 25th itself, my kids usually make these http://www.bhg.com/holidays/christmas/crafts/silly-faces-snowball-tabletop/ I only wish they were as cute as those. Being boys, they end up more like creatures (we have a one eyed one and one with a mustache). Don't ask me what I'm going to do with them, but they do like making them. I think this year, I'm going to add my large snowflakes to the pool just for fun. They are made out of a pool noodle type foam, so they float. I'm hoping to find some small white balloons at the party store so they can have a 'snowball' fight with water balloons. I'm thinking I might also make them these http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/ice-cream-tree-685133/. They can decorate them with little candies and sprinkles.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love the snowball faces & the ice-cream tree! Lovely ideas!

qltmrkt

Premiere Member
For the last three years, I've had a Christmas in July party. It was several Christmas nuts and I the first and second year but this past year, everyone had an excuse why they couldn't make it. I think this year I will do like I did last year and just invite my two adult DD to the house. Last year we spent the entire day watching movies, eating our traditional Christmas breakfast (breakfast casserole and fresh fruit with coffee and hot chocolate), and working on our Christmas notebooks or some other craft. Two years ago it was our countdown clipboard. Last year was helping DDs start their notebooks. Don't know what this year but I'll keep skimming the boards to find something!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am not too sure what we will be doing for CIJ yet. I am thinking of something simple, just a family dinner with a lovely roast meal. I would invite my mum and we could just have a quiet evening at home, watch a movie, that sort of thing.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I would love to have a family celebration for CIJ. Maybe I can have everyone go "
Christmas shopping" in the mall on that Saturday and then have a small family meal with some of our traditional foods for dinner on that Sunday. Going shopping would sure help me figure out what to get them for Christmas and who knows, maybe they will have Christmas in July sales!! I don't know if I can get them to sit and watch a Christmas movie at that time. I know I will be watching QVC when ever I can.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Merry -- I believe that QVC is having their Christmas In July Shows on BOTH Saturday and Sunday - the 25th & 26th, in July! Something to look forward to. (For those who do not get QVC -- I think you can watch most TV shows on "Hutu.com".)

Qltmrkt --- it is sad - but true - that most of our friends are not able to appreciate the joy of year-round Christmas love. If your daughters are willing to celebrate CIJ -- you are way ahead of the game!!!!!

Jinglemom.... thank you for the very fun links. I would really like to try them!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
For Christmas in July, I usually watch QVC as well. I rarely buy anything either, but just love to watch. I'm really looking foreward to spending some time, the whole month, planning for Christmas. I especially want to try out a few recipes in July since I have not been doing this on Rudolph days. On July 25th itself, my kids usually make these http://www.bhg.com/holidays/christmas/crafts/silly-faces-snowball-tabletop/ I only wish they were as cute as those. Being boys, they end up more like creatures (we have a one eyed one and one with a mustache). Don't ask me what I'm going to do with them, but they do like making them. I think this year, I'm going to add my large snowflakes to the pool just for fun. They are made out of a pool noodle type foam, so they float. I'm hoping to find some small white balloons at the party store so they can have a 'snowball' fight with water balloons. I'm thinking I might also make them these http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/ice-cream-tree-685133/. They can decorate them with little candies and sprinkles.

jinglemom - what FANTASTIC ideas! how did you make the snowflakes from pool noodles? I love snowflakes and this sounds awesome! I'm going to have to try these with the boys!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Colleen, I didn't make the snowflakes, I bought them at dollar tree. They just happened to be made out of the same type of foam that pool noodles are made from. I imagine if you did want to make some you could try making them from styrofoam sheets. The thin foam sheets that you can cut with scissors float too. :)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Jinglemom - The snowballs are cute. If yours turn out more like creatures, can you perhaps use them to decorate for Halloween?

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Jinglemom - The snowballs are cute. If yours turn out more like creatures, can you perhaps use them to decorate for Halloween?

Kim Loves Snow...I never thought about whether I could use them for Halloween. Since they are all white, they do still kind of look like snowballs (just not very cute ones :) ). I'm going to look at them again and see if that might work. I know a couple do have orange gemstone eyes (ds12's favorite color). I did think about using them to make a grinch-ish type tree using a metal outdoor ice tree with some snowflakes and put it in one of their bedrooms. I have some grinchy worded signs that say 'be naughty....save Santa the trip' and '1 day of coal...365 days of fun, I'll take my chances' and place them on the door.

You gave me a great idea though. I think they would like to make some Halloween ones in halloween colors and hang them on some bare branches for Halloween.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Christmas In July! Yesterday - the first day of our celebration month....... was a "Real Life Day"..... and it reminded me how WONDERFUL real life days can be! Spontaneously..... we had a visit from dd and the dgs! Spending time with people we love is, of course, one of the most precious things we do at Christmas! AND -- yesterday was a PERFECT reminder that.... if we do keep working on our routines and our decluttering.... then when Real Life Happens.... we will be able to take care of/enjoy what is happening! SO.... WORKING during Christmas In July is very good insurance for us!!!!!

Then..... THIS morning..... I asked myself" "Self - what would you do if CHRISTMAS itself were this month, for real.... and not just CIJ?" And.. I immediately answered....... "Work On Christmas Cards!" So... that is what I WILL do.

Double benefits for THAT! I get to "play" with pretty, Christmassy things...... and, hopefully, I will get some REAL Christmas work done!

But first.... I will do "routines".... putting the house in better order..... for ME to enjoy..... and to be ready in case "real life" comes up with MORE surprises today!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Christmas In July -- I am really going to rely on this to help me get through July!!!!!! Today is July 3rd --- and, in a couple of days, we are predicted to hit 100 degrees or above. AND -- the long-range forecast -- for most of the east coast USA -- is for the high 90's -- OR ABOVE -- for ALL of July and August! The hottest summer on record!!!!

Every single Christmassy thought will be very very very welcome!!!!!

OK -- on to positive things! The Hallmark Channel is having TWO Christmas movies -- repeated several time this weekend. Dolly Parton in "A Smokey Mountain Christmas" -- with her beautiful singing voice!! And then.... "Christmas In Canaan". I don't know anything about the second -- but I WILL be watching it! Don't you just love Christmas movies?

Tiny bit by tiny bit, I will continue decluttering. BUT..... I am NOT going to set any records for achievement during July and August! JUST keeping up routines... and doing a tiny bit of decluttering every day..... will be just fine!

I am HOPING..... that doing LOTS of Christmas celebrating.... and SOME Christmas prep.... will help me stay happy during July and August!!! :santa:

Last edited:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
SparkleNana - While these temperatures are just miserale (for me at least) there is a positive. It makes me want to stay inside in the AC which in turn makes me look around and see what needs to be done and then I work on it. Little by little...that is what gets things done. I've learned from you!!

So, bring on the heat...and a reason to stay home in the AC!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Christmas In July -- I am really going to rely on this to help me get through July!!!!!! Today is July 3rd --- and, in a couple of days, we are predicted to hit 100 degrees or above. AND -- the long-range forecast -- for most of the east coast USA -- is for the high 90's -- OR ABOVE -- for ALL of July and August! The hottest summer on record!!!!

Every single Christmassy thought will be very very very welcome!!!!!

OK -- on to positive things! The Hallmark Channel is having TWO Christmas movies -- repeated several time this weekend. Dolly Parton in "A Smokey Mountain Christmas" -- with her beautiful singing voice!! And then.... "Christmas In Canaan". I don't know anything about the second -- but I WILL be watching it! Don't you just love Christmas movies?

Tiny bit by tiny bit, I will continue decluttering. BUT..... I am NOT going to set any records for achievement during July and August! JUST keeping up routines... and doing a tiny bit of decluttering every day..... will be just fine!

I am HOPING..... that doing LOTS of Christmas celebrating.... and SOME Christmas prep.... will help me stay happy during July and August!!! :santa:

SN Christmas In Canaan is a wonderful movie. It has Billy Ray Cyrus in it. We watched it last year & loved it.