Christmas Shopping 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think my grocery list for 2022 is complete.
I still need to get fresh fruit, bread and milk on Friday when I head to the shops for the last top up before Christmas Day.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I have pretty much completed my list, other than perishables, a "minimal" grab bag gift (last minute get together), and picking up a gift certificate. I'm praying my last few orders actually get here; all supposedly have shipped, two with tracking and one that usually provides tracking, but apparently (due to the holidays) is shipping USPS Standard for the holidays, and no tracking. Had I known that, I would have upgraded shipping. I order from them all the time and have always gotten tracking with standard shipping. Ugh! If not, a picture will get wrapped up for under the tree.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Supposed to pick up my ham Thursday. Will have to watch the weather. I get there right when they open so hopefully bad weather will come later in the day. Will stop at the store for perishables and that’s it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Phew, when I look back at all I had to buy this year I am surprised that I managed it. Between prices skyrocketing and a lot of items still not available I managed to get pretty much all on my list and what I could not get I had to find a substitute for.

I will set down very soon and decide on a rough plan for what I need to do for next year and make a start.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
It seems like I did more shopping online this year then I ever had. The shipping cost on some items was crazy. sometimes more than the item. So there were things I didn’t get. Prices on pretty much everything was higher. It was an expensive Christmas.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
If it hadn't been for online shopping, no one would have gotten any of the major gifts.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Prices on pretty much everything was higher. It was an expensive Christmas.
I agree. We still managed to buy most of what was on our list but we did have to cut back.
I have increased my fortnightly payment that goes into our Christmas account by $5 per fortnight so I hope that helps.
I had $190 to spend on my supermarket rewards card and I spent $140 which was a tremendous help and I have $70 on another which I have not touched as yet. I will roll both remaining amounts over to the new year and hope that it will help with the budget.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Katrina, that's a great start towards next year's budget!

I've already made my 2023 Christmas budget out. Now, to work toward the goal!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We made decisions this year to cut on amounts & gifts. I will rewrite down my guidelines to help for next year. And I've decided to be a "book-aunt" ... I will try to find books for everyone.. now to convince myself and others that gently-used can do a good job too.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We made decisions this year to cut on amounts & gifts. I will rewrite down my guidelines to help for next year. And I've decided to be a "book-aunt" ... I will try to find books for everyone.. now to convince myself and others that gently-used can do a good job too.
I do the bulk of my book gift shopping at the thrift store. I have found beautiful books many that have never been cracked open. There many more choices, as you can find out of print or hard to find books too.
Some of the book dealers do have excellent sales if you watch. The company that I have used for the signed first editions for my son is currently having a warehouse sale with huge discounts on signed books.
I’ve bought other gifts at the thrift shop too. And I don’t feel the least bit guilty about it- the recipients have loved the gifts. I’m not just buying a piece junk but, something that is perfect for that person. Often times it’s something they have been looking for and couldn’t find or something from their childhood they wished they still had.
I hope I’ve helped.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina, that's a great start towards next year's budget!

I've already made my 2023 Christmas budget out. Now, to work toward the goal!
Thanks. Things were tighter this year but managable. When looking at the budget there are two choices, spend less or save more. I am adamant that while I can afford to do a wonderful Christmas I will. It will take a bit of creativity but we will get there.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
And I've decided to be a "book-aunt" ... I will try to find books for everyone.. now to convince myself and others that gently-used can do a good job too.
I got 7 books from DD, a series that she thought I would like. All the books came from either ebay or a used book shop and to honest you cannot even tell that some of them are pre loved. If she had of bought the books new I would not have gotten the full set as it would have been way too expensive.

My boss did a themed Christmas a few years back. The idea was to gift a book that you had read through the year and had thoroughly enjoyed. Once you had read the book you passed it on to someone else in the group. I thought it was a great idea.

• Love
Reactions: halimer and luludou

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do the bulk of my book gift shopping at the thrift store. I have found beautiful books many that have never been cracked open. There many more choices, as you can find out of print or hard to find books too.
Some of the book dealers do have excellent sales if you watch. The company that I have used for the signed first editions for my son is currently having a warehouse sale with huge discounts on signed books.
I’ve bought other gifts at the thrift shop too. And I don’t feel the least bit guilty about it- the recipients have loved the gifts. I’m not just buying a piece junk but, something that is perfect for that person. Often times it’s something they have been looking for and couldn’t find or something from their childhood they wished they still had.
I hope I’ve helped.
I agree. One of the best gifts I have ever given was found at a garage sale. The lady I gave it to cried when she hugged me. I spent $3 for it.