Christmas Shopping 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Loved being able to stop at Cracker Barrels on our trip from Maryland to Washington. We don’t have Cracker Barrel in Washington. I picked up a book and journal for Sophia as well as a couple of decor items. We will hit the last Cracker Barrel this afternoon before there are no more - they were just putting out Christmas at the last one so I’m anxious to see what else has been added.

For our UK friends, Cracker Barrel is a restaurant that has an amazing gift shop, like an old time general store, and they have amazing inventory.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Not sure where to ask this but:
Has anybody tried the new pumpkin spice over ice k cups? I just saw them online and wondered how they are.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Not sure where to ask this but:
Has anybody tried the new pumpkin spice over ice k cups? I just saw them online and wondered how they are.
I have not, but it sounds yummy!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Heading into the "Ber months and the push is on. I will use part of the HGP to really start preparing for Christmas and Summer items.
Looking a the stockpile it is pretty good but will need to make room in the freezers for more "Summer" type foods.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
With only 2 months to go it is time for me to empty the pantry and stockpile and both the freezers. I want to make absolute certain what I have on hand so that I don't start buying items that I don't need.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
How are we doing on our grocery lists. I just need to buy bacon, eggs and waffles and the day before Christmas will buy all the fresh goods.

Always interested in the sales. I saw Cranberry Jelly on special a few days ago. Normally $2.55 but it was selling for 75c. The use by date was April 2024 so I bought a jar to put in my stockpile. I know that I will use it next Christmas so was glad to pick that up on such a saving.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Have done minimal Christmas shopping, other than a few small things that caught my eye while I was on vacation. I need to get my house in order this week and then get some shopping in, in earnest. Carpet cleaners on Monday (for office area, smells of my dog, and it's the first room anyone who comes in from my lower level sees), carpet install in my bedroom on Tuesday, blood work on Weds., Bible study on Thurs. Hoping to get some Christmas decor out today and get autumn decor stowed. Maybe some online shopping this evening?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I talked to DS's family yesterday. Most want money, so as badly as I hate it, I told DH I think I'm going to get each one gift and put money in with the one gift. I have already gotten most of them one thing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I talked to DS's family yesterday. Most want money, so as badly as I hate it, I told DH I think I'm going to get each one gift and put money in with the one gift. I have already gotten most of them one thing.
How do you decide how much to give to people? Does everyone get the same amount?
I am not sure of just giving money, like you it is not something that I like.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have a Christmas club account that I put money into each year and have decided ahead how much I'll spend on each person. I work toward having enough each year to cover that budget, plus some to cover extra food costs or other expenses related to Christmas.

I usually spend about the same amount (as closely as possible) on our children and their spouses. I spend less on our grandchildren.

That's probably different than many who possibly spend more on their grandchildren.

I guess I do it like that because my parents did it like that. It was less for each generation going down.

We don't buy big gifts for extended family. I often give a family food gift to my nieces and their families. Sometimes, it's things they can cook together as a family. For example, cookie mixes with sprinkles or pizza kits, s'mores kits.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Once we reached adulthood, my parents began traveling more. Mom would often crochet in the evenings and, in order to get Christmas gifts to us economically, she made snowflake ornaments for us -- each year she selected a different pattern (her pattern book is labeled with years in which she made that snowflake for all of us). The snowflakes were stiffened with a water/glue mixture and easily slipped into a Christmas card. Once the grandchildren started arriving, they selected an ornament for each child from a place they'd visited during the year. This gave the kids their own ornament collection for when they moved away from home, and then they began receiving snowflake ornaments. Today, her great grands get the regular ornament and all the grandchildren received snowflakes (up until last year, when mom quit crocheting). I think all of us cherish those snowflakes more than any other gift we've received.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I use to send nieces/nephews Heritage gifts. I recipes from my mom and aunts one years, Copied their recipe cards so it was their hand writing, wrote a story about the recipe. I used photos of them at different ages. One year it was all about the “Lost in America” family. This was all about my mother’s family. One year it was all about my Dad’s mother. It was a low cost gift but time consuming. Everyone loved them.

I do not worry about if my gifts are “fair”. The people who spend the most time with me or keep contact get the better gifts. Sometimes I might find the perfect gift for someone so I will spend extra on it. If I do not hear from someone for years I stop sending gifts and cards.

Reactions: luludou and Lori K