CiJ 2011-Day 16 Saturday

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Morning ladies. What Christmas things do you have on your agende for today? I will be gone most of the day today so can't do anything specific. I can spend some of the long drive time thinking of ideas for Christmas gifts and stuff. However since I am driving no writing it down. Maybe I can listen to some music in the car.

Sending thought of jingle bells and snowflakes.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi piratemama!!!! We have made it to CIJ Day 16 ---- in beautiful shape. It seems to me that a lot of our MHH Family has used some of the CIJ Days..... to "treat ourselves" to "mental CIJ celebrations"! We have read posts and shared ideas and shared memories....... and built up our own, individual "mental storehouses" of Christmas thoughts and good will!!!! I have sensed a lot of "internal growth" among our MHH Family! We are SUCH a good group!!!!!!

Imagine yourself being welcomed into two separate houses at Christmas: (1) the first house is beautifully clean and decorated.... but the friend who welcomes you inside.... seems to be somewhat stressed, exhausted and distracted. When you sit down for a cup of chocolate with her.... she seemd to be thinking about a lot of other things.... and anxious for you to be on your way.... so she can get back to her long list of Christmas chores!

(2) the second house is somewhat cluttered... and not so "company-ready". But when your friend hands you a cup of hot chocolate and sits down to chat with you...... her smile is so warm.... and her eyes dance with happiness to see you! She is eager to hear what you have to say..... and laughs and listens... and savors her time with you. She makes you feel that spending time with you.... is one of the nicest, most precious things that she could do today!

This Chrismas in July.... many of our MHH Family members.... seem to be shifting away fom being the first kind of person..... and becoming more like the second kind of person. Looking forward to preparing for a somewhat different kind of Christmas this year.

Personally.... I love appreciating every decoration.... every bit of food and beverage.... every Christmas movie!! I love all the physical manifestations of Christmas.... and I will do my best to prepare them. But.... especially this year..... there seems to be something more........

Last edited:

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
SN, as usual your wise words really hit home with me!

DH and I always host an annual Christmas party, usually the Saturday before Christmas. One year DH's brother and his wife went to Asheville, NC to celebrate BIL's birthday and enjoy the fabulous Christmas at Biltmore (the famous Vanderbilt estate) so they had to miss our party.

Now BIL and his wife are affulent and childless and their house is perfect in every way. Clean, beautiful, meticulously decorated. BIL is constantly improving it. We are not at all affluent and have 2 kids. DH is not that handy and I'm no neat freak so, needless to say, our home is nothing like theirs. I always wondered what they really thought when they visited our home.

THe next year Iasked sis-in-law if they were going back to celebrate BIL's birthday again as they'd enjoyed it so much. SHe said, "Oh, no! George and I agreed that we'd never miss your party again for anything." SHe said they'd spent the evening in front of a roaring fire, surronded by perfect decorations in the most beautiful, oppulent setting you could imagine. But all they'd done was talk about our party and what we must be doing and "do you think we can call or will they not hear the phone over the noise of the party?"

Now I never worry about making my house perfect to entertain. If the one couple I thought my find our home wanting prefer our party to the Biltmore estate, then I guess we're doing something right.

Happy Christmas in JUly!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
That is the best compliment!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Mo-what a wonderful gift that was to you! I know I sometimes wonder what others thing when they see my place but realize I should not compair myself to others.

SN-such true words, not every one can/enjoys/understands planning this early and that's fine but what a bleesing it is to ourselves when we are prepared and can be a blessing to others

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Mo~just shows that we just don't really know what people think. :0) I also feel that cozy, warm and welcoming always wins out.

SN~very well said!

I did buy one gift yesterday, Davy Crockett DVD set for my dad for Christmas. He's into that retro tv and westerns. Sam's Club had a huge selection of dvds under 10 dollars. I am going to go back and get more for gifts later in the year. I'm not sure what I'll do today....

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Blogged, baked and ran errands for tomorrow's horse show. The letter for the day is B and that now stands for BED! Exhausted...but I did manage to make it to the Hallmark Ornament Premiere and pick up two ornaments. The other two on my list won't be out until October.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I've read some blogs & posted where I could. Lucie I left you a comment yesterday but it's not showing.

Coming to this thread has added to my CIJ celebration even more. Sparklenana's thoughtful words are always appreciated.

And Mo I LOVE your story. What a wonderful compliment...

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Today we ate dinner at Cracker Barrell. I bought two stocking stuffers and a gift for my mom and sister.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
PirateMom: I come up with some of my best ideas while driving. Scary thought huh? LOL Your kind thoughts of jinglebells and snowflakes was right on spot because I spent most of the morning un-decorating some garland that had tons of snowflakes in it. The garland is still in good shape but the ornamentation was weathered and needs replacing.

SparkleNana; You are my Christmas Angel with that beautiful reminder to all of us to appreciate the real reasons for celebrating. I'm beginning to think you have a little Cajun in you. It is very important to us to stop whatever you are doing and give guests a beverage and 100% of your attention. Of course I want the clean and organized home so that I can enjoy my guests but my home will always be lived in and not in a showcase.

cmerth; What is Christmas crackers? I'm glad you got to relax today. Everyone needs time to rejuvenate.

LadyEvenstar: That was such a beautiful compliment and you should be very proud.

Teacherof2: Your Dad will love that. For an old western you might try John Wayne. I know my Dad loves old John Wayne movies. If I could only teach him to operate the DVD player. Sigh!

Pamela; I'm so glad you got a couple of the ornaments you wanted. I'm sure they will look spectacular on your tree this year.

girlsinmo; You are so right. I've never felt this much Christmas spirit in the heart of July. It's amazing what wonderful folks we have here.