CIJ 2022- Day 31. Put it on the calendar

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What a wonderful month we have had. I am pleased to be able to wrap up CIJ for 2022.

One of the things a lot of us find is that after all the preparations and excitement in the lead up to Christmas and the events of the day, all of a sudden it is over and we have a case of the Post Christmas Blues.

I know that it happens to me every year. I love Christmas. I work hard on the plans, the shopping, the cooking and all that goes into making the season the best it can be for both my family and I. When it is over it is like saying good bye to a dear friend that we will not be seeing for another year.

For some the Christmas season wraps up on Boxing Day, some NYE and for others it lasts well into January. Most of us get quite a long break between Christmas and NY and we should use this time off work and school to enjoy the quieter days after Christmas. Rest, relax, recharge and reflect.

Use the time in the lead up to decide what activities you would like to do before Christmas and what you would like to save for after Christmas. By having an idea well before Christmas you will have time to buy tickets, ingredients for meals, craft supplies etc and have them available. It may take a little planning but think the extra effort will be worth it.

Here are a few activities that I have thought of to be enjoyed in the time after Christmas with the hopes of keeping the blues away.

*Celebrate. Sit and discuss as a family what a wonderful Christmas season you have had. What worked, what didn’t? What did the family enjoy most? Was that new recipe a hit or a miss? What can you live without and what would you like to add?

*Make some notes in your planner for next year.

*Have a silent night, turn off the electronics and talk about your favourite Christmas, was it this one? One from the past or maybe one for the future.

*Record some moments. Did a frustrating moment from this year teach you patience, teach you a lesson? Did a new tradition present itself, was it planned was it an accident?

*Make a list of people that you would like to thank, write a note or a letter, send an email or text, ask the kids to write a thank you to Santa.

*Did you remember to take a family photo in front of the tree?

*Do you scrapbook? Is there anything you will need to save for your 2022 page?

*Have a pull down the tree party. One of our members, Holiday_Mom gathers her family, prepares music and snacks and has a party to say goodbye to the tree.

*Plant a tree, as we say good bye to one tree plant another for the future.

*Practice peace. Start the new year by practicing eliminating harsh words and negative thoughts.

*Pack a car picnic. Pack hot chocolate, gloves, blankets and some snacks, go for a drive and enjoy the company.

*Prepare, buy, borrow enough books to read one a night for the nights between Christmas and New Year. The library would have many titles available.

*Have a movie night. Snuggle under a blanket put on some socks, pop some corn and watch a movie or recorded show. Borrow one from the library or did Santa bring one? Make a movie night box containing your favourite snacks and drinks.

*Have a candy cane hunt. Like an Easter Egg hunt but for Candy Canes.

*Make some snow ice cream. There are plenty of recipes out there.

*Find a hot chocolate recipe to make. Don't forget the marshmellows.

*If you didn’t get a chance before Christmas make a Gingerbread House.

*Make snowflakes out of paper and glitter. Christmas is over but Winter isn’t. Decorate the house for Winter.

*Pull out a puzzle or a game, make the time. Pop on some music and puzzle away.

*Meal plan. Let each family member pick a meal, grab the ingredients and cook it all together. (This one would need a bit of pre planning to ensure you had the ingredients available).

*Let’s have brunch in our pyjamas.

*Have a s’mores night. Rug up, inside or outside, make it fun.

*Pre purchase tickets to a show or event, it might be quieter after Christmas and less crowded. They could be a wonderful gift for under the tree.

*Keep wrapping paper tubes, gift cards and cards. Do a craft, make some cards or gift tags for next year. Have a craft box ready. Fill it with paper, scissors, glue sticks, crayons and textas, stickers, pom poms and ice cream sticks.

*Let the kids make a Christmas movie. Record it on your phone, like old family movies.

*Have a conversation and record it. If there are still grandparents ask them to tell you about Christmas when they were young, record it for the future.

*Have a spa day before heading back to work or school. Book in that hair cut or manicure for when things are not so rushed and you have a bit more time to relax. If you don’t want to go out do a spa day at home. Colour your hair, paint your nails, soak your feet. A bit of pampering is a good thing.

*Cull something/declutter. Did the kids get a lot, can they donate some?

*Use up the leftovers or freeze them for later. Find a new recipe. Set the table and really enjoy them….

*Have a loungeroom picnic. Make invitations and some treats. Invite a friend or the kids best toy.

*Have a loungeroom sleep over. Pull out the sleeping bags and blankets and sleep under the tree.

*Ask the kids to draw the tree. Purchase sketch books and pencils and do some sketching.

*Look at toys from the past. Can the kids make a string telephone using some cans and string? A pom pom out of yarn, paper chains, card lanterns? What did we do when we were kids?

*Make some plans for the New Year. Ask the family members 2 or 3 things that they would like to achieve in the new year.

*Set up your planner.

*Do some groceries, it may be a great time to pick up some post Christmas bargains.

*Do some shopping either in store or online, get a start on the gift closet.

*Do the kids need back to school supplies?

*Start a Christmas club account if you don’t have one. Get a head start on the new year.

*Use the HGP debriefing form.

*Invite some friends over for afternoon tea or dinner.

*Donate to a charity after Christmas when they may need the help.

*Volunteer at a shelter. They may need extra helpers and dog walkers over the holidays.

*Set up a NYE basket similar to Christmas. Include sparklers, champagne, poppers and snacks.

*If the kids are too young to stay up until midnight celebrate at 9pm.

*Learn about the 12 days of Christmas….what does it mean?

*Pick a family word of the year, discuss its meaning, make a family contract.

Hopefully there are a few ideas here that may help keep the Post Christmas Blues at bay. If you have any tips or ideas to share please post them below.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do not get the blues after Christmas because I am already planning the next one right after Christmas guest leave. In my mind Christmas never ends. Can't wait to start doing some of the items on the list.

I have been talking Christmas so much one LC is now working on putting together her Christmas notebook. We talked about some of her Christmas traditions she wants to start doing again. Some of her memories from childhood she was wondering about and we found items on Ama-zon that she plans on ordering. Today we were lookin up the history of Advent and then meaning behind the colors of the candles. Such fun.

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful CIJ information and for taking the time to put it all together. I am printing off some of it to put in my notebook.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
One night between Christmas and NYE that's kind of becoming a tradition is getting together with friends, who're often too busy with their own family holiday events as Christmas draws near. We like to do a leftovers event. Make something with your leftovers and bring it to share, pot-luck style. We can share stories of our Christmas celebrations, what went well, what did not, "remind me to not make so much of XXX next year", and to share any extended family news (who announced they were expecting, whose kid got engaged, any new jobs that will move kids or siblings to another part of the country, etc.).

And to all who helped make CIJ such a joy, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Last edited:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I have so enjoyed CIJ! Thanks to all! What fun to lift the spirits and be inspired!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
One of the things I do right after the new year-
I spend a whole week watching Christmas movies every evening.
The Holidays tend to be so busy so to just sit every evening and enjoy a movie without thinking of all the things I should be doing, is wonderful.

I also will pick a book to begin right in January.

These give me things to look forward too.

I know a lot of people get sad in January and I always feel a ping when packing up the decorations but once it's done and my space is cleared and organized, I actually really love January.

It's a month to snuggle in and dream and plan the year ahead.

Annie