CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades 1950s: Christmas Decorations and Other Merriments of the Season - Day 9

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Again, the 1950s saw a transition due to the new technology of the time. The space age technology spilled over into homes. It was the beginning of mid-century modern for some while others were holding true to the traditions they had always known.

Remember, plastics were the new answer to anything that was being made. Along with that came artificial trees. The trees weren’t of the quality that is available today, but many saw them as a one-and-done solution. They didn’t shed. They could be stored away and pulled out whenever families were ready for them the next year or years, and no going to a cold tree lot or into the woods to search for the perfect one! Then, there were those who still wanted that experience of looking for the perfect tree, as well as the scent that only a fresh tree can give a home during the Christmas season.
1688849670647.png 1688849700933.png

Aluminum was another new-to-the-scene product being widely offered to consumers. Reynolds Aluminum company even offered a how-to craft book using their foil. Who can forget the aluminum trees that were popular during that time? I have a friend who has one she puts up every year. Because electric lights couldn’t be put on the trees (talk about a shock!), an alternative way of lighting was invented – a light wheel with changing colors was set off at a distance and rotated to reflect the colors on the tree! I remember several being set up on the stage at school in the gymnasium every year during the basketball tournament which was in December. Another aluminum product popular at the time was tinsel. Often so much that one could hardly see the decorations on the tree.

Mass production of ornaments made glass ornaments affordable for most households. Instead of trees decorated with hand-crafted ornaments and Christmas cards, themed Christmas trees began to be the way to go. Remember, this was a new era with an impression to make. Paper chains and popcorn strings began to be replaced by shiny baubles.

The company best known for producing glass ornaments was Shiny Bright – a company that is still producing ornaments. You can read about their history here:

1688849764463.png 1688849792279.png

Outside lighting was still very sparse, but thanks to the use of plastics, molded outside decorations were used to create outside scenes, having their most popular time from 1952 – 1958. Smaller versions were placed in windows, on credenzas, or pianos. I have a snowman that belonged to my parents that I remember fondly from my childhood. It takes a proud position on a side table during the holidays – it’s usually one of the first decorations I put out. I found this Santa at a thrift store a few years ago.

1688850266704.png HIS EYES LOOK A LITTLE CRAZY TO ME! LOL!

While lighting outside may have been sparse, things were changing for the way the trees inside were lit. The first electric lights were offered to the public in 1903 by GE. Before then, only the wealthiest families could afford to buy them because they were made by hand by electricians. The bubble light was invented in the 1940s, but by the 1950s, they were the must have light of the time. C7 and C9 lights were also used. How many of you remember burning your fingers on those lights?

1688849926665.png

As if all the Christmas decorations weren’t enough to put one in the mood for Christmas, there were movies and music to add to the merriment. Of those, one of the most memorable is White Christmas by Irving Berlin. Others include Lemon Drop Kid, Susan Slept Here, We’re No Angels, The Holly and the Ivy, and the 1951 version of Charles Dicken’s A Christmas Carol is considered to be the best version by some. Admittedly, I've only seen the first and last listed - something for me to do to expand my horizons!

You may be surprised to find that in 1950, two Christmas songs were at the top of the Billboard Chart. Blue Christmas, not by Elvis, but by Ernest Tubb, even though Elvis had his share of top selling Christmas songs during the 1950s. The other, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry. No one can forget White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby in the movie by the same name. It wasn’t its first appearance in a movie, having been used in Holiday Inn in the 1940s. Here is a link to some of the lesser-known songs of the 1950s (few familiar to me ones in there):

Join us tomorrow as we will look at how the changes of the 1950s brought changes to the food served at Christmas.

Attachments

• 1688849521737.png
    1688849521737.png
    751.1 KB · Views: 2

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I not only read about Shiny and Bright article, but also clicked on the link for aluminum trees in the article. Both were a fun read! My father's parents had the aluminum tree with the color wheel. We had these old ornaments on my parents tree. They were so pretty. But we couldn't touch!

I have seen the movies: White Christmas -own on DVD, Lemon Drop Kid - own on DVD (It's sooooo funny! And the the song Silver Bells!!!), and the 1951 version of Charles Dicken’s A Christmas Carol - maybe like saw it once (although my favs for A Christmas Carol are the musical one with Albert Finney and also the Muppet's Christmas Carol)

I have not seen the movies but now want to: Susan Slept Here, We’re No Angels, The Holly and the Ivy

That was a fun Christmas song video ... I knew most of them! :)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Reynolds Aluminum company even offered a how-to craft book using their foil.
OMG! I had that book! When I was 6, in 1953, my mom and I took the train cross country to spend Christmas with her sister's family in Los Angeles. My mom got the book to entertain us on the trip as it took 3 days to get from NYC to LA. What a memory!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Lori - Fun short. I hear the song every year at Christmastime but didn't know where it came from. I recognized the singer's name, Norma Zimmer. She used to sing on the Lawrence Welk show.

Last edited:
Reactions: jampss and Lori K

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We had tinsel on our tree until it became harder and harder to find. We'd clump it on but my mom would gracefully put it on the tree strand by strand. We had the outdoor 3 ft. plastic candles on each side of our outside entrance. My mom loved Elvis and played his Christmas album all the time. I recognized that Elvis song from the video immediately! And Suzy Snowflake... Well, that song was in my Christmas piano song book. I learned how to play it but I never heard it on the radio. Today was the first time I heard the original song. It brought back piano playing memories.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm an old soul and love everything about the 50's Mid-Century Christmas. I wish I lived during the glamour, but I try and recreate bits of the happiness for myself each ear. I'd love to have an aluminum tree and have told my daughter if she's ever at a garage sale or just comes across one in life...GRAB IT FOR ME!! I just love the sparkle!