CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL

Welcome to Christmas in July 2023. As DH and I were traveling last summer the idea for this year’s theme came to me, Christmas Through the Decades.

I asked DH questions about his childhood Christmases and what he enjoyed most about Christmas. We had quite a long discussion about our childhood memories of Christmas past. Our favorite family events, toys, traditions, and foods.

It is hoped that this will inspire memories we can share with one another as well as increase our knowledge as to how some traditions began.

Sprinkled in are some Special Days of the history, events, or icons of Christmas. Pleasel share your own family traditions and memories as we travel Through the Decades. Tomorrow LoriK will start us off as we look at the 1940s. For today, I leave you with a couple of links regarding Dear Old Santa. The first link is a pictorial history and the second link is the history of the Coca Cola Santa. Merry Christmas in July!

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/a-pictorial-history-of-santa-claus

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
We're off to a wonderful start!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Only Christmas memory from my early life is about my Aunt Erna’s Chocolate Covered Cherries. Dh also had a dysfunctional childhood so neither of us had traditions to carry on. I just made my own. As I get older I do less and no one is complaining. lol I love reading what others have to say.

Off to get lost in Christmas!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Only Christmas memory from my early life is about my Aunt Erna’s Chocolate Covered Cherries. Dh also had a dysfunctional childhood so neither of us had traditions to carry on. I just made my own. As I get older I do less and no one is complaining. lol I love reading what others have to say.

Off to get lost in Christmas!
Don't worry! I've got the 1940s, about a decade and a half before my time. But it was really fun researching it all. I worked as a researcher for about 20 of my 33 years in publishing, so it's something I really love. I hope you enjoy it.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Happy Christmas in July, everyone! Kicking off the celebration this evening with a Poinsettia cocktail (pomegranate cherry juice with Prosecco) and Three Wise Men and a Baby on the Hallmark Channel.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I had lunch today with Jody and her DH. What fun! I told her that the family who first battled coca-cola lived in Monroe.

They always decorate the family home for Christmas, and I've never gone. Should be something I do this year!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Happy Christmas in July ladies! I will be turning on Great American Family or Hallmark for Christmas movies. Hope to stop in to see what everyone is doing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
So excited to see this first post. It is going to be a great month.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Very awesome and exciting!

Annie

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
What fun! :)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I loved the Santa pics through the years article! At the bottom, I clicked on a random related link for an old movie .... Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, 1964. Hmmmm ... I have never heard of this but it intrigues me. LOL