CIJ Day 12- Put it On The Tree

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
2022 07 03 CIJ Banner (2).png

I thought a little Christmas ornament history might be fun! Celebrating Adam and Eve with an Apple Tree? Who knew?!

Where did putting ornaments on a tree come from?
https://www.grunge.com/669128/the-real-reason-we-put-ornaments-on-the-christmas-tree/

What are some amusing things folks put on a Christmas tree?

Funny (1).png
(Click on the pictures and they open up bigger, I believe)

I have never done a silly tree, but it could be fun maybe for a second tree in say a family room or something. Growing up, we had two trees. One tree in the living room and our 'kid' tree in the play porch. It had all our homemade ornaments on it. We thought we were special with our own tree. Looking back ... LOL ... I think my mother didn't want the homemade ones on the regular tree! ;)

Funny (2).png
(Click on the pictures and they open up bigger, I believe)

The Darth Vader one made me laugh. And oops ... the cat in the tree happened! The year we got Axl cat ... 2016, we opted to not have a tree at all thinking as a kitten, he would wind up climbing it!

Did you know how Woolworth's started selling Christmas ornaments? Cute story.

Woolworth's Museum
http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/xmasdecs.htm

I remember my mom having my great grandmother's vintage ornaments on our tree. I seem to remember that they were German made. They were so neat looking. Only she hung those ... We kids were not allowed to touch them. :D

Do you have a favorite ornament? My second favorite ornament is a pretty wooden violin ... I played the violin (badly) in grade school through the first half of 9th grade in Ohio. Then my mother moved us to Florida and the school did not have Orchestra. I bought the violin ornament many many years ago at a Christmas shop. BUT my FAVORITE ornaments have always been what my kids made and, yes, I put them right on our one and only living room Christmas tree for all to see! ;)

• Love
Reactions: luludou

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I set small bird houses in my tree. I have several bird ornaments I made hanging on the tree and thought why not? Fills in the gaps nicely. I also have red apples ornaments on the tree. Some are looking pretty cracked and I have had to toss a few. This year I plan to put them in a bowl with some pine cones.

I toy with how many ornaments to place on the tree. Just enough to still see branches or covered and so full it is nothing but lights and baubles? I have so many styles of ornaments too, from homemade kid ornaments, store bought, handmade, to nature. Does any one put a nest in there tree?

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
The ones that are tipping over are very creative. I've seen one in that style with a Grinch theme, very cute.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
When I was a child, our cat climbed our tree and knocked it over. After that, I seem to remember my dad using fishing line to tie the tree to the drapery rod so it couldn't be moved if the cat did it again.

I have some vintage ornaments from my MIL that I cherish and put on the tree every year, and quite a few my DH had before we married. My mom used to crochet a different unique snowflake pattern every year and give my sisters and I a snowflake for our tree, adding one for our kids as they were born. I have probably 30+ hand-made snowflakes. I used to hang them on garland on our fireplace mantle; I now have a small 3' tree in my family room and decorate that tree with white lights and the snowflake ornaments.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
LOVE Christmas History!
Thank you for sharing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have some amazing decorations.
One of my favourites is 2 wooden bears holding a heart which was from DH and I first year married in 1986.
When DS was born I bought him a "baby's 1st Christmas" decoration and a tradition was made. I buy the kids a special decoration every year and write the year on the bottom. When it comes time to decorate the tree I start with the first one and go year by year until this year. The kids have got some amazing decorations.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My favorite ornaments are my grandmas. They are very old, tarnished, some are cracked but I love them anyway ways.

We have a artificial birds nest for the living room tree. My (step) son has a real birds nest. It was in the tree we cut down our first Christmas together in 1994 after I married his dad. I was surprised to find out they had never had a live tree much less cut one down. We still talk about getting that first tree.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have my piggy tree!

All pig ornaments!

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
One year when the twins were toddlers, after the tree was beautifully and artistically decorated, Dd found a naked Barbie doll nestled on a branch…compliments of Dgd. They had red birds on the tree, and the twins would take off a bird, cradle it in their hands, take it to Dd, and whisper “Look!” Dd hangs framed picture ornaments of her dogs who have passed on, as a sweet memory.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Lori now that you mention it I remember mom tying the tree up with fishing lines! the problem wasn't the cats... it was the aunts and uncles being a bit tipsy and made the tree fall a few times!
My favorit is a santa that I bought with my own money when I was 16. I too have birds in the tree and a few nests, dried oranges, candy canes, souvenirs from places we visited... love my tree and my ornaments.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I love reading about your favorite ornaments. I can't think of a favorite ornament. I do love to look at them though. One of the places that we've vacationed at has a Christmas ornament store that I like to browse through.