CIJ Day 15- Put in on the Shelf

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Over the next few days, we are going to talk about Elf on a Shelf. Many families with young children participate in Elf on a Shelf. Even families without young children like the magic of the Elf and participate for the enjoyment and magic it brings to the holiday season.

You can choose to introduce the Elf on December 1st and enjoy the shenanigans all month until Christmas Eve when the Elf gets whisked away by Santa. Or you can have the Elf arrive later, so you don’t have to come up with as many naughty incidents or gifts for the Elf to leave, if that is your jam.

However you choose to conduct your Elf business, just know that you will not regret the laughter, fun, and pure magic it will bring to your household during the holiday season, no matter the age of the participants.

Whether your Elf antics need to be kid friendly, or maybe your Elf is for adults and can be a little more naughty…Over the next few days, we will talk about and share ideas for introducing your Elf, the antics of the Elf, and the grand exit of the Elf.

Let's start with the Elf Arrival!

In our house, our Elf always arrives with a letter that explains the kids must be good, keep their rooms clean, he/she will report back to Santa, etc. Pretty much any information you want to put in it and then sign it in a special pen and unique handwriting with your Elf’s name. Ours arrives on the morning of December 1st. Sometimes our Elf brings a family board game or puzzle, or treat of some kind, and sometimes it just arrives with a letter.

Find below a website with a free printable letter. There are also several other free printables there for your Elf!

https://www.midgetmomma.com/elf-on-the-shelf-welcome-letter-printable/ (this site has lots of free printables)

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
The elf has made an appearance in my home and extended family since forever! Some time after we concluded Thanksgiving at my grandparents, the elf would magically appear hanging from or sitting on a light fixture, by DGM's bookshelf, or on her piano. And the elf would be waiting for us at home, when we returned. We were always reminded that "the elf is watching." Nothing else, only that Santa's elf was checking to make sure we were behaving, and if we didn't, Santa would know. Interestingly, when I married, I found out that my DH's family had the same tradition, and he had the same elves that my DGM had. We continued the tradition with my DD, and to this day, the elf appears and sits atop my china hutch throughout the season -- even though there are no "littles" in the house any more. When she comes for a visit, DD still checks to make sure he's there..
1657915871286.png

Reactions: jampss

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
maybe your Elf is for adults and can be a little more naughty
A friend has an Elf named Bob and his girlfriend is Lola, a pole dancer. Their antics were hilarious!
he had the same elves that my DGM had
That's a vintage elf you have there.

I gave my elf to Sophia for her classroom. Now that she's subbing, I wonder if I'll get him back? He was making an appearance in our house right up until she went away to college.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I did not grow up doing the elf on the shelf. However, my sister and I did have these elves that would sit with the long legs folded up into their circular arms. We just played with them at Christmas time. Mine was red and hers was green. I hadn't thought about those elves in years. Thanks for the reminder. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori, that is a wonderful story.

We never had elf on a shelf here although it is gaining popularity over the last few years.
We just told the kids that Santa knew if they had been good or not.

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We never had an elf either growing up. Never even heard of it until I had children.

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We didn't have elves growing up either and learned about it when my kids were teenagers but it's been a nice tradition. We all have elves, except dh, mine is Lollipop (for Lucie), Maxime's is M&M and Joannie's is Jujubes. I've found 2 more elves over the years that I like too.

Reactions: jampss

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I have 2 elves that mom got with either laundry soap or dish soap (look very similar to Lori’s). We tucked them in the tree not an elf on the shelf type thing. Never had it when our son was growing up either.

That being said I fell in love with Anna lee elves back in the 90’s. I think I have more elves stored under the bed than Santa has at the North Pole. I do something different every year with them. Last year they were “throwing” snowballs in the front hall.

Attachments

• 85348374-920D-46C8-8EE9-3ABF458A76F9.jpeg
    85348374-920D-46C8-8EE9-3ABF458A76F9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I did not grow up doing the elf on the shelf. However, my sister and I did have these elves that would sit with the long legs folded up into their circular arms. We just played with them at Christmas time. Mine was red and hers was green. I hadn't thought about those elves in years. Thanks for the reminder. :)
See if you can find them on eBay for a Christmas gift to both of you. Or at least something close to them.

Reactions: jampss and missjane