CIJ- Day 18 Put it Under the Tree

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
The tree is up, let’s put some things under it!

Tree skirts
A little history- the first tree skirts were used in Germany in the 1870’s to collect the the wax dripping from candles. They evolved becoming more decorative and Christmas villages and nativities were placed on them. Eventually gifts moved from being “on the tree”to “under the tree” on the skirt.

Tree skirts can be made from almost anything. From as simple as a white sheet or the glitter batting from Big Lots to expensive fabrics or elaborate designs. Round table cloths, ladies skirts, layers of tulle, the possibilities are endless. Tree skirts can become heirlooms. Skirts covered with handprints and/or signatures or extensive handiwork can be passed down to the next generations.

How big or small should your skirt be? It’s up to you! It is suggested that you not use one that is “too small” because it will look out of proportion to your tree.

Special considerations for live trees and tree skirts: For live trees place a plastic washing machine tray under a live tree to protect the floor from water. Your tree skit could suffer water damage when watering the tree.
Do you have pets? Consider something washable.

Looking for a new skirt? Here are a few ideas.
How to make a Christmas Tree Skirt

Easy Ruched Christmas Tree Skirt Tutorial

35 DIY Christmas Tree Skirt Ideas

Tree collars

Tired of tree skirts that bunch up and wrinkle and looking for something new? How about a tree collar to dress up under your tree? They eliminate the need for constant fixing of the skirt (especially if you have pets) and can give the illusion that tree is just a bit taller. Collars can also be used in combination with a tree skirt.
Things to consider:
Choosing the right size- the collar needs to be large enough the that your tree stand will fit inside of it. And tall enough that it covers the tree stand but will sit below the last row of branches.
Types- A solid ring that you set the tree inside of it.
Hinged- the ring has hinges so it can open and be set around the base of the tree.
Sectioned or panels- these snap together around the tree (the best for storage).
Live tree? Still need easy access to water your tree.
Material considerations-
Watering a live tree? You may want to consider plastic so the collar doesn’t get damaged from water spills.
While collars may discourage Miss Kitty from climbing your tree, collars made of woven material may become a scratching post.

Tree collars and other options:
Easy DIY Dollar Tree Christmas Tree Collars - Farmhouse Glam How-to

How to Make an EASY Christmas Tree Drum Skirt

HGTV - 5 Christmas Tree Skirt Alternatives
Tomorrow gift closets and gift shopping.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Love the history!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We use a burlap tree skirt (finally bought a new on a couple years ago), but I have been noticing the tree collars. May look into one this year. We have hardwood floors so I do like to have the tree skirt for presents to sit on. But we also put a second tree in the front room which has carpet. A collar would go nicely there.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Every Christmas when I bring out the tree skirt, I think of my Mum (not that I'm not thinking about her all the time!) because she bought it for me from Frederick & Nelson, a department store that used to be in Seattle. My parents lived in the Seattle area before they went back to England for retirement. It was a felt kit, I put it together and Vic ran it through the sewing machine to attach the fringe. We had a train set going around the tree on the edge of the tree skirt when Sophia was little.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Love the history.
Our old neighbors- the ones whose house is getting closed up- always placed their nativity scene under the tree.
I loved it. So beautiful.

I very glittery tree skirt.
I may move to a collar because the kitties do love the skirt. I'm constantly having to straighten it up.

Annie

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I still have that glitter cotton batting stuff that mom bought back in the 60’s. I think she got it at Grants. I’m going to do something with it someday. Another one of those things I can’t let go. Before that I only remember a white sheet. That’s all grandma used too.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I have a plaid tree skirt that I made when we first married (1979), and also a standard red with white trim. In 2019, I went to a commercial decorating company's warehouse sale and found a red skirt that is embroidered with gold thread and couldn't pass it up for the price (under $10, as I recall; definitely under $15). This gives me options for how I decide to decorate.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've always wanted to make a tree skirt but haven't... and in the last few years thought of a fur tree skirt... but these tree collars are appealing too... hummmm... all I know is I need a change with what I have

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I made my tree skirt a few years ago. It is plain cream calico fabric and I appliqued Christmas stocking shapes to it. I wrote our names and date of birth on the collar of the stockings. Last year I added DSIL to the tree skirt. I still love it after all these years.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Such pretty ideas on the videos!

Reactions: homemade4me

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I like the tree skirt but your buddy is adorable!!!!!! Such a sweet face.
I made this one from 2 round table cloths I had laying around. I did edge to edge quilting but it could be just hand tied.

Attachments

• 767A82BB-E18E-45FE-BC79-F18783E3AB49.jpeg
    767A82BB-E18E-45FE-BC79-F18783E3AB49.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I bought many yards of a lace I saw one year. I called it Stary Stary Night lace. Filled with stars. Would have made a lovely midnight wedding dress. I just laid it around the tree base with a gold metallic tablecloth under it. Now we put the Polar North Pole train around the tree. The base of my tree is a gold metal and revolves so we really do not need a tree skirt any more.May need to declutter the lace soon. Will do some thinking on that.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I have a red and green large checked ruffled tree skirt I bought from Walmart in the 90's......it may be unique in that with it's cotton batting .......and even after washing......it still has slivers of pine from live and our artificial tree from years gone by.......

P.S. .......after reading the above posts, you girls have talent !

Laurie

Simplify