CIJ Day 19- Put it Under the Tree

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Gift closets and shopping for that perfect gift.

Gift closets are a way to help you save time, money and keep you organized for not only for Christmas but for other gift giving situations.

Shopping year round allows to you to take advantage of all the sales and seasonal items. When you find the perfect gift, on sale (or while on vacation) you have a safe space to tuck it away.

Vacations are an opportunity for gift shopping. Gift shops and special events that you normally don’t frequent may have unusual gifts perfect for someone on your list.

One concern with buying gifts early is you may put it someplace and forget either you bought it or where you put it. The gift “closet”can be an actual closet, a shelf, tote, etc, as long as you are putting your gifts all in the same place.

Itemize and organize your “closet” so you know what you have for each person on your list. Keep a list on your phone, spread sheets, or in your Christmas notebook, what ever works for you.

How to create and organize the perfect gift closet

A Guide to Buying Christmas Gifts Throughout the Year

Now that you have a gift closet to store your gifts let’s start shopping!

A great way to organize is start with a list of who to buy for. Don’t forget to add teachers, bus drivers, mail carriers, etc to your list if needed. Will you need hostess gifts and last minute exchange gifts? Birthday gifts for those that fall around the holidays?

Listen carefully during conversations with family and friends during the year can help you decide on the perfect gift. Asking for a list is another great way to find the perfect gift. Those lists can often lead you other ideas. Don’t forget to add your gift ideas to your list as you identify them so you don’t forget.

Remember gifts don’t have to be “new”. Thrift shops, auctions, yard sales have all kinds of hidden treasures. Baskets and containers for gifts can also be found at these venues.

Gifts don’t have to be a “purchased”item. Handmade gifts have special meaning. It can be made from new supplies or created by repurposing items. Do you bake something extra special that someone loves? The time and care you spent making it is part of the gift.

Gifts can also be treasured family items. Grandmas earrings, a treasured cookie jar, a well worn quilt, anything that holds special meaning to the recipient would be a treasured gift.

Some handy tips for gift shopping:

Christmas Gift Shopping

How to Pick Gifts Even Better Than Santa, Using Science

Giving outside the box: Christmas gifts don't have to be things

Next up- shopping for that hard to buy person

Reactions: jampss

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Listen carefully during conversations with family and friends during the year can help you decide on the perfect gift.
Great tips! I follow my husband around at Home Depot, snapping photos of things that spark his interest!

Reactions: jampss

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
And let's not forget the gifts you may be given that you have no use for, those things that don't go with your decor, are the wrong color or style. They can be regifted to someone who may enjoy the item. Just keep a note with the item saying who gifted it to you, so you don't gift it back or to someone recognized it. I was gifted two candle holders last year (think: stemless wine glasses) that were gold crinkle in color. Not my style, and I have soooooooo many candles and candle holders. Nod and smile on Christmas Eve at their house, and into the "gift closet" for the future! I do the same with Bath & Body gifts, if they're not a scent I like and there's no gift receipt.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I have to confess I have "regifted" before. I have a particular family member that seems to draw my name every year and has no clue what my style is, even though they are in my home often. I do the smile and thank you bit, as mentioned, then add it to my stash to gift someone else with! It does come in handy sometimes!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Over the last few years I have really reorganised my gift closet so that it works well for me.
I have one box for each person for stocking fillers and one box for each person for gifts. I have another box for bits and pieces that I find in my travels. This came after many years of buying things and storing them only to be lost for ever (or until way after Christmas).

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Things have evolved over time here. I use to do Rubbermaid Totes in our basement as my "gift closet." I'd buy kids toys and clothes at the end of season or on sale. However, we've had flooding issues in our basement with more and more hurricanes these last few years. The gifts have been safe inside the boxes. The problem is, the boxes are removed to the garage or outside while cleaning up and then when we try to reorganize the basement, the boxes are reopened and voila! Hello Christmas gifts in August!

Over the last few years, I've been buying gifts from September through November after hurricane season. I wrap them as soon as I can and then store them in the Rubbermaid Totes. So far, that's been working.