CIJ Day 24

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
From Lana:

Spiced Mixed Nuts

Came from Country Woman magazine years ago

1 egg white, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon water

1 jar 8oz dry roasted peanuts1/2 cup unbalanced whole almonds.

½ cup walnut or pecan halves

¾ cup sugar

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

In a large bowl, combine egg white and water. Add nuts and toss to coat. Combine sugar and spice, sprinkle over the nuts and toss until well coated. Place nuts in single layers on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes. Immediately transfer to wax paper to cool. Break up into clusters. Store in a covered container.

Snappy Horseradish Dill Pickles

1 jar (32 oz) whole dill pickles (we buy spears now)

1/3 cup prepared horseradish

¾ cup sugar

½ cup water

½ cup cider vinegar

Drain and discard juice from pickles. Slice pickles (why we buy the spears) into spears and return to jar. Add the horseradish. In a pan bring the sugar, water & vinegar to a boil. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Pour over pickles. Cool completely. Cover jar and shake. Refrigerate for at 8 hours or overnight.

Paula Deen’s Seasoning Salt

People like to receive it

1 cup kosher salt

¼ cup fresh ground black pepper

¼ cup garlic powder

¼ cup onion powder

Mix all together and store in an airtight container.

Banana Pudding Banana Nut Bread

I make 2 different banana breads (other has cream cheese in it) and this seems to be the winner.

I make in the small foil pans.

1 (18 oz) box yellow cake mix

1 (5 oz) package jell-o banana cream pudding and pie filling, instant (large size)

½ cup water

½ cup vegetable oil

2 ripe bananas mashed

4 eggs

1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all the ingredients well. Pour into 2 large or 4 small greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Maraschino Cherry Bread

1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

¼ cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 ¾ cups all purpose flour

11/2 teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup sifted powder sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 -31/2x71/2 baking pan and line with wax paper. Drain cherries, reserving juice. Chop cherries, reserve 1 tablespoon for glaze. In a large bowl combine sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla, chopped sherries and ¼ cup reserved cherry juice. Beat until well blended. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to cherry mixture stirring until well blended. Stir in pecans. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and top is golden brown. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and place on a wire rack with waxed paper underneath to cool completely. In a small bowl, combine powder sugar, 2 to 21/2 tablespoons reserved cherry juice and reserved cherries, stirring until well blended. Spoon over bread. Allow icing to harden.

Mom’s Cream Horns

I found this recipe on the internet and everybody says it is a keeper---so it is the only one I do

1 package puff pastry sheets thawed in the fridge (there is 2 sheets and each one I cut into 12 strips) (sometimes I get 25 or 26)

8 oz cool whip thawed or 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream (I have only used the whipping cream)

8 oz cream cheese room temperature

½ cup powdered sugar or regular sugar (I have only used regular sugar)

Cream horn molds

Preheat oven to 400. Place one sheet of dough at a time onto a dusted with flour (I use powder sugar) working surface

Roll out the dough into a square. 15x20 approximately in size. Cut dough into ¾” wide strips. Wipe each strip around the cream horn mold overlapping a little with each round. Place them onto a greased pan. Bake then in preheated oven for 18 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from the oven. Remove each horn from the mold hot t prevent from horn sticking to the mold. Use towel to hold the end of the mold so you don’t burn your hands. Let the horns cool completely before filling with cream.

Place cream cheese & cool whip or heavy cream into medium bowl. Beat it together until well combined. Add powdered sugar or sugar and mix it together increasing mixer speed gradually until all combined and smooth texture with no lumps. If using cream mix until it is whipped thick.

Fill a decorating bag or baggie with cream and pipe the cream into each end of the horn. If you have a Wilton attachment 32 use it. Pipe the cream into each end of the horn. Place them into air tight container and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Dust with powder sugar before serving if desired.

Storing in plastic containers seems to keep them firmer. Says you can freeze them after filling and get out couple hours before serving but I never have any left to try it with. I like to make them a few days before filling and letting them sit out before filling.

More ways to present treats:

If using a zip lock baggie use a piece of scrapbook paper in it to help lay flat and pretty up the bag.

Foil pans wrap the lid or double sided tape with scrapbook paper

Use a mailing tube and tie end off like candy style

Over size mug & put into cellophane and tie off.

Making 1 shape of cookies tie off bag and include the cookie cutter shape

Glass jars that could later be used in bathroom or pantry filled with cookies or treats or pasta jars

Terra cotta flower pots or any flowerpots with a cellophane bag of treats. Flower pots will be going on clearance.

Freeze batter in bags and give to a busy person with the recipe. Or you could scoop dough into the size needed and flash freeze them and then give that with the recipe.

Using tiered trays on table will save space

When having a party maybe try having a type of food in every room. People can eat while moving around. Like chips, dips, salsa in front room, fruits, nuts, & desserts in dining room, kitchen meat balls, meat trays, cheese crackers, etc. Or a food board in each room.

Thank you for joining in the CIJ threads!!!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Lana, you have so many recipe ideas that I never heard of before! They look so good. I like your idea of putting different types of food in different rooms. That is one way to get people mingling too.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
The salt mixture would be easy to do for gift giving, along with other seasoning mixes...great for a wedding shower gift, too!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Those cream horns sound heavenly!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul