Cleaning a black stove top

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Does anyone have any cleaning tips for getting the grime off a black enamel stove top? Mine got really gunked up when canning tomatoes and peaches. I started with Windex with vinegar in it (what I normally use) and it got a lot of it off, followed by a Mr. Clean magic eraser, which got some additional off. But there are still places with dark, almost baked on, spots that aren't coming clean, as well as some greasy-type smears that aren't wiping off. What do you use? Open to any and all suggestions.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Buy a single edge razor blade and scrape it, very gently.
Wet paper towels with ammonia, lay it on the stove and let it rest. Wipe off.

Reactions: teachermomof2

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've heard Bar Keepers Friend works amazingly but i've yet to personally try it. That is the standard military issued stove top here and everyone swears by it.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I used Bar Keepers Friend powder on my stove top. I've found it in the aisle with cleaning supplies or with dishwashing soaps. I think it depends upon the store.

We often deal with burnt on pasta water or burnt on sauce. I sprinkle the powder on the area. Then I get a wet sponge and use the scrubbing side in a circular motion. It takes elbow grease. If I still have issues, I'll use the edge of the plastic spatula (used for flipping food) and try to get the burnt on food off that way.

I was just thinking that scrubbing with baking soda and vinegar might work too.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Thanks, everyone! Totally appreciate the responses. :)

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I use cerama bryte that came with my stove. It has its on special cleaning pad to use with it. It also has a stove top scraper. It’s all I’ve ever used.