Cleaning Methods - Share your best!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
What are you best cleaning “hacks”? Things you’ve learned on your own or things you’ve read about online and tried with success?

Here are some of mine:

Cleaning the Microwave

o Fill a bowl with white vinegar, at least half full, use a glass bowl that is safe for microwave

o Cook on HIGH for 4 minutes – leave in there with door closed for another 3 minutes or so

o Use potholders to remove bowl, then take out glass microwave plate and the ring underneath it that lets it turn

o Working quickly, use paper towels to wipe off the “ceiling”, sides and bottom of microwave. Don’t forget to wipe down inside of door.

o It may take elbow grease in some spots but the majority of the stunk on gunk will come right off! For really bad spots I’ve dipped paper towels in the hot vinegar still in the bowl then scrubbed. For a really bad situation you might need to repeat above steps but once you have it under control it makes it SUPER easy to keep a really clean inside to your microwave.

o Wash the glass microwave dish and return it and ring to oven.

o Use desired cleaner and paper towels to wipe down outside of door/buttons

Spot cleaning rugs

o Sprinkle baking soda on any stains and let sit for 10 minutes

o Vacuum up baking soda

o Mix 2 cups warm water, 1 T white vinegar and 1 T blue Dawn dishsoap

o Using clean cloth, blot mixture onto stains then use dry part of cloth to dab it up

o This works on dog vomit even! May take working at stubborn stains a few times but I’ve always had this work well!

Cleaning disposal

o After juicing/zesting lemons, oranges or limes put 1 or 2 rinds down the disposal and run it – makes things smell nice and clean!

Cleaning Glass and or Mirrors

o Use Windex + newspaper! Works really well and won’t leave streaks! Plus it saves on paper towels! Just be careful if you have white trim, the wet newspaper can leave black marks once wet – they wipe right off though if you get them right away!

Cleaning a wood cutting board

o Run hot water over board

o Sprinkle heavily with kosher salt

o Scrub board with half of a lemon

o Rinse with hot water and dry

Removing grease stains from glass bakware

o You know those little brown spots that get on the handles, etc. after you bake things? Magic Erasers! Works great!

Cleaning small plastic toys

o This is a good one for flu season!

o Use a mesh laundry bag – dump in the toys and zip up

o Wash in washing machine on hot, with a bleach cycle

o Spread toys out on towel to dry

Reactions: Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have yet to use the Magic Eraser but getting those baked in grease marks sounds like a good reason to use it. Thanks, AJ, for your tips.

Here are things that I've had success with before:

Getting pen marks off of wood
- Use a bit of toothpaste and some elbow grease with a Scotch Brite non-scratch scrubber sponge.

Getting pen marks off of clothes - I have used hairspray to do this but some hair sprays are alcohol free now. If that is the case with your hairspray, then use a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol. Place a paper towel underneath the stain and dab the alcohol on the stain until it is gone.

Removing grease from clothes - Dawn dish washing soap is not only great for cutting through grease in the kitchen but also on clothes. I dab some on clothes with oil stains and let it set. Then I put it in the laundry.

Removing blood stains - Dab hydrogen peroxide on the stain, let set for a few minutes and then rinse the area. Hydrogen peroxide will lighten carpet and clothes if on too long. The way I figure, I either have a blood stain or a hydrogen peroxide stain.

Removing rust - I use the powder form of Barkeeper's Friend. I sprinkle a bit on the area and scrub. I also use it to clean the glass stove top. It doesn't leave scratch marks. I also have used it to get out the Sharpie marker that bled through the paper and left marks on the kitchen table.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Everyone in the house has 2 small laundry mesh bags for socks, one bag for white socks and 1 bag for color socks. As soon as the socks come off they go into one of the bags. On laundry day zip the bag toss into the washer and drier. No more lost socks and no more huge piles of socks to try to match up. Its even perfect to give back to the kids straight from the dryer and have them match up their own socks.

Removing Coffee/Tea stains: from cups, coffee pot and the counter ... make a paste with water and baking soda and just rub it over the stain and rinse.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Minta! wish I had thought of that when the kids were at home. No more mixing of socks.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, the sock idea is perfect. Wish I had known about this years ago:rolleyes:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
For bathtubs, shower and sinks. Use one cup of vinegar and nuk in microwave for about 2 minutes and then add in 1 cup of Dawn and shake. Spray on tub, shower, sink and let set about 30 minutes and then wipe off. Rinse. Takes dirt off so easy.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks for all the cleaning ideas!

I use Magic Eraser to clean the bottom of my iron and for stains on the kitchen counter. It's also great to get indelible ink marks off of hard surfaces and scuff marks off of hard-surfaced floors.

I use a product called "Oil Eater" for many purposes ... removing the sticky left from price tags ... laundry pre-spray for oil/grease on clothing ... cleaning stove top and areas that get "greasy" in the kitchen.

For stains in coffee cups, I fill a cup with water and add a little bleach, let it sit for a few minutes, then pour it into the next cup, etc.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom