Colors

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
What colors will you be using this year for Christmas?

I'm torn between an Old Fashion Christmas with plaids, forest green and burgundy, or red and white.

I love to hear what others are doing. ~ Farmerswife

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Laurie, I am thinking like you. I am going traditional green, red, and white. I thought about wrapping in craft paper with tartan plaid and coordinating bows.

PS...I'm at work...don't know why the filter didn't catch me...maybe it's a trick for them to see who's using forums and blogs at work.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Love traditional.

Our diningroom tree this year will remain 'garnet and gold'.

I am looking for a new TALL pencil tree for the parlor - and undecided what colours to go with. This will be the tree with our family gifts under it!

This year I am hoping to convince DH to make me a box to hold the tree, elevate it a small amount, and make it look more 'planted' then 'plastic' :)

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I think I'm sticking with my color scheme from the last 2 or 3 years....gold, red and purple in the family/living room. I use black and red in the kitchen...and cream and gold in our bedroom. The boys' bathroom gets a traditional red and green treatment and the little boys' room is red and white-Razorbacks this year, to match their new bedroom decor.

I am going to use red and green outside too, I think. I love the traditional Christmas colors.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm using red, silver and white this year.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I've definitely gotten less traditional. I still love, silver, red, and LOTS of white, but the last few years, I've loved having a little light blue in there as well. This year I will use the same again.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I started making some changes in my color scheme last year when I realized that my traditional plan of red, gold and crystal was no longer popping out as much once I painted my living room red. The tree was a bit dark. Gorgeous but dark. I'll still have the gold and crystal very heavy (and some of my favorite ornaments are red) but I'm putting in more silver and chartreuse which really really pops. The few chartreuse ornaments I had last year just jumped off the tree at me. So it's more chartreuse that I'm after this season. I've seen some great decor ideas for it in magazines.

Last edited:

NLxmasmom

Retire Member
Nov 22, 2007
Our tree has been red & gold for years. This year I finally decided to change it up a little. We're going with red, white & silver.

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
Tartan plaid (red, green gold) Christmas tree skirt, stockings, etc.

Gold or green table runners.

Angel Motif ornaments and decorations (all white or gold)

White lights on Christmas tree

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Oh I love seeing what colour themes everyone uses!

We're only using the small kids tree this year - since I don't trust the little one with the big tree!

The kid's tree colours are pastel - pinks, blues, greens, purple. There are mainly butterfly and ballerina decorations. The angel on top is very "fairy" looking, with a pink dress and big wings :)

Usually, that would be in the toy room at the front of the house and the main tree would be in the living room. The main tree is more traditional with berry red (rather then bright red), silver and gold.

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
Red and gold mostly. I also do a white theme with white tree white lights clear crystal icicles amd white snowflakes. I may do a north woods theme this year downstairs in the rec room. I bought a collection of those bristle-y woodland animals last year at my local garden shop and then add in my tiny cardinals for color on my tabletop twiggy tree.

Our big family tree is always a mix: colored lights, collected and handmade ornaments, big colored glass balls, and silver bead garland. :)

Christmas Girl

Retire Member
Jul 24, 2009
Scotland
I go with traditional, burgundy, green, gold etc. I've done this since I first got my own house and now I can't bring myself to change it. I find comfort in the same thing year after year, I'm a creature of habit!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have almost a thousand white mini lights and the base color of most of the ornaments are white. Then I pile on the cute ornaments I've collected over the years. If I feel like taking the time I group ornaments by theme on the tree. I will put all the Cowboy Santas and horse related ornaments on one side of the tree, the angels all go to the top, the German ornaments get a small space together and the rest fill in any space left.

I love the gold and brown ornaments so I've been collecting them when I see a sale. Maybe one year I'll have enough for a tree. More than likely I'll find lots of them once brown goes back out of style.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Thought I would bump this up since some are beginning (or soon will begin) to decorate. If I can't start yet, I can at least talk about it! lol

I bought two new garlands at Hobby Lobby Wednesday for the bookcases in the living room. They include pinecones, so I am going to pick up pinecones in the front yard to supplement with. I also bought two reindeer to use in the living room on a side table as you come in the front door or on top of the piano...not sure which yet.

I have decided to go with a sort of rustic look in the living room. I want to pick up a small tree for the computer area and put all my MHH ornaments from last year and this year on it. You can see the computer area from the living room. It will be an artificial tree. The one in the living room will be live.

I need to change out the china in the china cabinet from fall to Christmas. I have about three sets of Christmas dishes I have picked up at yard sales. (What were those people thinking?) Lenox has some beautiful dishes I want, but they are so unaffordable for me! A girl can dream, though. I noticed some red crystal glasses I want...maybe I can ask for them for my birthday on Dec 9th.

What will you be decorating with this year? What themes/colors will you use?