Comfort reads

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
I recently read a blog that was talking about comfort books. Those much loved books that you keep returning to time again. What are your comfort reads? Mine would have to be the Little House on the Prairie books, Harry Potter, the Stephanie Plum series, The Diary of Mattie Spencer and The Magic of Ordinary Days.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I don't re-read books, as a rule, but comfort books to me are ones in which I really feel I get to know the characters. That makes it sad when the book is over! That said, I also like Harry Potter, The 'dragonfly in Amber' series by Diana Gabaldon(sp?) and alot of Maeve Binchy.

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
Another Little House on the Prairie fan. I loved this books as a child and have gone on to re-read many of them as an adult.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Another Little House & Little Woman fan here.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Little Women and Harry Potter!!

:party: Melanie

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Harry Potter for me too!

:flower:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have 2 series I go back to every summer (I alternate every 2 summers)... it's the Harry Potter series and the Children of the Earth series (it's the one I'm reading this summer... started last friday).

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Like jackfrosty said, I usually don't re-read books because I already know what's going to happen and I like not being sure. If I haven't read a book in many years I might read it again, but not often. Comfort books for me are anything I can really get into and just don't want to put down. I have several authors that I love and I turn to them when i'm in the mood for reading.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I generally don't reread books, either (unless I need a brush-up on the minutiae or it's the sort that deserves a deeper glance); after all, there are so many exquisite books to read and life's too short as it is!

Like with film, certain genres tend to overflow with comfort for me (ex: mysteries, feminist sci-fi and fantasy, classics or historical reads, comic or romantic fiction), but comfort comes from somewhat unexpected places, too (ex: dystopian or survivalist fic, existentialist or postmodern lit, philosophical or scientific non-fic, etc). And where would we be without those random finds that are full of insight, seem to slow time, increase thanksgiving, induce laughter, and/or touch the very soul of our humanity with a new perspective?

I think it comes down to being intellectually stimulated and inspired (and the expansion of being/existence that naturally follows) followed by a "happy ending" when it applies (such as being spurred on toward love and good deeds). My brain loves to be tickled, and my heart and life are warmed by the exercise.

Another bravo for Harry Potter/JK Rowling! I'll be brushing up on the Half-Blood Prince come November! :package:

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
Some books I enjoy so much they are like an old friend when I go back to them. To me it's much like watching a movie over and over again.

Thank goodness there are people who only read them once though - otherwise great books would never be passed around by friends and family. There is nothing better than getting a book from a friend and after finishing it passing it on.

I agree, life is short and there are so many great books to read. :grin: A few however, I have to read again and again. :haha:

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
If you look back, we all re-read; just with different frequencies ("as a rule," "usually," "generally," and your "from time-to-time"). But back to the rest, sharing is indeed beautiful (part of why I'm grateful for libraries!). And I think everyone has certain books/authors they consider as dear as friends. Books are so lovely; who could help it? When it comes to ranking books, my sentiments are conveyed in the film Ever After when Danielle says, "I could no sooner choose a favorite star in the heavens."

Christysue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Another Harry Potter fan here, I have read them all at least twice some more than that. When it cames to comfort books I also love Janette Oke. I have been reading her books since I was in the sixth grade, I love all of her books but my favorite are the Canadian West and Love Comes Softly series. :flower:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I do re-read books, usually because I don't want to spend the money buying new and I haven't had time to get to the library. ::eek:rnament:

Certain books I will re-read often, in many cases because they are books I read and fell in love with when I was much younger.

Those books would be...

Anne of Green Gables series
Narnia books
Little Women
Jane Eyre (Yes - I first read it at age 11! :haha: )
Little House books
Beauty by Robin McKinley

A sampling of books that I re-read that I discovered as an adult are:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

The Harry Potter books - LOVE EM!

ANYTHING by Guy Gavriel Kay, although the Fionavar triolgy and The Lions of Al-Rassan are my favorites...

Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman (a sort of continuation of Daphne DeMauier's Rebecca)

The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde

Song of Fire & Ice books by George R. R. Martin

Honestly, I read ALOT. I re-read and I read new books all the time. I am a very fast reader and it is nothing for me to get through a medium sized book in a couple days. Less in the summer because I am outside so much.

I don't really know anyone who enjoys reading as much as I do, so I've never been able to loan/recieve books.

That is why I love the library!

:-D