Coronavirus discussion...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
Jody- As difficult as it is, I think you have made the right decisions. Things are getting out of control again and with the health issues that some of your family members have and the potential for exposure it's better to be safe than sorry. Sending hugs to you because I know that was really, really tough to do.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
My BFF just canceled today's plan to go to the mall. Said she has a sore throat. OY!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do not understand the thinking about sending kids to school for just a few days. Either open the schools or do it online. It's like they want to play Covid roulette. If they open schools the school board is just opening up legal cases if teachers/staff/kids get sick. I also understand schools systems not wanting to lose out on the funding. And the problems parents have for finding some supervision for their kids not in school. There isn't any good solution.

Reactions: jampss and MrsSoup

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I understand that the children must be safe. And I’m looking at this through the eyes of someone with an adult child and no grandkids. School is so much more than just learning a bunch of facts. I think what bothers me the most is all I hear where I live is how going back to school won’t and can’t work. No one here is focused on how we can make this work for the benefit of kids. It isn’t a easy task but we are well educated, creative, intelligent people(for the most part anyways) in this country. We should be able to come up with some creative ways (thinking outside the box, critical thinking) to make it work. I get the impression nobody wants it to work, just to prove a point. I worked with so many single moms who had to work. I wonder what they will do. With so many dysfunctional families I’m afraid a lot of kids will fall through the cracks.

Has any one read the school study out of Germany they are talking about ( university of Dresden I think)?? Ive seen all types of reporting on it but I was wanting to see the actual study. I’ve looked online with no luck.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
PA announced more mitigation guidelines today. 1594860577662.png During the news conference they kept mentioning the need to bring numbers down so that school can begin in August. We are still in the green phase, but I'm guessing that could change if numbers continue to rise at the current rates.

We have 2 birthday parties coming up....one in Pittsburgh for my cousin's daughter and one at the farm for our nephew's first birthday. Nephew's will be outside, but most of them are anti-maskers, so I'm not sure how long we will be hanging around. Most of the Pittsburgh area is increasing in COVID numbers, so we will probably pass on that party this year.

We just got news that J's brother and his family....son, daughter and wife...have COVID. They had been traveling to Myrtle Beach, and to northern PA, and their college daughter was partying a lot, so they picked it up somewhere. J's other brother and his wife also live near them, but we haven't heard their status yet. They live about 3 hours away, so we don't see them frequently.

I did get some answers to the questions that I had about my school today. Seems more put together than they put forth on the facebook live last night. We will see.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Fortunately dh & I live with dd's family, so I can help supervise while dd or dsil sleep. They had already planned online school for dgkids - grade 8 this year - and they were registered in early March before schooling became an issue.

I saw on the news yesterday that some Detroit (or Chicago - I don't remember which) students were wearing face shields instead of masks, at their desks doing schoolwork. I also saw that football helmets had face shields too, as well as the face guards.

Reactions: jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Has any one read the school study out of Germany they are talking about ( university of Dresden I think)?? Ive seen all types of reporting on it but I was wanting to see the actual study. I’ve looked online with no luck.
I'm not sure this is what you were looking for or not. Here's a link to one report on the schools in the Saxony area of Germany - https://tu-dresden.de/med/mf/die-fa...hulen-haben-sich-nicht-zu-hotspots-entwickelt

I think it worked for the Saxony schools because they weren't hit with the virus to begin with like the other areas of the country. I'm not sure if they wore masks and were socially distanced from one another during the class time.
It wasn't stated.

The latest report from my school district is that social distancing is impossible. The best they can do is 3 feet distancing in the classroom. Students will return as normal, 5 days a week for full days. Masks must be worn. Currently, buses in the elementary schools have 5 students per seat on the bus. Middle school and high school have 4 students per seat on the bus. The district is trying to have 2 students per seat. That explains why the school district opposes seat belts on buses. Thus, the need to ask parents to take their children to and from school. They are offering online learning as an option too.

I just read a follow up to a story from May where two hair dressers with COVID-19 wore masks while they had the virus and cut hair of 139 customers. The CDC followed these customers and not one of the customers got the virus. The CDC thinks that wearing a mask made the difference.

I'm really disheartened to see our numbers in PA are getting worse after a few weeks of lower numbers. We just started going back to church with masks and social distanced seating. Now it looks like we're back to virtual Mass with the new mandate.

We just got news that J's brother and his family....son, daughter and wife...have COVID.
Oh, dear... I'm sorry to hear this. It is not easy watching family members deal with it.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
Lisa- Sorry to hear that some family members have the virus. I hope they don't have any complications with it and recover quickly and easily.
Diedra- I agree!!

From what I understand our kids will be wearing masks all day here. They have cut class sizes and in the elementary school, desks will be 6 feet apart and facing forward. The teachers union fought the Department of Education on that and won. Social distancing at recess and breakfast and lunch will be grab and go. The first two weeks will be half days.

I picked up takeout and went to DH's office today for lunch. The military is not mandating mask wearing at work. I still wore my mask to walk into his office, until we were in his personal office and closed the door. Everyone looked at me strangely and even DH made me feel weird about wearing it, but I didn't care. I think it's ridiculous that our entire state has been mandated to wear masks since the beginning but the Army doesn't follow that rule. :rolleyes: There have been a lot of Soldiers that have come down with the virus and civilian workers on post.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I keep hearing the schools should be open so the parents can work. Well, teachers are professional educators not day care. I can say that as a former educator.
There are so many other programs that parents have available to them.( I worked those programs. ) I myself, had a back up plan with friends and neighbors if I couldn't get to my kids in time. They had a code word to ask for if I sent someone and they didn't know about it ahead of time. I know it is hard to parent if you have to work. That's why you have to a Plan A, B, and C.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I am sitting here trying to decide if we should be traveling. Covid-19 is looking grim again. DS said his county in Ohio is most likely going to be shutdown. They were to come next week for a week long visit. I did one of the hardest things ever I asked that they stay home and quarantine for 2 weeks as they have been out and about.
We cancelled our plans to go to my brother's (near Detroit numbers are climbing there) and the graduation party. Dniece is doing her best to make sure there is social distancing but we won't know most of the people there. I feel really bad because Ava has missed so much of her senior year already and will not have the party should would have had but not willing to take the risk.
We are going to postpone going to mom's too. DH said that if we are asking our kids to stay home it wouldn't be right for us to not do the same. Mom is not going to be happy. Oh well, I rather have her upset with me than have her get ill after I was there. We will quarantine for 2 weeks and make plans. We have not been out in public much but who knows if you have been exposed. People do not know how to social distance!

High school here held a sports camp and there are up to 36 new cases from that group. Just learned today that they had a party just before camps started. This is why I don't want to go to a party.
I think you're making a wise choice. I heard today that many positive have some travel connection - either the infected person traveled outside of their local area, or they hosted or gathered with people who had traveled to them.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
The military is not mandating mask wearing at work.
Not the Navy, they just put out that masks are considered PPE and required to be worn when in uniform when 6 feet of distance cannot be maintained. They even put out rules about color (neutral solids although some blue/green is allowed especially if it's the camo design). No designs, logos, patterns, or prints.

Ignore the strange looks, you were smart to wear your mask.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
Pamela- It kills me because when this started they were required to wear a mask of some sort whether it be their gator neck or a solid color mask like you described. It seems they have gotten very lax even with the number of cases that have been reported on base. Makes zero sense!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Jess - doesn't HPCON Charlie mandate masks? I think it was that way in MacDill when we were there in late April.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
Jess - doesn't HPCON Charlie mandate masks? I think it was that way in MacDill when we were there in late April.
Yes, i'm sure it does but we are at Bravo here.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I'm not sure this is what you were looking for or not. Here's a link to one report on the schools in the Saxony area of Germany - https://tu-dresden.de/med/mf/die-fa...hulen-haben-sich-nicht-zu-hotspots-entwickelt

I think it worked for the Saxony schools because they weren't hit with the virus to begin with like the other areas of the country. I'm not sure if they wore masks and were socially distanced from one another during the class time.
It wasn't stated.

The latest report from my school district is that social distancing is impossible. The best they can do is 3 feet distancing in the classroom. Students will return as normal, 5 days a week for full days. Masks must be worn. Currently, buses in the elementary schools have 5 students per seat on the bus. Middle school and high school have 4 students per seat on the bus. The district is trying to have 2 students per seat. That explains why the school district opposes seat belts on buses. Thus, the need to ask parents to take their children to and from school. They are offering online learning as an option too.

I just read a follow up to a story from May where two hair dressers with COVID-19 wore masks while they had the virus and cut hair of 139 customers. The CDC followed these customers and not one of the customers got the virus. The CDC thinks that wearing a mask made the difference.

I'm really disheartened to see our numbers in PA are getting worse after a few weeks of lower numbers. We just started going back to church with masks and social distanced seating. Now it looks like we're back to virtual Mass with the new mandate.

Oh, dear... I'm sorry to hear this. It is not easy watching family members deal with it.
Thanks for the link! I’m on my phone so I can’t get it to come up in English. That might be it. Will try on my laptop to see if I can get it to work.

I didn’t mean to imply that teachers are babysitters yesterday!!! Please accept my apology. That is certainly not the case at all. I only know what I’m hearing here from folks. Many of these single parents barely have anyone to rely on for back up on a emergency basis. They are concerned about who can help home school in the event that it happens again as they had a poor experience in the spring. These are folks who are trying to figure out how to make all of these scenarios work as the environment changes day to day. Again if I offended, my apologies.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just registered M for the school year and we had to add 3 more people to her emergency contacts. They require her to be picked up in 30 minutes if she develops a fever. John is only 10 minutes away at work, so we should be okay.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
Lisa- Ours always have spaces for 3 people. I have no idea who i'll put this year since my friend moved away. DS will be 18 in September so he'll be #1. I don't have anyone down here near where we live that I know. My other friend and DH both are on Schofield about half an hour away and that's if either of them could get away. With me student teaching i'll be a last resort. Nerve-wracking for sure. They are requiring pickup within an hour here. But ours aren't in school full time either so it will only be two days a week that i'll have to worry about it, at least for DD. Still waiting to hear about Eli's school.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
They require her to be picked up in 30 minutes if she develops a fever.
That is going to be a real problem here. Where DH works, I can't tell you how many times the school secretary had to call law enforcement to contact parents and threaten to file charges against them if they didn't come pick up their sick child...parents who don't work and just refuse to come get their child. The schools here don't have an on-site nurse. There's one nurse for all the schools, and she's at the central office all the time.

AND....who's going to be assigned to sit in a room with those children until they're picked up or do they go back to the classroom...where do they wait??

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
That is going to be a real problem here. Where DH works, I can't tell you how many times the school secretary had to call law enforcement to contact parents and threaten to file charges against them if they didn't come pick up their sick child...parents who don't work and just refuse to come get their child. The schools here don't have an on-site nurse. There's one nurse for all the schools, and she's at the central office all the time.

AND....who's going to be assigned to sit in a room with those children until they're picked up or do they go back to the classroom...where do they wait??
Great questions! Will they have an isolation room (or several) for those students that come down with symptoms of Covid? A lot of our schools have a rotational nurse that is only there 1-2 days a week. That will be another interesting aspect to all of this that I hadn't even thought about.

I think, here anyway, that there will be a lot less students in school. I have heard a lot of parents are choosing the distance learning option versus even part time in the classroom where it is being offered and for those schools that aren't offering it, they are raising hell and getting them to offer it. I am curious to see how many students are actually in the classroom afterall. Some parents are banding with their neighbors and looking to hire someone to teach their kids in home instead of sending them to school.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA

We have the same issue at our school. Many don't answer their phones, some don't have transportation to our school, and some who work. They refuse and the students are returned to the classroom sick. It makes me crazy! The nurse's office is to have an isolation room with ventilation for such students, but if there is more than one....well, then I don't know. That's why keeping kids home if they have a fever or any other symptoms is so important.