Coronavirus discussion...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lisa, do they plan to check the workers' and children's temperatures when they get onto campus? They're supposed to do that here. Can you imagine how long that is going to take? Personally, I think a rider should be on each bus who takes a child's temp before they even get on the bus. If they have fever, they shouldn't even get on the bus. The bus ride is long enough to exceed the exposure time (most research is indicating longer than 15 minutes exposure, the more likely one is to catch it from another).

One of the state teachers' union groups is asking that the start of school be delayed so preparation for the school year can be better thought out, cleaning supplies procured/purchased - we can't get wipes here for the office, they're mixing their own disinfectant - (how are they going to get enough for the schools to clean desks every day, after every class?), etc., things needed for distance learning can be ordered...just so much more preparation than normal. It takes the janitors all summer to get the classrooms ready. They weren't allowed in the school buildings during the initial shutdown. Even teachers weren't allowed in before the end of May. Ugh...it's just a nightmare to try and think about every scenario and safety measure.

And, do you think those children are going to keep up with masks? What happens when they show up at school without their mask? Does the school have to supply those, too? Another expense the schools haven't been incurring added to budgets that are already going to be stretched thin. I would hate to have an administration position this year. Talk about stress! I bet teachers leave teaching left and right after this school year. I imagine some will leave after they realize what all it will entail. Not only will they have to prepare lessons for their on-campus students, but for those staying home as well. Twice the work for the same (already too low) pay.

A teacher/parent survey was posted today to the local school board's site. They're trying to get feedback about what type of schooling parents prefer, if they'll drive their children to school, if they need meals provided at home if they do distance learning. There is SO much to be considered.

Sorry I wrote a book...this is just extremely concerning to me as a former educator and one who has a DH, DS, DDIL, Dsis, and 2 Dnieces who teach. Bless them. It's a heck of a mess and no one has the answers. Everyone is trying to do the best they can and in the end it may not be good enough. SMH

Ahorsesoul

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One of the state teachers' union groups is asking that the start of school be delayed so preparation for the school year can be better thought out, cleaning supplies procured/purchased - we can't get wipes here for the office, they're mixing their own disinfectant - (how are they going to get enough for the schools to clean desks every day, after every class?), etc., things needed for distance learning can be ordered...just so much more preparation than normal. It takes the janitors all summer to get the classrooms ready. They weren't allowed in the school buildings during the initial shutdown. Even teachers weren't allowed in before the end of May. Ugh...it's just a nightmare to try and think about every scenario and safety measure.
Each desk should be wiped down and the cloth tossed. I'm seeing waiting rooms being cleaning with one cloth. And this was at a hospital.

• Wow
Reactions: jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm just trying to process what's the right thing to do in light of the highest numbers yet for the United States on Thursday. One of the things that I struggle with now as we make plans to return to school is the arrogance and dismissive attitudes that are getting louder and stronger. The louder and stronger they get, the higher the case counts rise, it seems. In March, we didn't know better because we weren't told. and we didn't have the experience of dealing with coronavirus. Each week, new knowledge is being share and we know more now than we did then.

I'm wondering if the only ones left standing in this country will be the ones who can adapt to wearing masks, to socially distancing themselves and to hand washing. And if that is the case, do those people like nurses and doctors have to take care of the ones who get coronavirus because they chose not to wear masks and distance themselves? Is it the hospitals' constitutional right not to admit them so that the staff isn't put into harm's way?

I read about a coach of a youth team that has Covid-19 and continued to coach without concern for his players or fellow coaches. He sometimes wore a mask and he sometimes socially distanced. The coaches, players and parents didn't know that he had it because he didn't want them to know. He attended a 4th of July party but didn't tell people that he had coronavirus. He won't give out names for contact tracing. Meanwhile, rumors have gotten around and those in attendance want to confirm if it is true. The county health department's hands are tied.

These kinds of stories make me doubt sending my dd back to school. For me, it becomes, can I trust that you are wearing a mask and socially distancing when your are out? Can I trust that you are going to quarantine yourself and not spread it to me? Can I trust that your child hasn't been exposed and you are telling the truth?
I know the teachers and principals have the best interest. I've seen their video emails. There's just a lot more to consider this week than even two weeks ago. We were in a hot spot region in the spring. I do not want to be back there again.

The colleges start back soon too. With students coming from all parts of the country, what will that mean to my college age children who have been trying to remain healthy by wearing masks, socially distancing and hand washing? I've heard from the colleges that masks are to be worn at all times except in their dorm room and when they eat. They are asking students to do this in the spirit of love and concern for their fellow classmates and professors. If they can not do that, there will be consequences.

There's so much to prayerfully consider these days.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I wouldn't want to be an adminstrator, teacher or parent in this school year. I have no children/grandchildren in school but I do have family members & other kids in the system. Our DS & DIL work in the maintenance at school.

I feel when/if in person school starts there is going to be a jump in cases maybe a big one.

We made a donation to a local teacher today. She's raising money to buy water bottles for the kindergarten class because she doesn't think they'll be able to use the water fountains.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
My mom has been telling me about their crap show at her school already and it's just summer school. They handed them a semi filled bottle of "cleaner" and said to use it sparingly because they probably weren't getting any more. They are supposed to use this to clean all the time in the room. They aren't allowed to use Clorox wipes because it negates the sanitizing machines that the janitors use to clean everything. They said that they weren't going to focus on attendance so that parents wouldn't send their kids to school sick, but as soon as summer school started they did the exact opposite and started pressing attendance. There have been a mountain of other issues as well.

They aren't taking student temps here (that i'm aware of). I am wondering if they will at least be taking staff temperatures and will teachers be tested at regular intervals for Covid? Should they be? I think it will most likely come from students though. The HSTA (Hawaii State Teachers Association) President said in an interview that all the teachers he has heard from would rather retire or lose a year than go back to school this year and meanwhile you have the Hawaii Superintendent of Schools saying that everyone that did summer school (teachers and parents) thought it was fantastic and can't wait to go back to school because it will be so safe. I call B.S. and think she is making stuff up.

Mary- I think that's so wrong about that coach. He should be held accountable for his actions just as someone would if they had HIV and infected other people by doing whatever with them and not telling them. So very wrong.

I also wonder how pickup is going to be at the end of the day. We have open-air schools so at the end of the day kids are just released and parents freely walk onto campuses to get their children. I hope they have a more organized system this year so the kids aren't just running around not social distancing and the parents doing the same. No guests are allowed on campus during the day so I would hope they outline a pickup/dropoff procedure that they enforce heavily. Pickup is the worst and will cause the most issues.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Each desk should be wiped down and the cloth tossed. I'm seeing waiting rooms being cleaning with one cloth. And this was at a hospital.
I agree!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
That is the whole point to the masks! The better the mask is at filtering the better off you are - IF you wear it correctly - and if you put it on and take it off correctly. The CDC has guidelines I read up on and have been following.

Another key factor is to NOT TOUCH it after you've got it on. Not touch your face etc.

I think it is going to be SUPER hard for kids, especially little ones to understand let alone follow that part of things when they are required to wear masks all day at school. They are going to be constantly touching/adjusting them. :(

THIS!!! This drives me BATTY! So many people wearing them wrong, wearing them around their NECKs even.

I think people just don't think - or they act of instinct because they haven't retrained themselves.

This whole thing just SUCKS. I'm so tired of it. But tired of it doesn't mean I'm going to get sloppy about taking common sense precautions. It just wears on you though.

I have not seen shortages or any "runs" on stores in our area yet (Northern Indiana) but I'll keep an eye out. I have seen signs at cash registers mentioning the coin shortage.
I see store employees with the mask on but not over the nose. My once a week trip to the grocery store has me reminding myself to not touch my mask/face. I feel better at it now than at first in March. I hear ya, it is wearing on one’s mind. And ... ya ... now a coin shortage?

Ahorsesoul

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am getting better at not touching my face. I am a big face toucher now that I'm paying attention.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
These posts about school make me anxious. So glad dgkids will school at home. Dd's family returned home last night from New Mexico. They said going in to NM road signs told travellers to quarantine 14 days. The motel said they had to quarantine the length of their stay, with no pool privileges or continental breakfast, even though dd received notification of her negative test result. The motel provided them sack breakfasts - apple, muffin, drink - and everything else had to be takeout. Dd's son visited them in their motel room. Dd called work to tell them of her trip and asked if she needs to quarantine - they said no as long as she feels fine. Work takes temperatures, enforces masks & distancing, and everyone cleans.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
@missjane They will have temperature scanners at the entrances for children to walk through upon arrival. At M's school, they are asking parents to take temperatures daily and will do random tests upon arrival. I guess I need to get a new electronic thermometer that scans instead of going in the mouth.

We received a huge letter yesterday from M's principal. These were some of the items:

• Parents / students conduct a temperature / symptom check in the morning before coming to school. If symptoms are present, such as high fever, the student should stay home and participate in classes virtually while absent. If the student participates in virtual instruction while out of school, the student will be counted as attending. This is meant to encourage students to remain out of school if symptomatic, while also being able to keep up with their academic work seamlessly.​
●Students may ride the bus or provide their own transportation to school. If riding the bus,students must wear a mask / face covering.
●Upon arrival to school, each grade level will have a designated area to sit in until they are dismissed to homeroom. This will allow for adequate social distancing.
●Students are encouraged to use a clear or mesh backpack or book sling, as lockers will not be available to students at the start of the school year to avoid congregating in close proximity.
●Dismissal from one class period to the next will be staggered to reduce the number of students in the hallway.
●Students will eat lunch with their 5th period classmates. Some classes will eat lunch in the cafeteria, while others will eat in their classroom. This will reduce the number of students in the cafeteria to provide for additional spacing between students.
●Classroom furniture will be set up to create the maximum amount of space possible between desks.
●Per the current directive from the Department of Health, students, teachers, and staff members are required to wear masks during class, unless they have a Section 504 plan or an Individualized Education Plan that states otherwise.
●All school buses, classes, and lunches will have seating charts in case the Department of Health contacts us for tracing of a COVID19 case.

Far from a normal school day. M wants to go back and is willing to deal with the changes just to be in school. I think social distancing will be the challenging part. Since I'm a thinker....lol...I keep thinking that we will be teaching them all how to be cooperative with others, when in reality they will be working independently all day long. It seems silly to me.

Students are also expected to bring water bottles. It was suggested that they get bottle fillers installed on the fountains (at my school, as M's already has them....her superintendent is on the school board in my district) but I doubt that my firsties will be able to take a cap off, hold it and fill a bottle at the same time, yet alone reach the filler. I'll have to come up with some kind of routine for that.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
Lisa- That is a pretty comprehensive, detailed plan at least. I like that they at least gave you the information about how things will go and what is expected. I wonder how long it will take for each student to go through the temp scanner everyday? I like the seating chart thing for contact tracing.

Ahorsesoul

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love how they give guideline but can not tell anyone How it should be done. One of those it looks good on paper from people who haven't been in an actual classroom for some time. Or am I wrong? Have they thought about how some of this will interfere with fire guidelines? Seems classrooms will not have a clear pathway to exit quickly.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I love how they give guideline but can not tell anyone How it should be done. One of those it looks good on paper from people who haven't been in an actual classroom for some time. Or am I wrong? Have they thought about how some of this will interfere with fire guidelines? Seems classrooms will not have a clear pathway to exit quickly.
Of course these decisions are made by people who haven't been in a classroom in years! o_O It will interfere with fire guidelines as well as intruder guidelines with doors and windows wide open.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
The school that my 8th grader attends has a task force set up for coronavirus that has parents, the principal and teachers on it. The principal is a member of the larger five county wide task force to address how things will play out and share ideas. I feel better that there is a mix of teachers and parents sharing ideas and concerns to the principal who then talks with others to see how things may play out. Putting things on paper is one thing but reality is a whole other thing.

We will have to do daily temperature checks before leaving the house. We will then have to submit a daily affidavit that there was no temperature higher than 100.4 and that we did not give any fever reducing medication. Then at school, there will be temperature checks before entering the building. If the temperature check is off two times in a row, then the student will be sent to a waiting room for the parent to pick up.

No one is absent unless they do not show up in the building or in the virtual classroom. If you are a no show on line, then you are absent. I can live with that and I've told dd that if there is a slight cough, etc. , she'll stay home from school that day and attend the virtual classroom.

Students will be in the same room all day long based on math groups. The exception is the math honor's group. There is not enough students to warrant their own homeroom so they will be divided in half. During the math period, the math teacher will get one group at a time and make sure they are distancing themselves as they walk to the math classroom. For the rest of the time, students will not be changing classrooms. The teachers will be.

Back to school shopping is looking like a Coronavirus scavenger hunt. Books will not be shared nor will Chromebooks. We just bought my dd a Chromebook since that is what they use. The colleges are asking that the students bring cleaning supplies and a thermometer for taking their temperature before leaving the dorm room.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The numbers that are listed in the news are very alarming. I think that this "wave" is much worse than the first time around and there seem to be several "hotspots" in the very large cities near us. The death toll seems to be rising everyday, not 100's but 2 or 3 deaths everyday and even that is way too many.
I am concerned that this 2nd wave will keep growing and growing as it seems much harder to keep it in check this time.
Mum and I are making washable face masks and I will be looking seriously at the emergency stockpile in case we are forced to lock down again. I really do believe that things were opened up way too early and this is the result.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Our schools are going back at 100% capacity. That surprised me. I thought they'd at least do smaller classes. Not many cases here, but still. I know they aren't putting 28 5-year-olds in a small room where there is no air system and they aren't allowed to open the windows and keeping those kids healthy. They want to open up to the rest of the country by the end of the month where there are lots of areas with higher caseloads, and then send all the kids back to school as usual. The only rule is going to be masks on schoolbuses. More info is supposed to be ready later this week. I hope enough parents are concerned that they bring in a few more precautions.
I was already 90% sure I'd be homeschooling, but that sealed the deal for me.
Someone on Facebook had their status as "Sure I trust the schools to handle Covid; just look at how well they've handled lice!" They aren't allowed to send you home here if you have an active lice infestation, so our schools are always full of it. Kids get in trouble if they don't want to sit next to someone with an active lice infestation or share their things with them because it's stigmatizing the child and could harm their self esteem. I could see them doing that with Covid here eventually - common sense is just not common anymore.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Dd deals craps, and 2 nights ago one of the very entitled players kept taking off her mask. Dd had to tell her every 2 minutes to please put her mask back on, until the woman told dd she needed to chill out and take a break. Dd just wanted to rip into her but knew she would probably be fired, so she called her floorman to take her (dd) off the game and let her go home - she was tired of babysitting.

Looking at the local news this morning we have our highest # of hospitalizations, over 400 complaints of violations have been filed, and the school board & teachers union voted (77%) to open with distance learning on August 24.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
They have formed a task force here to monitor bars (maybe restaurants too) and so far have shut down at least two bars for operating past closing time and over capacity, not practicing social distancing or enforcing mask wearing. Our mayor is cracking down and I can't say that it bothers me. I wish they would focus on some of these outlier restaurants a bit more but so far they seem to be focused downtown. They want people to call in violations as well. There is still talk about the safety of going back to school but it doesn't seem like anyone is listening, they are determined to go back regardless and offer a distance learning option to those that want it.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Dd deals craps, and 2 nights ago one of the very entitled players kept taking off her mask. Dd had to tell her every 2 minutes to please put her mask back on, until the woman told dd she needed to chill out and take a break.
Ugh! Those attitudes just don't sit well with me. That's good that your dd is advocating for herself.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
We finally received Eli's school plan on Tuesday afternoon. They are doing teams like DD's school and basing the teams off of the eldest child's last name in the same complex (high school, middle school) so the students are on the same schedule for childcare issues. We still haven't gotten the card in the mail yet stating which team/teacher Eli will have but he should be on the same schedule as DD (Tuesday/Thursday). He will be on campus two days, assigned learning at home two days and distance learning one day. Some other points of interest:
  • They will not have to wear their masks at their desks since they will be spaced 6' apart
  • They also won't have to wear them at recess since they will maintain 6' social distance. There will be structured activities at recess to ensure this.
  • Lunch will be eaten in the classrooms
  • Dismissal- students walking home will be walked to the school gate to ensure social distancing on school grounds, if being picked up they will remain in classroom until parents arrive on property and they will call for student
  • Arrival- students will go straight to classrooms to their desks
  • No visitors on campus allowed, appointments must be scheduled to meet with staff
  • All extracurricular activities are cancelled until further notice
  • There will be sanitation stations in all classrooms- handwashing/sanitizer and students will wash hands frequently and clean desks, supplies, etc at designated times throughout the day.
I'm wondering if school will actually start on the 4th as has been mandated. The teacher's union, and now two other unions for support staff, have stated that they don't agree with the start date and think it should be delayed for safety and health reasons. With all the school staff now pushing for a delay and coming together, i'm wondering if a strike is in the making and maybe the students won't start on the 4th. Time will tell!