Country Living

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I picked up the October issue of Country Living today--it's a keeper! Lots of Halloween crafts, decorations and recipes, plus all kinds of other gorgeous stuff. They have a whole article on gilding pumpkins! Gilding Pumpkins!! How fabulous is that? Only way they could be any prettier is if they were glittered as well!!

My brother told me today that the flood at our farm that resulted from Hurricane Gustav washed away most of the pumpkins. Stupid hurricane.

The October 7 issue of Woman's Day is pretty fabby, too! Gotta love a magazine that has a cover story called "Haunt your House-Pumpkins, Crafts, Costumes"!! Check it out!

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Sorry about the pumpkins. We lost two trees in our yard and no power for two days. But I kept thinking at least I have a roof over my head. I'm glad Ike isn't headed here unless they've changed it. I'm not wishing it on anybody else either. ANyway I love magazines. It's hard to find a stopping place. Sometimes I go to the library and read them.

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
Cathy,
How devastating to have lost all those pumpkins.

One year, I had a pumpkin that I didn't carve and by the end of November it was beginning to turn mushy. I threw it into our pasture. Now, the cattle nibbled on it a bit, and "deposited" the pumpkin seeds unbeknownst to me, throughout the 30 acres they were confined to. Imagine my surprise when I had pumpkins the next fall, growing here & there.

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall next summer, when people, (down stream), are scratching their heads wondering where in the heck the pumpkin vines are coming from? LOL.

Pippi
P.S.-I received a pumpkin last year that was gold. I don't know if it was gold leaf or not. Am wondering.....can you spray paint pumpkins? Anyone have success with that? Thanks!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Pippi- Yes, you can spray paint pumpkins. I've never personally done it but i've seen them in magazines before.

I picked up both of those issues last weekend. I grab anything that has Halloween stuff on the cover. LOL

MamaCat

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Oh, I love that magazine! I'll have to be on the look-out for the new issue! BTW, I know you can spray paint those nice "fake" pumpkins that you buy, so I'm sure you can do the same with the real ones!

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
:hat: THANKS!

I am gonna spray some!

In the meantime, I've been bored with my bright orange electric jack-o-lantern along with several other imposters....so I took some brown shoe polish to 'em and grunged 'em up. I basically rubbed it on and wiped it off. Now they look almost real. Eeery.

Pippi

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Sorry Cathymac about the pumpkins, and thanks for the tip - will go on Friday to find the issue!
Pippi, that is so funny! Would love to see your pasture with random pumpkins growing! lol :-D

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
I made the Trick or Treat banner shown in the Woman's Day yesterday..so cute and so easy! I'll be posting pictures of it on the Haunted Hamlet a little later this morning.

The pumpkins weren't the worst of the loss...my brother sells hay and at least 35 of the huge rolls of hay floated away too...that's several hundred dollars of income loss for him. Wonder where THEY ended up? He thinks that with his luck they are in New Orleans! (500 miles from here) Good thing his fiancee has a day job!! LOL!!

MamaCat

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Stopped & bought the new issue of Country Living on my way into work this morning! Can barely wait until my lunch break to take a peek at it (in fact, I plan on looking at way before lunch time!)!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
No kidding! But you know, they would be very pretty just spray painted with gold paint, as well. I've done that...and a sprinkle of clear glitter would send it over the top!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am sooo jealous. I live in Australia and we don't get any of the magazines you are talking about. Mind you we don't traditionally celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving and here it is spring not autumn (Talk about backwards), but I would really love to try my hand at some of these crafts. One day when I visit the US on vacation I shall have to bring a suitcase just for all the books and magazines I'm going to buy.
Looking forward to that day

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Peppermint pattie, and everyone else would be welcome anytime.