cousin's reunion

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
I hosted 1 in 2015. Only 2 of my cousin's showed up. But that's ok. I have them scattered all over the USA...... but am wanting to plan another. This year. Then try to do it once a year, as their is only 1 brother & 1 sister left on my mothers' side. I really m blessed to have a close relationship with lot of them thru social media & their r at least 5 or 6 of us, that meet up for different occasions....

Am up for some ideas, b4 I post what occurred in our 1st one..
TIA

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Oh a reunion, how wonderful.
When are you thinking of holding it?

Reactions: DawnSu

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
The end of August is in my mind, right now. I do know we will serve simple finger foods. But last one, I made a pot of spaghetti. Want something simple. The less I have to fret over it, the better. But am wanting to do a memorial table of our loved ones that have gained their wings. We have lost 4 of the ants & uncles in the last 2 years..... bit of blank on how to gee more involved. As I have several out of state.. heck even the ones within an hour, is hard to get to attend.... but that's probe cuz' no alcoholic beverages r allowed...

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
We had a family tree poster at our last family reunion with little leaves that the family members could write their names on before adding them to the tree. We had some with black edging for family members who were no longer with us.

Almost all of the senior members at the reunion (my aunts and uncles) are gone now but I would love to have a cousins' reunion. Most of us are on the West Coast - you've really got me thinking now.

I'm trying to remember what kind of food we had - I think it was mostly deli trays from Costco, a cake, and there was a LOT of fried chicken. My aunt who hosted the event made up gift baskets with local items - nuts, olives, things like that along with brochures for places to visit in the local area. It was so wonderful to see everyone.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
Yes, the poster makes it an all together project with us living cousins

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
The end of August is in my mind, right now. I do know we will serve simple finger foods. But last one, I made a pot of spaghetti. Want something simple. The less I have to fret over it, the better. But am wanting to do a memorial table of our loved ones that have gained their wings. We have lost 4 of the ants & uncles in the last 2 years..... bit of blank on how to gee more involved. As I have several out of state.. heck even the ones within an hour, is hard to get to attend.... but that's probe cuz' no alcoholic beverages r allowed...
Is that a personal choice or are you using a venue that doesn't allow alcoholic beverages? I find more and more people are not offering alcohol since there is such concern that people will over-indulge and then attempt to drive home. Hosts/hostesses just don't want to deal with that responsibility.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
Its a personal choice, as my family knows the dramatic childhood I had with alcohol. I am sure I WOULD HAVE MORE ATTENDACE, but I just can't handle it....

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Its a personal choice, as my family knows the dramatic childhood I had with alcohol. I am sure I WOULD HAVE MORE ATTENDACE, but I just can't handle it....
I completely understand and commend you for sticking to your principles.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My parents hosted all the family parties for the reason you mentioned above. (Mom's childhood) Uncle tried it bring it in one year and may Dad asked them to take it back out. It didn't stop them from coming to our house they just had to postpone their drinking.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Gosh, we rarely had alcohol at reunions. I only remember may be the last year or two at moms. There was beer in a cooler but no one drank it. My dad and I shared a beer after everyone had left that last year we had the reunion be for mom died. First time I ever had a drink with my dad.
Our cousins reunion now is the Friday before Memorial Day. We visit all the family graves and put flowers on each one. 6 cemeteries, 29 graves. We meet Panera’s for breakfast and have lunch at a restaurant after. Lots of laughter and tears. Everyone is invited but it’s just been the core group of cousins coming.
It’s nice because no one has to clean house or cook or clean up and we get to remember everyone that is gone. If we can get together other times it’s great if we not we atleast see each other on that day.