Crafters Challenge April 18th——April 24th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

We're leaving for a short camping trip this morning. I'm taking along some knitting and CCS. I have one more CCS motif to finish to make Mother's Day cards. I send them to my DDs and to one DFriend.

I also hope to get a hooded towel made for Julia (Frozen-themed that she requested) and the last two months' of the calendar hangers. I'll probably be lucky if I get those done, as we are having beautiful weather all week, and I'll definitely want to get outside and work in the garden.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hi, guys. You've all been so busy. I haven't gotten much accomplished but little bits here and there. I did get to go to a craft supply sale at the ag center in the city closest to us. My neighbor lady looks forward to it all year and now I understand why! They had everything from jewelry making to knitting, sewing, scrapbooking/journaling, painting, woodwork, floral, and on and on and on. I had so much fun and found lots of treasures and then went back on Saturday with my daughters for their half price sale. My girls loved it! ;) I need to have a list ready next year so I can look for specific items- this was my first time and I didn't know what to expect. I actually thought it was more of a craft bazaar and had mostly thought I would be going to get ideas. I came home with a lot more than ideas.......

I'm planning to get some work done on ornaments and the knitted throws this week. I'm also making covers for the side porch rockers and some new pillows for the chairs out on the front porch. I'm using mostly old jeans and new denim for the decor out there which will go well with the Americana type decor I want to use for my summer decor and all the pretty flowers I just planted out front. And I've been planning a little makeover in my girls' bedroom so there will be some crafty stuff coming up for that. We've also got the annual boxcar derby coming up at school in a couple of weeks so I'm helping my daughter make hers. She's decided on a Swan Princess theme. She really likes ducks and swans and when we started looking on Pinterest for ideas, we saw some of the princess coaches/carriages on there and got creative combining the two ideas. I understand there will be a lot of racecars, monster trucks, police cars, etc. and one girl is doing a dolphin theme. I can't wait to see what they come up with. It's our last year to participate and I'm glad she's chosen something a little out of the norm. Or should I say, thinking outside the box. :D

Lana- thank you for starting this thread every week. :)

Katrina- that is a LOT of bunting. I think you're very wise to put other things on next year if necessary. I know the wedding will be beautiful! I love your "one new thing" plan. Crocheting has been on my list for a while now. This year, my new thing is the guitar.

jampss- I just love your work!

DJ- have fun on your camping trip!

Have a great week, guys.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina- that is a LOT of bunting. I think you're very wise to put other things on next year if necessary. I know the wedding will be beautiful! I love your "one new thing" plan. Crocheting has been on my list for a while now. This year, my new thing is the guitar.
Kringle, Guitar? How interesting. I have never been musically minded.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Not musically skilled minded here either. My husband used to play all the time and sing. He sang to me at church on our wedding day.
My new green fabric has arrived! It is green and beautiful!!! I’m very pleased. Will need to get a hand full of zippers because the ones in my stash are not a good match. Other than that I’m ready to start sewing purses and wallets.
I ordered some photos printed on quilting cotton for ornaments. They turned out really sharp. Much easier to order than me fooling around trying to do it.
Not sure what all I’ll get done this week. Want to make me a few new masks. Need to confirm with my friend about our sewing date this weekend.
Have a good week everyone!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I just preordered the MSQC Christmas box. Will be sent out in November and you open a gift daily December 1st-25th. I have thought about it and probably shouldn't have---who knows maybe I will get 7 to 10 things I will use or like----will see. (Hopefully more) Guess they had it last year-not sure if that was the first year or not.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I just preordered the MSQC Christmas box. Will be sent out in November and you open a gift daily December 1st-25th. I have thought about it and probably shouldn't have---who knows maybe I will get 7 to 10 things I will use or like----will see. (Hopefully more) Guess they had it last year-not sure if that was the first year or not.
My friend Lynn preordered one too! I had them send me the list of what was in last years box and decided against getting one. (How did I miss them doing it last year I don’t know.) Tons of nice stuff last year, but not things that I would actually use. Lynn said if it’s even 1/2 as good as last year she will be thrilled. I’m sure you will enjoy it, especially having something crafty to open every day! And it’s nice just to do something fun for our selves. Enjoy!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Been driving a lot so the crocheting is coming along well:)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Oh, the MSQC Christmas box sounds very tempting!

We got back from our too short camping trip. I did plenty of knitting while riding along to and from our destination. We toured the country seeing barn quilts. I'm so anxious for DH to get mine hung above the garage.

I also did some CCS on our trip and have the last Mother's Day motif ready for the backstitching. When we got home I was able to finish stitching the freestanding lace pieces together for a summer hat for my cat wine bottle. It's a little too big, but pretty cute anyway.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Took at look at those boxes. Was some cute items in the box last year like the Trimble cup.
There is a quilt shop here in Ontario that does a mystery quilt for the countdown. Each day you open an envelope with a block for the quilt. They also do so many days of Christmas were they put up to three items on sale just for that day. Supplies to fabric. You buy what you want and at the end of the days of Christmas they box everything together and ship it out. You could also add other items to that box from their site. There was another store as well that used to do it but stopped.

Quilt top is done as are the socks. Also have taken care of the mending pile. Need to decide what shawl pattern I want to use for the girls shawls so I can start working on them.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Sewing room is all set up for sewing day with my friend Debbie. I’m so excited.
Finished a photo ornament yesterday. Not sure if I’ll have time to finish the second one today.
Didn’t get a lot done this week but, that’s ok. Still have plenty of time to work on gifts.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Rose ~ Those boxes where you order what you want and they ship it at Christmas sound great! I wouldn't remember everything I put in the box, so it would be a wonderful surprise!

Myron's Mom ~ It's so much fun to craft with a friend. Kathy and I are trying to get back to a local quilt shop that has Open Sew, but they are not offering it again quite yet. We keep checking.

I finished the CCS motifs for Mother's Day cards and ordered a new circle cutter to make aperture cards.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Sewing day is over. We had a lot of fun. I was able to help Debbie with some of her projects. She had a long list lol. Planning another day. I’m going to check for some beginner sewing classes for us to go to. I don’t mind going because I always learn something. I found out she’s never been to Amish country for fabric shopping. I told her that could be dangerous, lol. And she wants to go to the sewing expo in Akron this summer.
Tomorrow if my back will let me I’ll start quilting my husbands quilt.

Reactions: jampss and Lana

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Myron's Mom ~ It sounds like you've got a new sewing buddy! You will have a wonderful time introducting her to Amish country!

We had a rainy day here after several very nice days (when I gardened), so I was able to get back into the studio. I made a small towel for Sonja's toy kitchen using a towel topper that turned out to be too small for the larger towels. I had a flour sack towel to use and some coordinating fabric to trim the bottom with (just happened to have the same line of fabric in the same colorway in my stash). Don't ya love it when that happens?! I also finished a hooded towel with "Frozen" theme for Julia which she requested. I found a new Elsa applique design that I put on the hood, and again, just happened to have the perfect background fabric for the heart applique behind Elsa.

Next (but probably not today), I want to put a machine embroidery design on a t-shirt for DH (picture of a glass of beer and wording "Hoppy Camper"). Then I need to finish the November and December calendar hangers. I'm way behind my proposed schedule on the hangers, but actually so very close to having them all done. I mailed the May hangers today.

Reactions: jampss and Lana

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lana ~ Once our COVID isolation is relaxed, perhaps you could meet someone at a craft event like I met Kathy. It's something you can't "make happen" though, but you could be on the watch. I was sitting at the salon getting a pedicure and knitting one time and started chatting with the woman in the next chair. She's a quilter (and a knitter) and I gave her my phone number in case she wanted to get together sometime. I've never heard from her, but it was an opening. Another time I was at a craft presentation and started talking to a couple of women who ended up inviting me to their weekly craft event. That group is now meeting via Zoom until we can meet in person again (soon).

Reactions: Lana and jampss

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lana, I’m so blessed to have my crafty friends and family. While we don’t do all the same types of things we still have fun shopping and attending events. Its nice to always have someone I can text a picture to ask for opinions. Some times I go to events by my self. I always find people to chat with.