Crafters Challenge August 5th-11th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
When I finish the one I started last night, I will have crocheted 40 snowflakes. It's probably time to sew in the ends, and then I need to decide how I want to stiffen them. The directions say to use glue and pin them to the lid of a pizza box - but glue isn't something I have ever used, and I don't have a pizza box. Any suggestions?

I'm going to pick up a project that has been unfinished for the past...um...20 years. Wow, those years went by fast!
I can think of a great use for some of those snowflakes - next year's MHH CIJ Ornament Swap!

Reactions: GrammaDeb and Lana

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
GrammaDeb … Try starch.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Back in the day I can remember my mum stiffening snowflakes with a strong sugar solution.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Use to be able to get a power laundry starch and make it a little thicker that the directions said too. That’s what I did when I use to crochet dollies. Haven’t seen it in the stores for a few years now but if you can get liquid starch use that. Just let them soak in it for a few minutes to be sure it soaked through them.

I have heard of people using a sugar mixture but I would be afraid of it attaching bugs.

Fuchsia

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
When I finish the one I started last night, I will have crocheted 40 snowflakes. It's probably time to sew in the ends, and then I need to decide how I want to stiffen them. The directions say to use glue and pin them to the lid of a pizza box - but glue isn't something I have ever used, and I don't have a pizza box. Any suggestions?
Use equal parts of white glue and water mixed together. You can pin the snowflakes to any corrugated cardboard or styrofoam surface - cover it with plastic wrap first tho'! I've done the sugar water to stiffen but it starts to turn brown after several years

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Thank you for the suggestions. I have used sugar-water for a beautiful doily that turned brown - I wasn't happy with that. I don't think I've used starch. I forgot about the stiffening solution - I've used it several times with good results - can't believe I forgot. If I can't find it I will try the glue. I appreciate your help.