Crafters Challenge August 8th---August 14th, 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Getting half way thru August!!!

I ordered an apron pattern from Missouri Star Quilt and planning to do Jaymee and Teigan one for Christmas.

I need to get some mirror paint and try the item that I have picked out to do for the 12 Days of Christmas Swap!

Jody, I envy you getting the AG doll clothes made. I have several patterns but never do any.

Myron's Mom great job on being done almost with your crafting gifts!

What is everybody doing this week?????

Happy Crafting my friends!!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I need to reevaluate my wish list as I really don't think I am going to achieve a great deal this year. I will keep plodding along but will be OK if I don't get it all done, I will have a list for next year lol

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
We will be at the lake again Tuesday-Tuesday, so I'm taking CCS and knitting. I finished the Interrupted Cowl for DD#1 and would like to make one for DD#2. I need to find yarn for the second one. May do that today.

I hope to start the CCS calendar motifs for Valentin. He's turning 3 in December, and I don't plan on giving them to him till he turns 5, so hopefully I'm well ahead of the game, if I actually DO IT! It will probably take me at least a year to complete all the motifs, then there's turning them into hanging do-das for the calendar.

Reactions: jampss and Lana

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've put together all my scrapbook stuff for our trip.

Will also work on some Ornament Girl ornaments - with Hanukkah themes - and take my knitting. Should keep me busy for all those times when DH is napping;)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Long time since I've posted here!!! Things have been SO busy! And with school starting that isn't likely to get any better! However, I have continued to craft and plan to be much better about posting here! I've missed hearing/seeing what everyone is working on!!!

I'm focusing on felt ornaments this year - I don't know if I'll get the chance to finish all of them I have planned let alone have time for other crafting for gifts - but we'll see!!!

Finished this little guy and plan 2 more of him!

https://flic.kr/p/2mggufx
Also completed 4 more of the Charlotte the Fox ornament I made last year, intended as gifts for different people this year!

So this week I will continue work on polar bears and hopefully finally get started on another wave of Mrs. Santa Claus ornaments I have planned this year. Kits are prepped. Just need to get started!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, that is beautiful. You do store quality work, I am always so impressed.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
AJ, how sweet! Do you have any tips for stuffing them??? Yours always look so perfect! Mine look like they were in a car accident lol.

I finished my quilt top on Monday, pieced the backing and cut the batting. I didn’t get back to it until today. I got it sandwich so it’s ready to go. I have enough binding left from the winterville quilts so I’m set with that. I need to transfer the quilting pattern from the disk to my stick and may still get to that tonight.
Hope everyone had a good week.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Do you have any tips for stuffing them???
I buy pillows from discount stores like Big Lots and just cut them open and pull the stuffing out to use as needed. I've found that taking small bits and rolling them around in my hands so they are not so "fly away" helps me get them into the area I am stuffing. I use the bottom end of a crochet hook - or the top of a small knitting needle - to push the stuffing down into the piece I'm working on. Once I get it going I often use my fingers to reach down in and massage things around.

I'll sew up the piece a little bit more, add more stuffing, poke it down with tool mentioned above, sew a bit more, and so on. Once it seems pretty full - but not bursting I'll finish up the sewing then massage the piece from the outside to get everything into place.

If I have trouble with little fly away bits trying to stick out during the last bit of sewing I use the sharp end of knitting needle (kind of laying it sideways and pressing down) to press everything down then I squeeze together the two sides left to sew and withdraw the knitting needle. Then it is a matter of holding those two pieces in place long enough to finish sewing.

I've learned not to overstuff or sew TOO close to the edge of the felt - especially on toys that get handled a lot - leads to splitting of seams eventually!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I buy pillows from discount stores like Big Lots and just cut them open and pull the stuffing out to use as needed. I've found that taking small bits and rolling them around in my hands so they are not so "fly away" helps me get them into the area I am stuffing. I use the bottom end of a crochet hook - or the top of a small knitting needle - to push the stuffing down into the piece I'm working on. Once I get it going I often use my fingers to reach down in and massage things around.

I'll sew up the piece a little bit more, add more stuffing, poke it down with tool mentioned above, sew a bit more, and so on. Once it seems pretty full - but not bursting I'll finish up the sewing then massage the piece from the outside to get everything into place.

If I have trouble with little fly away bits trying to stick out during the last bit of sewing I use the sharp end of knitting needle (kind of laying it sideways and pressing down) to press everything down then I squeeze together the two sides left to sew and withdraw the knitting needle. Then it is a matter of holding those two pieces in place long enough to finish sewing.

I've learned not to overstuff or sew TOO close to the edge of the felt - especially on toys that get handled a lot - leads to splitting of seams eventually!
Thanks for the tips!!!! Reading what you wrote, I think I’m sewing too much at one time and I’m an “over stuffer”. I’ll have to give it another try this winter.
Your work is beautiful.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul and Lana