Crafters Challenge February 19th-February 25th, 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Welcome!!!!

As always you are a bunch of workers!

I do believe that I have my item picked out for the CIJ ornament swap and also what I will do for the 12 Days of Christmas. I should have the majority of it all also.

I took my machine in today to get it checked and cleaned and they said it would take about 2 weeks. I also purchased a new machine. I cannot pick it up for 10 days so will get both at once. I wrote a check and they have to wait 10 days for it to clear. That's okay because we all know my sewing room isn't cleaned out!!!!

Jaymee and Teigan each picked out a quilting book. I hope Jaymee will get back into sewing. She has made 2 or 3 quilts in the past and a baby quilt.

What are you all going to work on this week?

HAPPY HAPPY CRAFTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I absolutely loathe the pattern I selected for shamrock coasters. The instructions are worded strangely and are far more complicated than anything I've worked on so far. But I'm going to soldier on and complete the one in-work and start on a second. Maybe it will get easier the more I do. (But I didn't feel that way yesterday, when I needed guidance from our instructor for each step in the pattern. Even she commented on it and her initial response was "Are you sure this is an American pattern? It doesn't read that way! Hmm, that's a strange way of saying that.") I also want to organize my growing yarn collection so I can more easily find what I need.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I absolutely loathe the pattern I selected for shamrock coasters. The instructions are worded strangely and are far more complicated than anything I've worked on so far. But I'm going to soldier on and complete the one in-work and start on a second. Maybe it will get easier the more I do. (But I didn't feel that way yesterday, when I needed guidance from our instructor for each step in the pattern. Even she commented on it and her initial response was "Are you sure this is an American pattern? It doesn't read that way! Hmm, that's a strange way of saying that.") I also want to organize my growing yarn collection so I can more easily find what I need.
I found this one from the gal I like ...

Reactions: Lori K and Lana

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lana ~ Is the new machine so that you and Teigan and/or Jaymee can sew at the same time? Cleaning and organizing my studio is something I need to do, too...always!

I'm making some progress on CCS and also making some Christmas cards. I hope to continue with that progress this week.

Also, I've got a rather complicated knit scarf/shawl that I want to get started on. It's called a butterfly shawl and incorporates short rows with rap and turns. I'm thinking it will take some concentration unlike the one-row shawl pattern I've been doing. I may need to start another simple shawl so that I have something easy to knit during our Stitched Together meetings.

I might make it my goal to finish up some Christmas card tuck-ins on or before Rudy Day. There's not much left to complete them.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I think Jaymee will take interest in the new machine. She will probably have to help me especially at first with downloads and such. Told her she could go to my guidance class with me when I go. Jaymee does have a machine (one I got at Wal-Mart) that really is a good machine, then Teigan has a small machine I got her for Christmas like 3 or 4 years ago (from Hobby Lobby a bright pink small Janome). I will keep my Rose. I went with a Baby Lock. Have been looking at them for years!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Also, I've got a rather complicated knit scarf/shawl that I want to get started on. It's called a butterfly shawl and incorporates short rows with rap and turns. I'm thinking it will take some concentration unlike the one-row shawl pattern I've been doing.
It sounds a bit like the Wingspan shawl I made. It turned out beautifully and was done with yarns for the 8 Nights of Hanukkah.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
DJ the butterfly shawl is beautiful. Are you doing it multiple colours or just two? Mary Maxim used to sell kits for it but I always thought it looked hard so didn’t order one.

This week’s plans:
(x)Rudy day—finish tuck ins and continue to work on cards
(x)March cards
(x)check to see if I have buttons, ribbon, Velcro etc needed to make the doll clothes now that I know what I’m using fabric wise and pick up anything I don’t have
(X)pull out and cut to size cross stitch fabric for some male cards—have already checked floss needed and ordered it yesterday along with a item I needed for some Easter crafting
(X)continue to work on knitting tea towel
(x)start sewing on the projects I have cut out
(x)need to come up with a idea for a April birthday card

Last edited:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Rose ~ I have a variegated yarn and black to use for the shawl. I need to see if I've rolled it into balls yet. I'll bet you could do it. You make beautiful knitted projects. Have you knit socks? I watched a good video showing the wrap and turn for the shawl. I think it's just going to be a matter of keeping my place in the pattern. I'll probably need to use sticky notes and highlighter pens.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
DJ can’t wait to hear how it goes for you. Yes I knit socks. There is another shawl pattern on my list. It’s called Rosetta Tharpe. It’s a round shawl and if I use the yard suggested (sport) the end size is 55 inches. Thinking of using a sock yarn so it would be smaller. Guess it will depend on what I can find when ready to make it.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Rose ~ I went to Ravelry to have a look. Her "Asking for Flowers" pattern is very similar and smaller. The Rosetta Tharpe shawl isn't as big when it's worn folded over. That would make it twice as warm, too. It's beautiful!

I got some new yarn from Joanns today and have started knitting a swatch for a Lacy Throw afghan. I don't want it too big, just a lap size for myself. This would be a good project to work on at our Stitched Together meetings or riding in the car. I do want to start the butterfly shawl soon, too.

Reactions: jampss and Lana

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Sending those shawl links to my cousin the knitter. They are beautiful!
Lana, I’m so happy for you! New machines are so much fun. You will love your baby lock! Cleaning your sewing room is more fun when you are making room for a new machine.
Started working on some ornaments for 2024. I wanted to get the stuff out of my sewing room.
Found the springs I tucked away to make pop up bags for gifts last year. I made one for my sewing room using the elastic that came with the spring. Ruins the look, its what I call underwear elastic, just plain white. So I got decorative elastic that matches the fabric. Should have them finished today.
I want to make some cards, will see if I get side tracked on to something else this week.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Wow, Myron's Mom, you are WAY AHEAD!

I haven't done much yet this week besides starting a new knit afghan. I helped a friend yesterday with downloading machine embroidery designs to her USB drive. We met at Starbucks and she treated me to a coffee and doughnut.