Crafters Challenge January 1st-7th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Kinda cool how the first week is the actual first full week of the year!

I am sure hoping that I do better this year than last. Had the wedding last May, and then Aunt Imogene down and by then I was just doomed so I guess I thought because I didn't get all done that I wanted. Just lazy I guess when I did have time.

This year I will get things done and earlier! Positive attitude is always good--I have been told.

Items I am planning so far this year:
( ) homemade vanilla--I do it about every other year and on the year I don't people are always missing it.

( ) 5 thread catchers---purchased material but didn't get them done.

( ) monkey blanket for my nieces 7th b'day in April

( ) pick out the 12 Days of Christmas items

( ) Pick out the items for another swap I always join.

Have several items pinned on pinterest but can't get to my boards now.

This is a small start on what I would like to do.

FIRST I really need to get into that room and totally decrapify and organize it.

What are some plans you all have.

Annie mentioned knitting classes and that would be nice.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hi Lana and all who follow -

I'm somewhat organizing some of my knitting to take on my trip so that is one thing. As I mentioned - maybe leg warmers for some of my favorite people for Christmas --

I also want to do more scrapbooking this year. I think I'm up to age 8 in DS's life and he is now 30! Also so random books I've wanted to make, including recipe books for different holidays and seasons.

And I want to learn to use my cricut and really find a place where I can spread out my crafts and DO them.

That's quite a list...

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I agree with Lana. I have to straighten up my sewing/craft room before I can begin any new projects. I think I can get that finished this week. I also need to figure out the projects I want to work on.

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
My craft work for this week is creating my craft book (clearing out tear sheets), creating craft schedule, cleaning up sewing/craft bins, and making lists of needed items.

Update 1/3
So I found a bunch of Christmas embellishments at Walmart -- 25 cents a package -- for making monogram Christmas ornaments next year.

We're cleaning out DMIL's house, getting her ready to move to Idaho in April with DSIL, and she gave YDS two dozen silk ties that belonged to DFIL. They haven't been worn in 24 years. YDS is taking what he wants and giving me the rest. I've decided to make bookmarks out of them for DSIL, DH, DKS, GDKS and all DSIL's DKS, GDKS. So, I'm off in search of a bookmark pattern this week.

Craft Book is up and almost where I want it to be. I have the list of things to do sorted by months. I have some of the "to buy" lists done.

Update 1/3 p.m.
DMIL has a dozen long dresses that she made for Marine Corps Balls -- the problem is that she was 6 ft. tall and 135 lbs. and no one else in the family is anywhere near that size. So, she's giving me three of the dresses -- one purple hawaiian print, one pink hawaiian print, and one blue velvet. I'm going to take them apart and make pillow cases, shams or throw pillows out of the hawaiian print for DSIL and DNiece. The blue velvet I'm going to remake into Christmas dresses for the "twins" -- DGD and DGNiece were born less than 24 hours apart. They will both wear size 4 dresses this year. So they are now in the sewing tote, waiting for me to take them apart one night/weekend.

Last edited:

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Well, my hubby got me the Martha Stewart weaving and knitting loom for Christmas that I had been wanting. I found a youtube with instructions for making woven heart shaped placemats on it. I want to make six for our kitchen table for Valentine's Day.

I also started working on an ornament storage box for my handmade ornaments. DD got a pair of boots that came in a nice, sturdy, big shoe box for Christmas. I am going to make it pretty and Christmassy and maybe add cups or dividers for storing my ornaments made from scrapbook paper.

Oh yeah...here is the link to the youtube with the Valentine placemats. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxL7mQDITb4

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I want to start planning my 2012 crafts and I have a scarf (for me) to finish if I want to use it this year ;)

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
If I get 2 mor scrapbook pages done this week, I will be happy with that!
I also want to make some gift tags.

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
First up on my list is to make crayon rolls. These will be for the shop and for the fall show. So far this weekend I've gotten 24 that are almost finished. So, I would like to finish all by next Monday.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am trying to hit the ground running this year!!!

I've cleared up as much clutter as possible in my craft area and started a couple of projects.

I finished a little felt owl ornament last night, so that is one thing done. I am planning on making felt ornaments for gifts for several friends this year.

I learned a lot of new skills working on DS's Quiet Book project that will translate to other projects, which is awesome!

I am also working on home decor projects. I sanded and repainted several frames over the weekend to do some gallery style arrangements in DS's room. Some frames will be filled with his artwork from daycare, some with photos of DH and I making silly faces. I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Trying to get my bearings for the year - but I have one baby shower to co-host and DS's birthday over the next month. Those events will cut into my crafting time a bit, but shouldn't be too bad.

There are a lot of things I want to try this year. I want to get better at using my sewing machine. I want to do freezer paper stenciling on clothes for DS. I want to make some seasonal wreaths (for holidays other than Christmas) for our mantle downstairs...

And I find new ideas on Pinterest every day!!!

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
My craft room is my first room to start spring cleaning next week, it isn't too bad, but needs a good cleaning! I would be happy if I could get back into my scrapbooking this year, a few crafty projects would be nice too, just need to find the best time in my day to get this stuff done...