Crafters Challenge July 21st-July 27th, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
FS. If you are thinking about doing one for each daughter what if you made it their gifts for next Christmas. That way you could collect all of the pattern, pick up the yarn when it comes on sale and work on them at your pace.

Got some Christmas gift tags done.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I took out my pattern today to confirm DD2's name won't fit on her stocking. She's adamant right now that everyone call her her full name, so while her name can be shortened, I think she wouldn't be too happy about it.

Maybe they make some kind of iron-on letters or something I could use that would stick to yarn.

FS. If you are thinking about doing one for each daughter what if you made it their gifts for next Christmas. That way you could collect all of the pattern, pick up the yarn when it comes on sale and work on them at your pace.

Yes, you're probably right. I always overestimate what I can take on between now and Christmas!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Such a busy time of year.
FS, i love the idea of afghans for all the kids. I did blankets for my kids when they were younger and they still use them now.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
FS ~ Are the names on the stockings knit into the pattern? If so, you could just knit it plain without a name and then hand-embroidery her name onto it in a smaller "font". There's a product called "memory thread" that you might be able to use to shape the letters first and then just tack them down to the stocking.

CCS: I'm within spitting distance of finishing the June owl. I've kitted up the July owl to take along with me to the lake. I still need to do the June and July cats, but, although they are smaller charts they will take longer to kit up as I need to select my own colors, so I'll hold off on those till I have more time. I also need to find fabric for a small fox CCS chart I plan to stitch up as a birth record for Valentin. I haven't decided on ornaments for DGKs (4), and they could be CCS also.

Knitting: I've got my current prayer shawl to take to the lake and can knit it on the way there. I've also got a pattern for a cowl that I'm enlisting a friend's help with. I've never had a pattern that I can't figure out, and maybe if I studied and experimented and Googled, I could do it myself, but she's had some experience with something like this, so she's working it out for me. We're going to get together when I get back from the lake, so she can give me some help with it. I need to do the cast on first, though.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Does anyone make jewelry or have a teen or grand-teen who would like to start a new hobby? I bought the supplies to make toy soldiers from a pattern for toy soldier earrings (the only thing I am missing is the earring wires (the part that goes in your pierced ear)). I had planned to incorporate the toy soldiers into my CIJ swap ornament but the timing just didn't work out and I have all these beads. If you Google toy soldier earrings, you can see what they will look like. I would be happy to mail them (domestic or international as it's just a flat padded envelope) to anyone who will make good use of them.

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Does anyone make jewelry or have a teen or grand-teen who would like to start a new hobby? I bought the supplies to make toy soldiers from a pattern for toy soldier earrings (the only thing I am missing is the earring wires (the part that goes in your pierced ear)). I had planned to incorporate the toy soldiers into my CIJ swap ornament but the timing just didn't work out and I have all these beads. If you Google toy soldier earrings, you can see what they will look like. I would be happy to mail them (domestic or international as it's just a flat padded envelope) to anyone who will make good use of them.

Pamela, I would love the beads if you are happy to send them here to Australia. I could make the earrings for my DrillDance team.

Reactions: Lana and PamelaG

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Finally finished the pink hearts yesterday. Do not know why it took me so long to finish them.
Really pleased with how they turned out. Now to get a few more things done.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Pamela, I would love the beads if you are happy to send them here to Australia. I could make the earrings for my DrillDance team.
I'll package them up and get them off to you. Can you get the earring wires easily?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I'll package them up and get them off to you. Can you get the earring wires easily?
Thank you very much. Yes, I believe that I can get the wires.

Reactions: PamelaG

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Good morning, all!

Finished 3 ornaments!

Felt Apple Ornament (teacher gift):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48379722206/in/dateposted-public/

Felt Dachshund Ornament (for DSis):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48379722346/in/dateposted-public/

Felt Unicorn Ornament (for friend's little girl):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48379864922/in/dateposted-public/

Started cutting out pattern for Magic School Bus ornament - will work on that more this weekend - it's a more complex one unless I can figure out a way to simplify.

Still working on embroidery hoop wall hanging - need to cut out stormtrooper ornament pattern - and continue work on small felt flowers for clothespin magnets project.

Next up will be a return to sunglasses cases made from felt and fabric - wanted to make 7 of those!

And then I'm hoping to order some plain canvas reusable shopping bags to embellish with embroidery (set of 4) and a couple more with iron on vinyl for teacher gifts.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ ~ All your ornaments are so unique and wonderful! Do you hand cut all the shapes?

Basket weaving class was great yesterday. Each basket that was made in the class turned out very different, even though we were all following the same instructions.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Basket weaving would be a fun thing to learn!!! Would give me something to do with all the grapevine we pull out of our yard!!! LOL

Thank you for the kind words on the ornaments! Yes, I do handcut the pieces - I cut pattern from an image I've printed or sometimes I'll use Cricut to cut simple shapes out of cardstock and trace around them. I've done it so long I'm just used to it now :)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Your ornaments are all so gorgeous. You are a true artist!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Cleaning out my storage room and found a whole bin of odds and ends of yarn, all different weights -mostly dk, sport, and worsted. I need to think of something to use it up.

FS ~ Are the names on the stockings knit into the pattern? If so, you could just knit it plain without a name and then hand-embroidery her name onto it in a smaller "font". There's a product called "memory thread" that you might be able to use to shape the letters first and then just tack them down to the stocking.

Yes, they're knit in, and the pattern only allows a name with up to six letters. I'll have to look into memory thread. That might work.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, the unicorn ornament is gorgeous. You do lovely work.
Finished the fabric covered journal for my mum yesterday and started some embroidery designs that I will frame.
The to do tote is getting less and less in it!!!!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
AJ - just now had a chance to look at your photos - what beautiful ornaments!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
FS ~ The last few felt stocking kits I've made had a separate tag hanging from it with the name. I guess it's easier to change the name on the stocking if it's made that way. I don't know if this would be an attractive option for you. In any event, I'd get crackin' on knitting the stocking and figure out the name later.