Crafters Challenge July 26th---August 1st, 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Well, in a few days Christmas In July will be over! Hard to imagine it will be August!

Lots of progress again last week! So proud of you all!

I received an item in the mail earlier in the week that I hope to use in something I want to try for friends/family.

Not sure what will happen this week in the crafting section at my house, if any.

What is on your agendas for the week?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Continue with the 2 projects that I have running at the moment. Would like to finish the baby cardigan by the end of the week but I am not sure if that will happen. I need to spray paint some beads to make snowmen so will try and get that done this weekend coming.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Same stuff I’ve been working on here. Trying to find some time to get together with my cousin to make some ornaments. Tuesday off to Amish country I hope to get the fabric for my husbands quilt. Time is flying by!

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
You guys are so busy! I have tried to sneak in some crafting and Christmas movies around here. For some reason it's been more challenging than usual. I feel like I've been running all week! I did assemble a few more hearts, picked up some crafting supplies, cut out squares for the match game sets I want to make the babies, and got a little knitting done. I also got a little mending done, too, so that counts, right?

My hope is to sew up some bags and covers for rice warmers, make a pattern and start on some covered hangers for Mom, start assembling the match games, and perhaps make a few more ornaments. And, of course, I need to keep knitting on the throws. I don't know why that seems such a chore to me- they're very basic and easy, I'm just not feeling it right now. Maybe when it cools off.

We'll see how much I actually tackle. The trench was dug successfully, more or less, so this coming week when my husband is home, we'll start assembling the pipe and digging it in. I just keep telling myself how nice it will be to not have to haul water for our critters.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
You guys are so busy! I have tried to sneak in some crafting and Christmas movies around here. For some reason it's been more challenging than usual. I feel like I've been running all week! I did assemble a few more hearts, picked up some crafting supplies, cut out squares for the match game sets I want to make the babies, and got a little knitting done. I also got a little mending done, too, so that counts, right?

My hope is to sew up some bags and covers for rice warmers, make a pattern and start on some covered hangers for Mom, start assembling the match games, and perhaps make a few more ornaments. And, of course, I need to keep knitting on the throws. I don't know why that seems such a chore to me- they're very basic and easy, I'm just not feeling it right now. Maybe when it cools off.

We'll see how much I actually tackle. The trench was dug successfully, more or less, so this coming week when my husband is home, we'll start assembling the pipe and digging it in. I just keep telling myself how nice it will be to not have to haul water for our critters.

I think your water project needs to count as crafting!!! There is a lot of creativity that goes into projects like that. :)

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
(

When we laid new pipe for our outside water, we put two pipes in the trench. Capped one of them so it the other broke we could just hook up to the unused pipe without digging up the trench. But we live where there are cold winters and the ground can freeze really deep.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Had a busy CIJ crafting weekend! :)

Made a batch of salt dough...some will be ornaments and all the star shapes will be strung together into a garland:

https://flic.kr/p/2jqpEkm
Also used polymer clay to make this little snowman ornament - the bottom part is a thumbprint from DS - I'll write the date on the back:

https://flic.kr/p/2jqkB7B
Spent a lot of time working on Mrs. Claus ornaments - making good progress on the final two I started! Will work on those this week and if possible I will jump into creating a round of funny Christmas gift tags I've designed in the Cricut software!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I had wanted to take pictures of the Valentine and St. Patrick's day placemats and table toppers this week, but we are having new flooring put down, so the dining room table needs to be moved out, and I won't have a chance to take the pictures first. That will have to wait.

So I will be working on CCS (birth record and some motifs for ornaments), as well as some knit dish cloths. Homemade4me, I see you are working on dish cloths, too. I won't make jar openers though. Maybe you can show us yours. I am still knitting a shawl and received yarn I want to try for an afghan. It really doesn't look like enough yarn though. I did weigh the afghan I have and ordered the same amount of yarn. We'll see.

My studio is empty now, and I mean EMPTY. It's getting new flooring also. It felt like kind of an overwhelming task to get it all moved out, but thankfully, most of it was already corralled into plastic storage containers. A couple of larger items (storage cabinets, large bookshelf and sewing table) will be left there, and the flooring people will just move them around as they go.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Home from Amish country. I went to 4 of the 6 shops I usually hit. I was getting tired and ready to come home. I think I got all the fabric for my husbands quilt. Western theme or a look that I like is pretty hard to come by here. In general fabric selection is pretty sparse overall. Miller’s was putting out their Christmas fabric. It looked like they had tons of that which surprised me given how little of everything else they had. I was good! I did buy a few patterns but no Christmas fabric! Couldn’t find the purse hardware I need or the strapping. I need to make a trip to Joann’s soon. Might see if my husband will take me Friday on our date.

Reactions: Lana

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
MM, up around Arthur Illinois there is a fabric store in Amish country caller MIllers Dry Goods----I think. Was only there once and LOVED it. Would love to go back. A couple hours north of me. Maybe 2 1/2.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have been spending my days sewing. I have 4 of six kits done and just figured out how to do hinge another items I am making for dgd(7). I just hope I can get my children to cooperate and send me pictures of themselves. Fingers crossed. I will post a picture of the items later this week.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I want to make a set of embroidered dish towels for my sisters. I bought some dish towels online, but they're so flimsy. It's awful. Do any of you have a suggestion of where you've found good ones for embroidering on?

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
I want to make a set of embroidered dish towels for my sisters. I bought some dish towels online, but they're so flimsy. It's awful. Do any of you have a suggestion of where you've found good ones for embroidering on?
If you can sew fabric stores carry dish towel fabric. You just have to finish the edges. Mary Maxim sells tea towels for embroidery and fabric painting in two sizes. They have both a US and Canadian.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio

I bought towels from Joann’s maybe 2 years ago. They were I think Aunt Martha’s brand. They were pretty good quality. Not excellent but not bad either.

Most of the quilt shops here sell toweling like Rose mentioned. I think off the bolt you get a better quality and they are not cut wonky. I think you get a better selection of patterns too.