Crafters Challenge July 7th-13th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Welcome Crafters!!!!

That was a very cute pattern that Katrina shared. Anxious to see what you do with it.

I need to get some fleece to try a pattern that I am thinking of doing for the 12 Days of Christmas Swamp.

What are you working on this week?

Have fun crafting!

Working on list for any Christmas gifts you would like to make?

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I know I should say I should kitchener stitch all the toes of the socks I found closed, but I know I won't do that in this heat. I have no motivation to be practical.

I think I'll try to cast on fingerless gloves for DH with my old pattern.

I also found styrofoam balls. I've been meaning to try to make those quilted looking ornaments where you put the pins in fabric....I think I'll try one with some scrap fabric, and if it works well, I'll get some Christmasy prints from the fabric store.

I also bought a bunch of Bernat Satin in bublegum pink for $1/ball. I'd like to find a project to make for DD6 for Christmas. I have enough balls to make a sweater. I'm hoping to find a pattern that is really girly or "princessy"....something with a ruffle on it or something. I found a really nice cable sweater pattern, but it was for sport weight.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I will be working on my pillowcase lace. Since I started on the correct side, things are going smoothly. It is quite wide - I have a long way to go.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Lana -I found the pattern online, but for some reason the standard size styrofoam ball in Canada (7.2 cm) seems to be different than the standard size of 3 inches that they list in all the patterns. It works out to 2.83 inches....I'm not sure how much this will throw off the measurements for the fabric. It makes no sense to me why they'd not be the same.

There is a provincial tartan here. If I get good at making them I'd like to make ornaments with the provincial tartan and gold ribbon for when we eventually move and have to spend Christmas elsewhere.

If you can find Styrofoam eggs, they work up really cute for Easter too!
I never would have thought of that! That would be cute! I've always wanted to do an Easter tree!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Frosty, I’ve run into that too. I’m wondering if the pattern was created for 3 inches because that’s easier than creating it for something that is 2.83 inches. (why would they create a ball 2.83 inches is beyond me, You would think they would make it even amount). I think you should be able to ease in that 0.17 of an inch without too much trouble around the diameter of the ball.
Some house work for me today. My hip is bothering me today so I’m poking along with things.
I’ll check out another quilt shop later in the week for my backing and sew up my jacket. I want to practice some quilting patterns too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
There is a provincial tartan here. If I get good at making them I'd like to make ornaments with the provincial tartan and gold ribbon for when we eventually move and have to spend Christmas elsewhere.
What a great idea. Hope that you can work out the pattern.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Once family leaves (final flight is Wednesday morning), I have a couple of crafting events to go to (Wednesday and Thursday), then back to my usual. I want to make at least a couple more tissue box covers. One is for a gift, and one is for me. Lots of other ideas, of course, including cross stitch. I just ordered a cross stitch chart to use for a birth record for Valentin. I have fabric and ideas to make him a growth chart, too. So many ideas!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Greetings all!!!

Finished the felt Hei Hei softie last night!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48231460602/in/dateposted-public/

Still have a tiny left to do on doodle mermaid felt ornament - hoping to finish tonight!

Then I'll be moving on to two swan felt ornaments and one unicorn felt ornament! The kits are ready and waiting!

Hoping to get time later this week to prep more kits so I can keep knocking these ornaments off my to do list!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Welcome Crafters!!!!

That was a very cute pattern that Katrina shared. Anxious to see what you do with it.

I need to get some fleece to try a pattern that I am thinking of doing for the 12 Days of Christmas Swamp.

What are you working on this week?

Have fun crafting!

Working on list for any Christmas gifts you would like to make?
What is the 12 Days of Christmas Swap?

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
It is on another thread that I have been a member of since early 2000 or late 90's. Use to be HGTV Forum and then went to another name. You make 12 gifts same or different mail to 1 lady along with the postage and she gets them back out by early December and we open one gift a day ending on 24th. Mostly sewn items but can be anything. Has been some jewelry, table runners, quilted wall hangings, crocheted scarfs etc..

Reactions: PamelaG and luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
OM Goodness I love Hei Hei. Great work as usual AJ.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thanks guys! :)

I got a few more things done!

The mermaid ornament:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48266470747/in/dateposted-public/

Two felt swan ornaments:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/48266476632/in/dateposted-public/

Also got about half way done on two simple mini embroidery hoop ornaments

Cut pieces for 2 simple circle/star design felt ornaments

Cut pieces for a simple circle/holly leaves design felt ornament

Made a small start on making mini felt flowers for hot gluing on extra fat clothespins - and adding magnets to back - 3 clothespins completely done - several to go!!!

Hot glued felt orange slices (just the fronts) - need to cut back pieces and side pieces and sew them up

I still have a few more ornaments to tackle after this wave but I'll be in the home stretch!!! Still a lot left on my to do list for Christmas 2019 but I want to keep pushing hard :)

Reactions: luludou

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Aunt Jamelle - I love that HeiHei you made! DD2 is obsessed with Moana. I'm going to have to see if I can convince my mother to make one for her for Christmas.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ ~ More lovely ornaments! Way to check things off!