Crafters Challenge March 14th~~21st

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
****o!

Looks like several have had progress.

I was digging thru material last night~~why I was doing this when I have a list of things I know that I would like to do~~~and I decided to do a checkbook cover that I saw on a blog Friday night. Picture on my blog. I used batting between the layers. My stitches are slightly off aliittle when back stitching. Why a checkbook cover??? I dunno. Wanted to make something and knew it would be FAST so..

I do take stuff and work on at my lunch. It does really help.

My 2 nieces and nephew are starting to help in the kitchen some so I am thinking of aprons for them.

Found the quilt I would like to do so that was why I actually had the material out.

My vanilla is really turning so I need to keep shaking it.

I love hearing what you all are working on and your progress!!!!

Wish we had a central place to meet and could do working night or week-end. What fun we would all have with each other!

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Good going, Lana! Knowing what you want to create is so important to being successful. Goals and plans make all the difference. Now you can break those goals into parts and start making headway; soon you will have some more items completed. For me the initial start is the hardest. Once plans are made and materials readied I find an increasing desire to work on projects even if only for a few minutes.

I popped onto your blog and saw that cute checkbook cover. Those would make appreciated Christmas gifts, much more durable and attractive than the vinyl ones. Making that so quickly certainly energized you to move forward. Big baby step for sure!

Have a wonderful week!

Charlotte

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Most of my days this week will be at home allowing for much more time than the last couple weeks did. I need to finish my blouse by making and setting the sleeves, making buttonholes and hemming it. Then all that will be left is the follow-up handwork. For the baby group I want to embroider four of the remaining six quilt squares, prepare another preemie sleeper plus finish machine sewing 6 pairs of booties and if time permits stitch in place one edge of trim on a bib. Except for the booties this will only be machine sewing not the final handwork.

Looking ahead to Christmas I will continue making the remote covers my husband requested. I really want to complete that project this month. Also I have one more fleece stocking cuff to embroider with my second son's name.

What are the rest of you planning for the days ahead?
Hope you all have a productive week!

Charlotte

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Lana good work on that checkbook cover. I think this week will be looking up crafts - my hands hurt too much to start something new... maybe next week!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Hi everybody, I was able to get my toss pillow covers made over the weekend so this week I'm going to get my sewing tote bag cut out. I also have vanilla "working" and I need to find bottles this week. I can go to Michaels on my lunch hour and hopefully find some. If they don't have anything maybe World Market will have some. So those are the goals this week, my sewing tote and bottling my vanilla.
Happy crafting everyone!

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I just started learning how to knit. I'm making a very simple scarf. Well, simple to others, not so easy to me yet. Just the basic knit stitch. I've already pulled it out and started over twice. So, hopefully by the end of this week or next, I will have completed my first scarf.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Carol, good for you~~learning to knit. I do not know how to do that. Teachermomof2 and MrsSoup learned last yr.. In no time you will have a completed project and will be able to move on to more for gifts for Christmas!!!

I admire you for learning to knit!

Snickerdoodle and all can you post pictures? I am thinking of taking my vanilla to work today. Started it on 1-17 and I shake it. We were talking yesterday about it.

I would LOVE to see everybodys projects!!!!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I finally just ordered bottles for the vanilla online. I looked at Micheals and the only ones they had were plastic ones by the soap and candle making supplies. The label didn't say they were food safe so I was afraid to buy them. As soon as I get them I can bottle up the vanilla. In the mean time I need to decide on labels. I'll post pictures of my pillows tomorrow since I'm off on Fridays. YAY!! Thanks for asking!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Yes, this is my first time making my own vanilla thanks to the great ideas here! I'm using vodka also. Right now it smells really good and like it's "baking ready". I tracked my bottles on line and I should get them next Tues. I ordered 16 glass bottles that are 8oz. and the cost of shipping is about the same as the cost of the bottles! I also received a "starter" fof "Amish Friendship Bread" from my daughter and it's ready to bake today. When I received the starter I had to just stir it for the first 5 days, then on the 6th day I added a cup of sugar, a cup of flour and a cup of milk. Then 5 more days of just stirring. Now today I combine it with the other ingredients to make a cake. This is my second time doing this. My husband loves the cake and has eaten every bit of it. I wish I knew how to make the actual starter. It smells really yeasty but I think it must be the combination of ingredients. Has anyone else made these before?

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Thank you so much for the recipe. I didn't know that you could freeze the starter. Becase my husband loves it so much I thought I would have to keep this going forever or else never make it again! I sure appreciate the info LL!

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
I did not quite complete my crafting/sewing list for the week. It was too nice to stay inside most days so sewing took a bit of second place to yard and garden work.

1. finish my blouse
I think this would have been completed except there is need to make an
adjustment on the tie/collar before making the buttonholes.

2. baby items
four embroidered quilt squares completed
all six booties completed
sleeper ready for edging to be sewn in place
instead of a bib I added the edging for a burp cloth so a trade-off there

3. Christmas
one more plastic canvas remote cover finished and another one started
name embroidered on final fleece stocking cuff

Considering the circumstances, I'm pleased with the week's work.

Charlotte

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Charlotte, that is quite a lot done for the week!

Snickerdoodle, I took my vanilla to work on Tuesday. I used vodka and my co-worker is going to try some with brandy. I have used Vodka both years I made it.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Lana, I bet your vanilla was very well received! I will be interested to hear how it turns out with brandy. I posted some pictures of my throw pillows. It was a pretty simple project but it made a nice change in the room.