Crafters Challenge March 22nd-28th, 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Hello!

If you ever come to this site on Sunday and it is not started feel free to start it!

Seems people were busy last week.

I have 2 baby girls that are coming due in May and June and I need to sew. Same ole same ole. No room--kitchen table is even in use for other reasons now.

What will you all be working on this week?

Happy Crafting!!!!

DD, hope the arm is coming along okay.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks, Lana. The arm is so fine that I can easily be negligent about keeping it in the confining sling. I'm past the mid-way point. Three weeks to go, and then I'm not sure if I will be able to get the PT or not with businesses closing, etc. PT could be fairly close contact if they need to do massage therapy which is where I predict they will want to start to break up scar tissue.

In any event, I did do some rotary cutting yesterday without my arm in the sling. It went fine as far as the arm goes, but I didn't have enough of a couple of fabrics that I need for the reversible placemats. So I really want to go out in search of fabrics. Will see about doing that tomorrow.

I have a coupon that I want to use at the local sewing machine shop, so I might give them a call. They were offering curb-side pickup last I heard.

Otherwise, I'm also managing to do a bit of knitting in the evenings when I can sit safely without the sling on.

Hope everyone finds some stress relieve with crafting this week!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm trying to come up with homemade bday presents for DD6 still. I found a pattern for a knit mermaid that might work. Maybe some doll clothes or Barbie clothes. I'm having a hard time finding the time. Lots of my friends are saying how bored they are, but the kids are keeping me busy so I"m not really getting any extra craft time. Knitting is my only real craft though I can do a little crochet if it's easy. Unfortunatley, hats, mitts, and sweaters, aren't ideal for a Spring birthday!

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
This week:--simply reposting my list as I really didn't get anything done on it last week. Hopefully this week will be better.
Sewing:
()my top
()cut out a quilt top
()cut out a dress
()baby bandannas

Knitting
(x)sleeves for baby sweater
()hood of baby sweater
()button/buttonhole bands
()sew sweater together
() work on some knitting for me

Easter:
()cards
()bag toppers
()some bunny containers

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Finished quilting my tree skirt and have it all trimmed. Tomorrow I’ll make the binding and finish. Then I need to do some house cleaning.

I have all the fabric for the quilts washed. I’m not totally happy with some of my choices. Will try to order a few things online.

Have a good week every one!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Can you make her crafting kits?

I don't think so.....I don't have a lot in the way of art supplies other than what's already in their craft area. Nothing hidden away for a change as I had just restocked their supplies. I have about two bins of odd balls of yarn and a small bin of remnants I bought over the years as I always meant to use them for practice. I also have a bag of stuffing and some odd ribbons and buttons. I was trying to think if I could maybe sew a little doll or maybe some little dress up type things for her. I'm really bad at sewing.

Reactions: Lana

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I don't think so.....I don't have a lot in the way of art supplies other than what's already in their craft area. Nothing hidden away for a change as I had just restocked their supplies. I have about two bins of odd balls of yarn and a small bin of remnants I bought over the years as I always meant to use them for practice. I also have a bag of stuffing and some odd ribbons and buttons. I was trying to think if I could maybe sew a little doll or maybe some little dress up type things for her. I'm really bad at sewing.

Frosty, I have 2 links below. Don’t know if they would help or not.

http://www.bornimaginative.com/2013/08/pillowcase-doll-upcycled.html?m=1

http://www.restlessrisa.com/2014/07/rag-doll-no-sewing-required.html

Reactions: Miss JoDee and Lana

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Wasn't thinking of sewing or yarn but more like something with clothes pin craft, origami (just paper and instructions written out) , maybe some type of science experiment with items in the house (like baking soda and vinegar for a volcano). Maybe melted old crayons and old candles that could be melted down to make a new one candle. Painting a jar. Even a kit to make cookies. Buttons can be made into a Christmas tree. Buttons and ribbons can be made into bracelets or head bands. Learning to frost a cake or to make frosting roses. Egg carton crafts. Poured acyclic art is fun but messy.

There is a project called garbage art which I took a class in the Middle Ages. We took cereal boxes cut them into shapes. I did strawberries. First you cut out the general shape of a strawberry. Than cut half a strawberry, then just a sliver. Glue then one on top of another on a square piece of cardboard. give it a 3-D look. Do the leaves the same way. Once dry you paint it. One lady used a teddy bear outline from her daughters coloring book. It turned out really cute. Sponge painting kit. You can use items you already have to make the kits. Old t-shirts that she could paint. An old t-shirt can be made into a scarf (very easy and is very cute). Broken toys glued on to a round wreath. Put together a kit for her to make play dough. Or items to make salt ornaments. Home made lava lamp (vegetable oil, antacid, food coloring and a jar).

Friendship bracelet

Reactions: Lana

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You could make her some paper dolls with her face on them.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I also found a pattern for a knit doll I think she'd like, but it's knit in fingering and some counts are done by number of rows while others are done by measuring, so I might have a hard time making it come out in the right proportions. There is also a pattern on Yarnspirations for a reversible knit doll you can flip the skirt up on to change it to another doll.

That made me think of a good Christmas gift this year. I think I'll make those little knit toilet paper covers that look like a dress with the doll int he middle. My grandmother had one in each of her bathrooms growing up. I'll get cheap dollarstore dolls to put in them and include the roll of toilet paper. I think I'll put some kind of fancy tag on it indicating it is a collectible or very valuable and hard to find or something like that. Assuming of course that by Christmas we are not all gathering leaves from our backyard because toilet paper is now a luxury for only the super rich :p

Ahorsesoul- Thanks for all the ideas! The cookie mix might be an idea. I have a lot of glass bottles around. I think she could do the friendship bracelets with yarn....seems to me that's what I made them out of as a kid because my Mom wouldn't buy embroidery thread. When you mentioned frosting cakes and making roses I remembered I bought a kit for making fondant flowers years ago....still sealed. I think I'll look up how to make fondant. That or I could give it to her with some playdough to practice. I'm kind of stuck with what's in my house as our craft store is closed and doesn't deliver. We have Walmart but it's packed and we've been told only one person can go in and not to bring your kids. If I ordered from Walmart online it wouldn't get here on time.

Myron's Mom - Thank you for the links. I might be able to do the top one. We're going to start reading Little House on the Prairie today....I'm thinking the second might be a great tie-in craft project for the girls to do .:)

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I love the brainstorming. I'll add my 2 cents ... How about home-made gift certificates for things she likes to do with you when you're able to be out-and-about again? Trip to the mall/movie/aquarium/zoo; Picnic; cookie baking, etc.

Reactions: Lana and Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I don’t know if you have heard but hospitals are asking for people to make face masks for them. I’m trying to post the links that I have from Akron SUMMA hospital. They are using the Turban Project masks. I know that Cleveland clinic is asking for a different style than this so I would check with you institution. We can make either the elastic version or the tie version ( like dr Kildare or Marcus welby) here. Some places are using them as single use or there plan to wash and sterilize for reuse. Apparently elastic is in short supply right now.

https://courierpressblogs.com/pdf/howtomakeafacemask.pdf

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/6d5955d7-ca75-4486-86d6-ccd808cf0870/downloads/ADULT FACE MASK.pdf?ver=1584884118579

https://sweetredpoppy.com/how-to-sew-a-bias-tape-surgical-face-mask-with-flexible-nose/

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
To add to my above post I have heard that Joann fabric has kits you can pick up to make masks which includes elastic. You can have as many as you want and they will deliver to your car so I’ve been told. I haven’t seen a official post from them though.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MM, what a great idea. Will show mum this.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I love the brainstorming. I'll add my 2 cents ... How about home-made gift certificates for things she likes to do with you when you're able to be out-and-about again? Trip to the mall/movie/aquarium/zoo; Picnic; cookie baking, etc.

Thank you. That's anothe good idea. Maybe a gift certificate for a trip to the beauty store with a crisp $10 inside to spend when she gets there. Money burns a hole in her pocket, but it's not like she's going anywhere in the meantime :)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I don’t know if you have heard but hospitals are asking for people to make face masks for them. I’m trying to post the links that I have from Akron SUMMA hospital. They are using the Turban Project masks. I know that Cleveland clinic is asking for a different style than this so I would check with you institution. We can make either the elastic version or the tie version ( like dr Kildare or Marcus welby) here. Some places are using them as single use or there plan to wash and sterilize for reuse. Apparently elastic is in short supply right now.

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/6d5955d7-ca75-4486-86d6-ccd808cf0870/downloads/ADULT FACE MASK.pdf?ver=1584884118579

https://sweetredpoppy.com/how-to-sew-a-bias-tape-surgical-face-mask-with-flexible-nose/

I saw that. I gather they aren't as good as having the real thing, but some healthcare workers are trying to make due with scarves. A great way for those who can sew to help out :)