Crafters Challenge May 17th---May 23rd, 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
May is getting to be halfover!!!!

I have about 21 ear savers to sew the buttons onto yet. Crocheted buttons.

Need to finish one small thing on the CIJ ornaments.

Would like to sew some wash rags and burp rags but will see if I find my flannel.

What do you have planned for this week.

Somebody told me that Hobby Lobby was opened but not sure.

HAPPY CRAFTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This week I want to write a list of what I am going to do next. I would like to start a project that I can just pick up and not have to think about too much. Knitting of some sort. Need to look at fabric for kitchen boas.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lana, our hobby lobby’s in Ohio are open. They are supposed to be limiting the number of customers but I didn’t see that happing where I was. It was packed. Easter was 80% off and they had their entire stock of it. I went in looking for Christmas but none was out yet.

I will be working on my quilts. I fixed the one block, much happier now. Cut 160 2.5 square blocks and 112 3.5 square blocks yesterday. Will finish cutting 112 more of the 3.5 today and maybe start sewing. I need to get busy if I want these tops done by June 1st.

I want to get started on the purse and wallet set. I found a new and better way to to do the zipper pockets that decreases the bulk. I’m very anxious to try it! Also found some other wallet sewing tips. I love you tube!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to this week!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Myron's Mom ~ Care to share your new-found zipper and wallet techniques?

We are at the lake for a couple more days. The weather will be cooler, so I may enjoy more sewing inside today. Will work on the placemats, getting them sandwiched and quilted. I had to borrow a cutting ruler, so it needs to be on my list to bring one over to leave here. I thought I had one.

I'll also be working on borders on the CCS cats.

Once home, it will open up possibilities for all the other projects on my list.

Our Hobby Lobby and Ben Franklin are still closed. I'm grateful for my stash these days!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Greetings!

Myron's Mom ~ Care to share your new-found zipper and wallet techniques?

We are at the lake for a couple more days. The weather will be cooler, so I may enjoy more sewing inside today. Will work on the placemats, getting them sandwiched and quilted. I had to borrow a cutting ruler, so it needs to be on my list to bring one over to leave here. I thought I had one.

I'll also be working on borders on the CCS cats.

Once home, it will open up possibilities for all the other projects on my list.

Our Hobby Lobby and Ben Franklin are still closed. I'm grateful for my stash these days!

Here are those videos:

https://sewsweetness.com/2020/01/video-how-to-make-your-zipper-tabs-look-nice.html
The other one I had I can’t get the link to work. I will keep trying to get it up here.
https://sewsweetness.com/2020/01/video-how-to-make-your-zipper-tabs-look-nice.html
There is also the 5 part video by Kittenish Behavior. This is how I learned to make the Necessary Clutch Wallet. Easy to follow. I’m having issues posting that link but I’ll get it up for you.

Still working on my quilts here. Tomorrow will pick up my Destiny at the shop and drop off my Soprano for a cleaning and service. Want to stop at Joann’s to see if I can get a couple of bolts of stabilizer since they will be 60% off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks Myron's Mom! Great zipper tutorial and cute wallet!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Back from my morning outing. Picked up the one sewing machine and dropped off the other for cleaning and service.

Waited in line at Joann’s for them to open. 35 people in the store at one time. They have someone stationed at the door directing traffic. I was good only got the things on my list. I got the bolts of stabilizer I wanted. They were picked pretty clean from the sale last week. Was going to stop at michaels but I just wanted to come home.

Going to spend the rest of the day ironing 1/4 square triangles

Reactions: Lana and Ahorsesoul

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hello crafting friends!!! Sorry I haven't posted lately! But I have been crafting!!!

Only way to stave off boredom!!! lol

I'm about halfway into the second recipe binder project!

I've also started on etching the glasses I purchased - I've done 10 so far with stencils cut for 8 more.

I bought 36 glasses total - great markdown on sets at Menards last year - so plan to do all of them - sets of 4 or 2 in different themes...

I'm having a lot of fun with the designs...have done a Harry Potter theme, Disney theme, etc. I plan to etch some glass pans for gifts too. And will probably etch some of my own - it's too fun!!!

Here is my attempt at a pic of a couple of the glasses:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/49922889681/in/dateposted-public/

It's hard to get the etched designs to show up so I put the towel behind them :rolleyes:

Next up I am getting ready to start a pretty complex felt ornament project - Mrs Claus!!! - one I bought the pattern kit for - and to make things more interesting I am going to attempt to cut the felt pieces with my Cricut.

I've read that if you stabilize the felt with something like Heat and Bond you can get it to work. My model isn't really the best at cutting fabric or felt but I am going to give it a try. If not I'll do it the way I always have!

I'm also planning to get started on some iron on vinyl projects too - have reusable shopping bags, small canvas zipper totes, etc. waiting to be adorned!!!

JoAnn's has been having crazy good sales on Cricut supplies lately and I've been using their curbside pickup service!!! :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Myron’s Mom ~ You must have a much larger Joanns than we do or different requirements. They would only let 11 in at a time at my local Joanns. They needed to count staff in the number of people in the store at one time.

AJ ~ Your glass etching is beautiful! I have done glass etching before, but not for years. You must use your Cricut to cut your stencils. Are they sticky on the back? I had to use what I could purchase at the time. I think that was long before the cutting machines were being sold. How would it work for pictures if you put colored liquid in the glasses? They will certainly be beautiful gifts! You’re making me contemplate a Cricut purchase!

Kathy and I had a very successful visit to Joanns yesterday and discovered we could have gone in earlier, at 10, being over 65 and in a higher risk category. In any event, we both found what we were looking for and were very pleased!

Once home, I finished all the Valentine ornaments that seem to have been on my list for ages and started the machine embroidery stitching on the shamrock ornaments.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
20200523_110130952_iOS.jpg This past week, I worked on some cat nip toys for a friend. I'm trying a crochet sock. I finished the third C2C blanket square. My SIL would like a dachshund face mask ... so I looked at some pics and drew out an idea. I finished a paw print scarf. It was started with stash yarn and it only went so far ... so I think it's gonna be a child size. I edged it in a different color. I like it.

20200521_234125706_iOS.jpg 20200522_235930000_iOS.jpg 20200521_201139271_iOS.jpg

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
jampss ~ Very nice work. What a pretty yarn bowl!

The Valentine placemats are all sandwiched with backing and ready to be quilted. I also have all the pieces cut (batting and backing) for sandwiching the shamrock placemats which I will do today. I've found that it works well to start my embroidery machine stitching up the shamrock ornaments and I can keep an eye/ear on it while I do some of my PT exercises.

Reactions: jampss and Lana

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
While going through stuff in my bedroom I found all my Sculpey oven bake clay supplies...even a project book and a large box of unopened clay. None of it has ever been used - since dh gave it to me back in the 90's. (The clay still feels malleable.) I showed it to dd and she thinks it looks like a good family project. Great! I can put it with her craft supplies and get it out of my bedroom.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
AJ, the glasses are pretty! I’ve never done anything like that.

jampss, love the paw print scarf. My cats would have loved the toys. Can’t wait to see the finished mask.

Dahlia, I went to the store at Joann’s headquarters, it’s pretty good size compared to most around here. If you are ever in the Columbus Ohio area they have a giant store across the street from Polaris Mall. It can be over whelming in there.

My blocks are pressed and trimmed. Tomorrow I start sewing again.
Have a safe weekend everyone.

Reactions: jampss and Lana

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Going to cut out some felt mittens today and start on those. Not a gift for anyone in particular I just feel like starting them. Found lots of spray paint at DH fathers place yesterday, I have bought that home and will use it at some point with future projects.