Crafter's Challenge May 29th----June 4th, 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My plan is to continue doing the hand sewing project I have going and to try making a soup bowl cozy from the video GrammaDeb posted in May Rudolph Day.
I also have 2-4 more stockings to make and start kitting the dgds Christmas count down. Will see how I do this week. I have set my goal. I work better with a goal in mind.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Amelia ~ Another masterpiece!

I finished the shawl in the tropical colors while we were visiting DSisIL over the weekend. She loved it, so I gave it to her. Then two of my nieces saw it and loved it, too. I've ordered more yarn!

I've currently got an afghan for myself on the needles. It will take a long time to knit, but I can easily set it aside for other projects, as necessary.

Since DD's family is coming on Thursday, I need to do some serious craftermath control. I might be able to do a little CCS in the evenings.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I walked into my craft room yesterday and shook my head. It is an organized mess. My attempt to make it work better is a failure. I hung shelves on the wall and a table for sewing and crafting put things by category into plastic shoe boxes and it still looks messy. I think I will pull everything out and be brutally honest with myself and get rid of more. I am sure there are things I won't use. I have Christmas crafting items that I never get to and just too much. I gave some items away a while ago and have wished them back but if I am not happy in the space it won't happen anyway so might just as well minimize. My organize style is open bins where I can easily access what I need but I have bins with lids because I have to stack them. If I can pare down and broaden my categories I may be able to get away with not stacking. I will set "extra" in storage for 6 months and if I don't use it I will get rid of it. Things need to change or that room will not be used. Might as well get started.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
It is an organized mess.
Jody - I'm in the same place. I'm trying out several crafts so I can determine what I am good at and what I am not. Then the equipment for the "nots" can go.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I feel your pain. I was there. In 2019, when DD30 and I did the KonMari decluttering of the house ... my craft area was one big mess. So, I was 'brutally' honest about what I really really ... really ... wanted to do for crafts. I decided I loved my crocheting and coloring books. The rest ... I donated to the Hospice Thrift store as they always have a nice used (but nice) craft supply area. I know someone else will 'love' the items instead of them sitting forever on my shelves and I never get to them.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Thank you ladies! The block pattern I found on line. I want to say either Jordan or shabby fabrics website. I’m glad I finished when I did as we are having electrical issues here, so no sewing for me. I have some hand projects to work on for now. If I want to do any fabric cutting it will have to be in the kitchen. Me and a rotary cutter in sudden darkness would be a disaster!

Jody- you did not a fail! I think getting our spaces organized is a process and sometimes a long one! My room has gone through several revisions since my husband did some “remodeling” for me 2 years ago. It still needs work.
I think decluttering can be tough especially these days. I know I must be in the right mood to be successful. The problem more than ever now is what if I get rid of something I might need? With rising costs of items, availability and gas costs, I hate to get rid of something that I might need. On the other hand is it worth keeping it if I might not use it for several months or years if it clutters up my space. Decisions…….

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I always see those dream closet craft things on line and think that would be handy but then again not sure. You can have it designed how you want. They have a price tag on them but might be handy. If I ever get my room back..... I did have it organized pretty well but will definitely be looking at what is going back in......... SOMEDAY!!!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I hate to get rid of something that I might need. On the other hand is it worth keeping it if I might not use it for several months or years if it clutters up my space. Decisions…….
That is the question I am asking. Also, how long has this been here and not used. I am going to put it in a box and ask Ddil if she wants any of it for dgds I will let her choose how much she wants in her house. She is comig at the end of the month so it would sit her long.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
The 2nd day in the Craft yielded more out the door. I made it through all the supply boxes and cleaned up the 2 table in the room. I have more Christmas crafting items than I thought. I will think on them then let Dgds take what they want. From there it goes to the thrift store for a lucky crafter to make use of it. Once I go through my Christmas decorations I will have a better idea of what I want to do for decorating this year and know what I want to keep.

Only one thing left, and that is to go through all the fabric. My girlfriend said she would take it for quilting. If she changed her mind I will donate it to the quilting group at church. They go once a month to work with some refugee ladies and sew together.

The room had all the toys the dgds play with in it and decided to more them to an upstairs closet.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
This morning I went through the fabric and pared it down from 4 containers to 2, a Big win. I have more of a focus of where to go with the WIP and some quick won't take long UFO list. I am encouraged. I will go through it again as I finish up project and pass on the unused items I thought I might need.