Crafter's Challenge October 9th----October 15th, 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
October will be halfway gone!!!!!

Love the cardigan and poncho!!!

What will you be working on this week?

I have alittle more cleaning to do and then I have to finish cutting out items for the swap and get sewing. Not sure it will happen this week!

HAPPY HAPPY CRAFTING!!!!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have been neglectful and a bit busy. I am going to DD's this week to stay with her while her DH is gone on a trip so I am taking some to her house and she can help me put the ornament kits for Dgd's countdown to Christmas stockings. I came across a garland I would like to make so hopefully I will have time to that. after I am done at the corn maze. Lots to do to get ready for Christmas by November 25th. I think I have my gift shopping almost done. I need 1 or 2 more items.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I'm going to visit my DD this week, too. We might be working on a Halloween costume for my DGD. I've been knitting on an afghan, but it's too big to drag along on the airplane, so I'll find some smaller project to take. I will also decide on a CCS motif that I can work on there if I have an opportunity.

Before we leave, I could work on finishing up some Christmas cards and maybe some sweatshirt embellishments.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm working on a giant pumpkin.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
While I was Pug-sitting yesterday and today … I made fingerless mitts and an ear warmer. I think they will be someone’s Christmas present!

5EBF1393-17A4-4A34-BC06-71E748CD1D3F.jpeg

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Nice! Lucky someone.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Did some machine embroidery on a sweatshirt for myself yesterday. I'm not too pleased with the placement. That's what I seem to have the biggest problem with.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I started on a holiday plant basket at class on Saturday and need to make some headway on it. Once I get my bearings, it shouldn't take too long. That said, I'd like to make a second one of similar size and two smaller ones. And, I need to find a fuzzy-type yarn for the top cuff. The yarn it calls for is no longer made (recalled years ago, due to unraveling and a strangulation risk). Didn't know that until I'd already started the project.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Has anyone heard the rumor that hobby lobby is eliminating most to all of their fabric? Apparently they have a big fabric sale going on to clear that department to expand their seasonal decor. Wondering if I should go checkout their fabric.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Has anyone heard the rumor that hobby lobby is eliminating most to all of their fabric? Apparently they have a big fabric sale going on to clear that department to expand their seasonal decor. Wondering if I should go checkout their fabric.
I don't know about the fabric, but at our crochet class, I mentioned Hobby Lobby (and the $#!+*% selection of chunky yarn they had) and the instructor told us that all of the "big box" craft stores buy yarn only twice a year and the buyer purchases for all stores. They use a planogram for shelving the yarns and can tell at a glance (and verify electronically, via barcode check-out scans) what is selling and what is not. So, you're really not going to find a wide variety because they're buying in bulk and shelve everything uniform. It's not like colder climates get more wool and southern stores get more cotton. It's apparently all the same. She also commented that some of those stores either didn't purchase at all during Covid, or only purchased once, so what you see is what you will get until ordering and shipping times get back to normal. Their small yarn shop carries a wide variety of weights and kinds of yarn, so there was a little reminder about how they pay attention to what their customers are looking for and can order, with quick turn-around, if they don't have what you're looking for. She wasn't downplaying the big box stores, just educating us on how the industry tends to work. Not sure if the same is true for fabric, but if what she said about yarn carries over to cloth, there may be less to select from.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Hope it isn't true about HL. That is the closet place I have to go for fabric. JoAnns and Jackman's is about 50-55 minutes away. There is a dime store type place in Nashville where I work that has quilting fabrics but they are high. With our local high school sports card you buy you can save percentage off when you buy so much from the store so my card pays for itself when I buy fabric!

Lucie, great job on the painting. Saw it on the mantle in the picture.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I made myself these! My winter coat is green. :)

0C76BF9C-288B-4A56-946D-48A38E7DED0F.jpeg

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Reactions: Ahorsesoul