Crocheting vs Knitting

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Ok ladies.... I have tried crocheting and had been able to do a little but I found that my fingers hurt after a short period. I can type all day and not have any pain in my fingers so what am I doing wrong? Also what is easier crocheting or knitting? Trying to expand my skill sets here :)

Thanks

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I haven't crocheted in years, but knitting causes me some finger pain, as well. I tend to hold my yarn like a crocheter...habit, I guess....so I'm not sure if that's it. Are you tense, crocheting tightly?

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Use the crochet hooks with the wide soft handles on them. It' makes a huge difference. As mentioned before, loosen your grip because you are most likely making some very tight stitches. It's common when learning and I did the same thing. I prefer crocheting but love the look of knitting for some things, if that makes any sense. Keep at it and you will find your favorite.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I think the pain in your hands would lessen doing either crochet or knitting after you have more experience. I used to get pain in my hands from knitting when I was new to it, and now it doesn't bother me at all. However, I've recently started crocheting, and I find it hurts my hands. I think it is probably because when we are new to something we tend to hold things stiffer and tighter. Eventually we develop our own more comfortable and relaxed way of doing things. I crocheted a blanket, and at the beginning it is much narrower and my stitches are smaller and stiffer. As I reached the other end, I can see a big difference as my tension eased. It also bothered my hands less and less as I worked on it.

I am actually prone to pain in my hands, and after several different diagnoses and prescriptions, I found that if I am sure to knit for at least 20 minutes a day, my pain goes away. My Nanny said her doctor told her knitting probably is the reason she never developed arthritis. She still knits daily, in her mid-90s.

I would say that if I was looking to make something decorative or to have a project to bring along with me, I would pick crochet. It is very portable since you only have to bring a hook, and I don't worry about doing it in the car. It can make some really cute baby items. If I was looking to make something that was more for wear, I would choose knitting. I find crochet patterns tend to have more holes and spaces. They look pretty, but you can lose some warmth in that regard. I would crochet a little hat for spring, but for a warm winter hat, I'd choose knitting. I used little crochet blankets for DD3 who was born in the Spring, and heavier knitted blankets for DD5 who was born in the winter.

Of course, you knit big lacy stitches and crochet very tightly, so these are just generalizations.

I find crochet is harder on the eyes because you can usually knit without looking at what you're doing since your stitches are waiting for you on the needle, but for crochet, you need to look at which stitches you're picking up. This might be because crochet is still newer to me. Maybe those with experience crochet easily without looking too.

As for which is easier; it's a toss up. Both I think are pretty easy with a little practice. They both really only have a few different stitches to learn, and then the patterns are based on those stitches. That said, most books that are aimed at teaching both skills start with crochet and move on to knitting.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm with Ellen, I find crocheting much easier but love the look of some of the knitted items.

I have Tenosynovite de DeGervvain on my thumbs that I developped from crocheting too long (used to do it long hours per day), now I try not to do more than 20-30 minutes and all is fine.

I don't knit much so I find it harder because I knit too tight but I also know that practice would ease that.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Thanks Ladies. I am sure I am holding the hook to tight. I will need to play around with it more until I find the comfort zone with it. I want to give knitting a try cause also love the look of knitted stuff and would love to knit a poncho. I think I may look around my area to see if there are any knitting classes.

Unfortunately like most money is becoming very tight and would love to be able to expand on homemade gifts. I already do a lot of homemade gifts from the kitchen but I find my self sitting around most evening either watching TV or reading. I would love to fill in the TV time with something more constructive like crocheting/knitting.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Minta, there is no need to pay for knitting classes when you have internet. I taught myself to knit and crochet using YouTube and I think knittingcoucil has tutorials for everything as well. By learning it on the computer you can stop and start at will and the live video's are excellent.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, there is no need to pay for knitting classes when you have internet. I taught myself to knit and crochet using YouTube and I think knittingcoucil has tutorials for everything as well. By learning it on the computer you can stop and start at will and the live video's are excellent.

Thanks ... i didn't think of looking on youtube