Crock pot cooking question

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
It seems that everyone gets moist tender roasts except me. :-(
Do I use too much liquid? I dont add veges, only meat/spices and put enough water/broth to just the top of the roast.

Please help!!!!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
From what I understand only a bit of broth is needed...and you should cook it on low settings.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Maybe you're not cooking it long enough.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Long and low heat I think is key. I add too much broth sometimes and end up with mush lately.

I usually add some minced garlic, minced onions, pepper, bay leaf, and too much beef broth :)

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Trying adding just enough water/broth to cover the bottom of the pot & cook on low. You can always add more if needed but it would be hard to remove if you have too much.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
I put mine in frozen about 7am and let it cook on high for 6 hours and then it goes to low until we are ready to eat. I only put about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water. This way, it steams in its own juices.

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Thank you all for your input!!!

Ok 2 things; I am gonna use less liquid. I'll try just covering the bottom. Then I'm gonna try just cooking it longer. I live at almost 7,000 ft above sea level which means longer cooking times. I normally cook abt one hour on high then switch to low. So with your suggestions I willl try again.

I REALLY appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
After reading this if I lived where you do I just leave it on high. Try it on a day when you'd be home to keep an eye on it. An hour on high isn't long enough to get the tempature high enough to cook. Crock pots are made to be on for long hours. I've had mine on for up to 12 hours at a time. I put a metal baking sheet under it to check drips and to protect my counter top.

High Altitude Crockpot Cooking
If you live at a high altitude, you might need to increase your crockpot cooking times by up to fifty percent! This is because the air pressure in the atmosphere is lower. Water boils at 212 degrees F at sea level. If you are boiling water at 7500 feet however, it boils at 198 degrees F, which makes a big difference to your crockpot recipes. The difference in the water boiling temperature affects the food cooking processes and therefore the flavor of the food as well as the cooking time.

from: http://www.bestcrockpotrecipes.net/Crockpot-Articles/high-altitude-crockpot-cooking.php

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Thank you, I tried cooking longer and it did help but it still wasn't as tender as I am hoping for, BUT I didnt allow enough time before dinner. I only cooked for abt 7 hrs.

So, my resullts were that using less liquid was much better but cooking it longer made the liquid cook away so...... next time a little more liquid (not as much as before LOL. I was filling with liquid to cover the roast) and try to adjust the cooking time to cook maybe 10 hours.

I will also use the high setting and keep checking.

Thanks to ALL who have helped me!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I really wish I had a crockpot that would cook at a low enough setting to slow roast meats! Mine cooks SO high it is insane!

Finally managed to make a good pot roast last Sunday by pre-searing meat and cooking in oven set to 275. I used a small cast iron dutch oven I have and the meat turned out soooo good! Tender! Yum!

A ceramic coated larger dutch oven is on my list for Santa this year! :)

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
I read that the temperature problem is a big issue in crock pots :-(