December 14 - Nearly There Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Have I got this right? Please let me know if something is mixed up!

Well..... we are "nearly there" -- for better or for worse. So - routines for me today. And -- at 5:00 -- dh and I are treating a guy from our neighborhood to some beers and dinner at our local hang-out place.

Very long story: his dad has had strokes -- and the son and his wife tried to take care of the dad in their home. It became very very ugly -- the dad is loaded financially but refused to spend a penny to help with the extra expenses he was creating. (The dad is notoriously cheap - but the neighbors hoped the dad would part with some money to help his only child. NOT.) Bottom line: the son and his wife are now getting a divorce - and it is NOT friendly.

The son is trying to clean out the Dad's home. The dad is now living with a cousin and her husband -- both sharp operators, who have gotten power of attorney - and control of the dad's money. It looks like the son (and the two granddaughters) will get nothing from the very rich grandpa.

So -- dh and I will take the son out to dinner -- at a very fun place with good food. Hopefully it will be a bright spot for the son - during a very hard time.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I agree... it's got to be routines at this time. No time to start something new.

Sparklenana you are such a good person to help this gentleman. I remember the story of his dad and find it really sad.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Sparklenana, I am sad to hear that this family are breaking up like this, I think you have talked about them before. Families, especially when there is any money involved, can get messy (even when there is no seeking of that money by some - there often is by others).

Nearly there - absolutely. I still have some gifts to get, but work is taking precendence this week. Only 11 days to go though!!! (I am even wearing my Christmas Tree brooch on my suit jacket today, as I think it is late enough to start being festive - and it goes with my red shirt!!).

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
SparkleNana - this is so sad. I remember you telling us about these people.

Nearly there - just need to finish up the wrapping and get the gifts for the music teachers ready.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Tuesday morning -- hurray for us! At the very least -- we are all having fun together here at our MHH and really enjoying each others company!!!!!!!

Lots of laundry, kitchen stuff, picking up and organizing going on. Deadline -- this afternoon - maybe 2:00. Dh wants to go Christmas shopping for the gifts he wants to give! Sounds like fun to me!!! If I get tired -- I'll sit down and read a magazine -- until I get some energy back.

By the way, last nights' dinner with neighbor was really nice. We Did go to the "Happy Hour Dinner" at a beautiful, wood-paneled bar/restaurant. (By going during Happy Hour prices -- we didn't have to worry about money. The dinners were great and quite cheap -- and thus we could afford as many beers as he wanted (two for him, two for me, one for dh.)

It was one of his Mom's favorite restaurants and he had a lot of happy memories of being there with her. And he talked a lot about his years in high school and as a young adult before he got married (in his mid-twenties.) We didn't know that he loved running -- was on track in high school, and entered competitions and running groups as a young adult. Also -- loved basketball - and played with organized groups of friends after high school.

Although dh and I didn't know him terribly well (we had tiny children and he was a young, single guy) -- we DID know him through his parents. And he talked all evening about happy times in his life (when he lived here). And - we have kept up with him through his 30 year marriage, and living in another state, through his parents. (Our son spoke at his mothers' funeral, for example.)

Dh pointed out (to me) that his mother has died and his father has essentially abandoned him -- and he is going through a divorce - being abandoned by his wife. With very very few resources. He has been a "carpet-installer" all of his life. (Getting hired on a "job by job" basis by various stores that sold carpeting.) He is now in his 50's -- with bad back problems and other serious health problems (diabetic who needs insulin injections, extremely high blood pressure - somewhat controlled, etc. etc.) He suffers a lot of physical pain now, when he is installing carpets.

It is so often good to live "One day at a time". I often live one hour -- or one minute at a time. I think this is probably a time for this son to take his life one day -- or one hour -- at a time. Hopefully, he will have some new happy times to add to his collection of happy memories. He is a sweet man. And very pleasant, very good sense of humor, very comfortable to spend time with. Nice looking and good hearted. Both dh and I enjoyed last night. And dh wants to do it again soon -- taking him to another one of our favorite Happy Hour dinner bargain places next time.

Well - this was a nice break! Now - back to our Christmas "Nearly There" things to do!

Last edited:

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
SparkleNana, that is so thoughtful of you and your hubby to be so caring towards this man who is struggling in so many areas. Big hugs to you both!