December 2011 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hey... it's December 3rd already! Decluttering.... is NOT on our minds at THIS time of year! There are lots more fun things... to think about!

However.... "clutter" is our enemy.... even at this lovely time of year!

Well.... let's give ourselves a nice gift! Let's make a date together.... to work on "decluttering" during January 2012! We are ALWAYS inspired to do that in January!!!!

For now.... "treading water" is fine! And.... if we DO get more than that accomplished.... terrific! But... . it is NOT mandatory!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
At Barnes & Noble today, I read part of an excellent book... written by Dr. Zaslo... a psychologist on the TV show "Hoarders". This new book is NOT for "hoarders". It is for those of us who have "too much stuff".

One thing that she wrote about... was the role that "shopping" plays. She said that she, herself, loves to go shopping. She finds it pleasurable and soothing! But... she said that she tries to IMMEDIATELY get rid of one object for every object that she brings home.

She talked about the dangers... of buying things BECAUSE they are "a great deal". She said that there are ALWAYS... lots of "great deals".... and that is one way... that too much stuff accumulates.

She also talked about the psychological aspects of "getting rid of stuff". Right now.... I'm going to go "get rid of some stuff". I'll try to write more about the book.... later.

Last edited:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Sparklenana that sounds like a good book. Look forward to hearing more about it. Thanks

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
Well I guess if you count plastic bags as clutter; I took a big trashbag of them back to the grocery store for recycling. I don't know if they "actually" recycle them-I hope they do.

I wish they would do away with them permanently. I am allergic to them-I break out in a rash from them. My cat likes to eat them and it makes him sick. I actually got used to using re-useable bags when I lived in Europe. I don't know why I didn't continue the habit when I got back. I guess you do what you do where you live at the time.

Anyway, they are at the store where they came from and not in my house so that's my decluttering for today.

:fireplace:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
As we unpack decor for Christmas, we are putting what is no longer of use in bags. The broken, the forgotten or 'what was I thinking' decorations ;)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've still been working on my friends house. It's been months now and it's amazing how I've seen him transform some of his thoughts as we go. But at the same time, others remain the same. It's so weird how perfectionism plays into hoarding.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
SN = do let us know about the book. tips & tricks

Went to mom's this weekend, brought her all her Halloween costumes back + other stuff I had to give away... yay me... lots less stuff in the guest room :)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yes!!

As we unpack decor for Christmas, we are putting what is no longer of use in bags. The broken, the forgotten or 'what was I thinking' decorations ;)

Yeah! We did that too!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hmmmmmm ...

It's so weird how perfectionism plays into hoarding.
Yes! And trying to help DS8 not obsess over keeping every last toy he has every been given ...

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
I freecycled a large bag of Christmas decorations I no longer wanted. I actually freecycled 7 bags of stuff, but it wasn't all mine. I also gave away our old Christmas tree. We got a new slim one this year and it takes up so much less room and the branches are a lot sturdier than the old one. Now I only have enough stuff, not more than enough. I got rid of all the decor that I was given and never really liked, but felt obligated to put it on display. I'm done doing that and I feel free. We are also announcing this year at Christmas dinner, no more gifts, so that should cut down on a few unwanted things as well.

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
CraftyLady, I'm lovin' your ideas. I've been lugging around a bunch of decorations that I really should give the heave ho. Now that our girls are older (in college) we have reduced gifts down to just 2 each. One fun item and one something really really needed. For us it's so much more important to enjoy being together at the holidays than the gifts under the tree.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hey --- how did it get to be December 11th already?????

Today.... I took a big bunch of stuff to the thrift shop! A lot of Christmas-decorations-stuff... that I am "downsizing". They put it right out on the floor... for sale... which is good! They have a Christmas section.... right by the front door.

For the rest.... the very, very, very best thing..... is to really limit.... what you do bring into the house!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Saturday, December 17th. Heading out to the Thrift Shop, later today.... with MORE Christmas decorations to donate!

This month has been.... "Nothin Much".... in the decluttering arena!

thank Goodness.... for our 2012 Decluttering Club!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
This time of the year is hard to do the decluttering club - good job SN!
I'll be ready for 2012

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yes!!

This time of the year is hard to do the decluttering club - good job SN!
I'll be ready for 2012

I'll be ready, too!

:elf2:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I ran across a set of sheets I received two years ago from Christmas. I never used them on my bed because I need deep pocket sheets.

They were washed and then put in a bag. Every time I run across this bag, it gets on my nerves.

So, when I ran across it the other day, I took the bag, went right to my car and drove it to a donation box.

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Decluttered cabinets in downstairs bathroom. Got rid of 2 bags of beauty-bath products that have been there for a long time.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Nothing physically decluttered but I just went through my "Favorites" on my computer and deleted things I don't need to keep

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is the last day for our WONDERFUL 2011 Declutter Club! This Club was SO helpful to me! Even though I lost a lot of "decluttering time" when I broke my leg in January..... and the time from Thanksgiving on.... was pretty much a "bust" because Christmas Ate Up All The Energy and Time! @We still got a lot done during 2011!

AND... I am sio so SO happy that we begin our new Declutter Club for 2012.... tomorrow!

Thank you, Gingerbug! Brilliant idea!