December 7th - Finish Up Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
After all our efforts to get the house decluttered and organized during the year; and all the hustle-bustle of wrapping and decorating - this is our week to "finish up"! Finishing cleaning and polishing the house. Finish the wrapping and the mailing - and whatever else needs to be done!

How does this week look for you?

So far - the week looks smooth -- plenty of time to "finish up". However - we do remember that "Real Life" tends to happen when we least expect it!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
YIKES!! Finish up week!!

OK, don't panic, we are in reasonable order after all.

I have the cards ready to go - and we are posting them this week, which is plenty of time. I have almost all of the presents for home bought, wrapped and left with the 2 families last weekend. Except that I forgot to bring the one for my folks (oops, but I can now add a couple of things I thought of), and I wasn't able to get the KK present for my sister. So the baby sister will collect those when she calls to us on Saturday (she's driving down for Christmas, we're not back down until Stephen's Day).

I have everything already bought wrapped, including a couple for local people here. But I still have 6 gifts to get for here, and the KK present. I know what 2 of those will be, and I suspect that I will be baking another 2.

I need to give the whole house a quick going over at the weekend. I hoovered when I was off sick last week, so I could avoid that if time is against me. I want to change sheets on all beds (including one guest bed) and towels, and give the bathrooms a proper clean. The kitchen floor needs a wipe (unless I manage a proper mop job some night this week) and I have a bundle of papers to move into my office from the dining room. And I want to dust the sitting room before we put the tree up.

The budget is looking OK, although I need to add in a few things bought at the weekend. But I DO need to finalise my grocery list. As we have to do a reasonably large shop this weekend (running out of cleaning products, meat, and lots of grocery items, as well as getting aheead on some of the seasonal items). DH bought a pudding at the farmer's market at the weekend, and I made my mincemeat last week, so they are under control. I also need, in terms of stores and purchasing, to get another bag of logs and some briquettes for the fire as we will be at home a good bit and it is a LOT colder than most years already.

We will decorate on Saturday as well - put up the tree and DD will make some paper chains for the playroom.

And I have to do some more baking. I need to make the spiced Christmas bsicuits with DD (probably not until the following weekend though) for creche and home. And I will start baking the cookie dough rolls I have frozen - half a hazelnuts, one orange and lemon, and one and a half choc choc chip (as I KNOW I'll have lots of takers for those). I should have enough in that much, but we'll see. At least the fairy cakes for DD's birthday party are made, rice krispie buns are easy, and I have a Sunday afternoon in 10 days to worry about the cake itself. I am considering making some truffles as a present for 2 families - if I have time. I have the chocolate and dusting things, but would get the cream fresh during Christmas week.

The only crafting thing I have left to finish that I HAVE to, is DH's scarf and hat set. The hat needs the side seam to sew it together. And the scarf needs the 6 lines each of light grey, medium grey and light grey again for the pattern, with another 15 or so lines in the dark grey main colour to the casting off. So a single night should see that done (which I was hoping for when he went on his office night out - but it looks like they're not even going for a few drinks this year, so the odd 5 minutes here and there will have to do). Or perhaps I will disappear "to do some shopping" and add an extra hour to a solo grocery run....hmm, that sounds most feasible.

Giminey - that wasn't meant to be as long, but it has cheered ME up at least, that it's not as bad as I feared when I realised what week we're on.

How is everyone else getting on? Ready to celebrate?
Wings

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Finish Up week? Well...... maybe not THIS year..... there seems to be a fair amount left to do. Many cards to write. At least one more package to mail. No..... make that at least TWO. Maybe.... three. Presents left to wrap. Etc. Etc.

But....... this is CERTAINLY the farthest along that I have EVER been! So..... THAT is very good! Maybe....... maybe I will put off that goal until.... 2010!

Tomorrow -- (1) is to work on preparing and mailing Package #2. And then -- general householdy things. Then (2) dh and I will take the grandsons shopping for the Christmas gifts that they will give. We will take them out to dinner. And then home -- to wrap the gifts and do their homework. (Their parents are going to a Christmas party with dgs#3.)

Taking these boys shopping for their gifts-to-give is a tradition that we all love!

I hope that you are able to sprinkle some fun things in with all your hard work!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Our next week is going to be "Maintenance Week. Which -- I understand to mean that we should NOT begin major projects such as painting a room, etc. We should do our routines (and, god Help Us, I hope our routines stand up to this challenge!) Which should maintain our homes in a pleasant condition -- so that we can enjoy the days leading up to Christmas. Have a tasteful Christmas Tree Decorating Party. And - plan our New Years' Celebrations.

Well.... I decorated my tree the week after Thanksgiving. I think the New Years' Eve Celebration Party planning will be handled by a neighbor! So -- I will finish some Christmas chores...... chores that I hope will be finished earlier in the year in 2010! And -- I will enjoy some Christmas parties and celebrations - as a guest!!!

But now -- back to Finish Up Week -- for the rest of the day.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Finish Up Week - I think I can handle that! :)

This past weekend was my last big "push" of frenzied activity. Got cookie tins loaded, packages sealed up and DH took them to the post office 1st thing Monday for me.

We also hosted a birthday luncheon for DMIL and DLittleBIL on Sunday - so alot of the weekend was spent in cleaning and food prep for that event - plus laundry and other normal house routines.

I was exhausted! :) Still trying to catch up, actually. lol

But I can say with great relief that from here til New Years it should be pretty smooth sailing where Christmas is concerned.

Presents are 99% bought and 99% wrapped. I have a couple of small things I'd like to pick up for DH but if I didn't fit that in, I will get them for his B-Day in March instead.

I do still need to buy almost all presents for DNeice - but she will not be coming until New Years weekend at the earliest. Her little sisters, the twins, have been so sick since October - my DS is going out of her mind trying to find someone who can figure out what is wrong with these little girls.

Upper respiratory problems - one had H1N1 for a time - they are still throwing up almost every day due to all the mucus, etc. etc. Poor things! :(

But it may be that even our normal hosting of their family over New Years for our own little "Christmas" will be postponed this year. It is hard to say right now...

But since I don't host any other parties or family events this year - I can do normal maintenance on the house and not sweat it.

I do have more baking I want to do!

And there is a looooong list of items I want to tackle for freezer cooking sessions - to better feed us once the baby comes. :)

And of course there is plenty left to do to get the baby's room straigtened, stocked, etc.

So I need to start working on that now. But tonight - tonight I rest!!!