December Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Diedra, Is there a charity Christmas giving tree that will want the gifts. I often place unwanted things out of the gift closet under the Kmart tree.

Planner is full of decluttering goals for 2017, just got to wait for the new year.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Keep up the good work, everyone!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yesterday I sorted 5 totes and one Huge christmas tote. I emptied all but one regular sized tote. LC1 took home two totes filled with Christmas items I no longer need. Dh dropped off three trash bags of items to Goodwill. Not bad for one day.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Kim, you're doing so good! Wow! I'm impressed.

I threw out 2 boxes of magazines. We had a rat...yes, a rat, not a mouse. A small one, but a rat none the less. It ran out across the living room and DH shot it with the BB gun!! How much more redneck can you get?! So, I've been moving things around and cleaning like crazy. I knew we had something and put out traps, but couldn't catch it. I didn't want to put out bait because we had company coming in for Christmas and didn't want dead animal smells in the house, but after they leave on Saturday, out it will go just in case there are more. Now, to find where they're getting in. I found one hole and DH plugged it...the joys of living in an antique house! Anyway, it prompted a serious need to get rid of those magazines because they were in it's running path. Cannot wait until after the holidays so I can get with it!!

Don't get me wrong, I will fully celebrate Christmas and not wish it away, but I'm ready to declutter in a major way.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Miss Jane how else are you supposed to get rid of a rat other then shoot with a BB Gun. We live in the country and there are lots of things that can bring them around. Garbage, dog food, high grass. My brother lives down the road the house that is across the road from him was a dog kennel and a nasty one at that they ended up finally selling the house and kennel after about 5 years being empty the people were working on it and cleaning it up on the outside my brother walked in his kitchen on morning to a huge rat in his dog food. It must have come across the road since they cleaned everything up.

Well I put about 15 more bags out to the garbage last night from the basement. I am almost half way thru the furnace room then just some organizing and I will be done with the basement. If I had worked on it every night it would not have taken this long but at night after I get home I just don't have that sort of energy. I know I have some extra cleaning up todo down there since my youngest and two nieces went down to paint wood signs last night so I am sure nothing got put away. That's ok will only take a minute.

I think I am going to try and get as much as I can of what is left down there done today

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've declutter wrapping paper and ribbons today. Started on filling another trash bag for goodwill.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Yes, Yes, Yes only a few things to go thru and the basement is finally done. Well actually after Sunday went I can put the next 15 bags to the road for garbage that is. I am going to try and get thru those few things tomorrow night after work

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Amazing how much some of you got done in December with everything else going on! GREAT JOB!

I am thinking that if Allen and I start in our room like 1/2 an hour (or more) nightly we will start going somewhere. Or the kitchen.

Allen is so ready to get rid of crap so hopefully he will continue and have a good year (no mishaps or sickness) and stuff will get done.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I boxed up two boxes of stuff from my kitchen cabinets today to go in a rummage sale I'll have in March (weather permitting). I cleaned out from under the snack bar, the cabinet beside my dish washer, and one pantry shelf, and put new shelf lining paper in all of them. Feels good to get rid of stuff! DH helped me. We washed everything in the cabinets we worked on.

Lana, I hope Allen stays well and has no mishaps this year. He's a pretty handy guy!
Kim, you're trash must run often.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Lana I just wanted it done. We have a huge bar in the basement now behind that is filled with totes for a yard sale and stuff to go to goodwill in the spring once it is gone thru again.

Miss Jane garbage pick up is every Monday morning I can tell when the garbage men don't like me they throw the garbage cans instead of just setting them back down. Oh well it's their job and we pay enough for garbage pick up. Sometimes I think it would be cheaper to go to the dumb ourselves.

Hopefully in the spring we will get a dumpster when we start working on the barn. I came home with a major migraine last night and slept so I am going to finish up the basement today along with getting the rest of the out door christmas stuff down started that yesterday but was way too cold out there. Not to much more to do.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
You all are an inspiration! DH and I have done some clearing out in our "junk-computer-school-art" room. It's the room in the house where we throw stuff and shut the door if company is coming. LOL Then DD24 did her room. Lots went to be donated at the place we like to take things ... and shop at, too! And she got rid of some books that first she thought she'd try this new place that would buy used books! She got $30 store credit!

2016 wasn't a good year for me to stick to the Jump-Start January cleaning/de-cluttering plan. Maybe 2017?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We tossed a lot of stuff from the shed yesterday. I sorted through and set aside things for a rummage sale in the spring, too, Kim. I have two commercial-type display shelves I put on a swap site, but no one has bought them. DH is taking them to the scrap metal place on Tuesday if no one gets them by then. I'm just ready for them to be gone!

Last night, we took about 8 paper size boxes of stuff I had stored here from school from when a renovation was done. I don't know where it will go because all the kitchens are full, but it needed to go away from my house!

I'm continuing to work in the kitchen. I love dishes, so it's hard. I only work on it in little snitches at a time because it overwhelms me.

Lana, we need to work in our bedroom, too. DH is great at cleaning, but it's because he just shoves things wherever they will go or stashes stuff where you can't see it. I call him a macro-cleaner. I call myself a micro-cleaner because I want to handle every piece of everything, going through it and deciding whether we should keep it, get rid of it, or give it a proper "home."

Today's the last day do declutter in December...hope you get some things done today!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Jane I feel the same way if it isn't sold by a certain time it is gone. I can not wait until snow melts to be able to start on garages and barn and sheds to get them done. I still have two cubby's in the house but would also rather do those in the spring to be able to take things outside and sort thru

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DD19 went through some things on the desk in her room, as well as socks and purses. Thankful that's done! That finishes up her bedroom. She's taking some things back to college with her, some is keepsake and will stay here, other is for the rummage sale. Yay!