December Magical Moment # 7 Holiday Photos

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
December Magical Moment #7 Holiday Photos

Capturing holiday memories in photos can be a wonderful experience. Sorting, organizing, and displaying them may not be. Recently I have organized most of my Christmas Past photos and this year I plan to devote the month nof January to looking through the digital photos of 2007, printing the ones I want to scrap or display, and organizing and labeling the CDs of the rest of them. Otherwise, they will stay preserved in CD form and never scrapped. I plan on downsizing and picking around 15-20 shots, printing and working with them.

Some of my best photos have been a series of shots. For example at Halloween I was able to capture about 5-6 pictures of Evan's first experience with a sucker. My favorite is the final one ....after has put it in his mouth and tasted it! Consider doing some series pictures this year of baking, unwrapping a gift, etc and see what you come up with.

Another idea is to take some "hand" pictures...I plan on doing Great Grandmas, mine, DD25, and Evan's both individually and as a group. While not a traditional holiday photo...I thought they would create an interesting page or photo display for the wall, especially printed in black and white. "The Hands that Created Christmas 2007" or something like that.

How do you handle holiday photos? Any suggestions or ideas for photo opts?:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I love the idea of the hand picture. We had our pictures taken at Walmart this year. Last year a lady that works at the school where my mom works took our pictures, they were okay but not the best.

I would love to take some of my own. I took some of the children playing in the leaves with daddy that came out wonderful. I want to take some of them in the snow this year. We take so many pictures all the time, I have to have a CD for every month. Sometimes two CD's for a month. I have yet to venture into scrapping, but would love to eventually.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Several years ago I was given a "Christmas Memories" album as a gift. On each page is a slot for 1 picture and journaling. There is also a "box" in the back to put momentos. After much thought, I decided to use the album to chronicle many Christmases rather than just one. So each year we take a family picture in front of the tree and then I journal just a couple sentences about the year. In the box, I include the card and the picture of the kids that we sent. The album starts when we just had DS11 and now we have DD8, DS6, and DS2! I keep it out all year. Unfortunately, there are only 4 or 5 pages left. I need to think about how I will continue.

Some of my favorite pages to scrap are our Christmas pages. It seems I am always up to date on those pages in our album, but behind on all the others!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I love the Christmas Memories Journal idea, momof4!

I started a Christmas photo album/scrapbook two years ago. STARTED it, but never completed a page yet!

For the past 10 years, I take my three DK's to the mall every year for a photo with Santa. Even though my oldest is 14, he still goes along with this because he knows how happy it makes his Mom!! I line all the photos up on a quilt shelf in my family room -- running out of room and will have to add another shelf in the next year or two! The current picture usually sits on the kitchen counter where I can look at it more closely, more often.

A DSIL did this with her children, who are now in their 20's. Every year they're together, they still get their picture taken with Santa for their Mom.

Grannyloveschristmas

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
South East of UK
Hi Gingerbug
Just wondering how you got on with the photo taking over christmas. Have you managed to strt on your holiday photo notebook? :?:
I just wondered whether you thought it could be a follow-along project for christmas 2008, maybe start when the decs go up or not. I would love to try but don't always have the confidence to go-it-alone. Knowing ther's a guiding hand and a thread to post on makes all the difference to me. :grouphug: It also makes me less likely to give up half way through.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Right now I am concentrating on two things with my photos...getting them burned to CD's with a back up copy...and organizing the ones I have on the copmputer into folders...

Some months I have loads of photos and other months not many....once I get all the cameras cleared....I would like to plan on downloading and organizing photos once a month...like on the first or last day of a month....that way all my photos can be in folders that say Jan 2008. February 2008 etc.....I am a long way from getting there but a little at a time!!!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Oh Gingerbug-that sounds so wonderful! Just think of the stress that would get rid of! I have been working with myDS7's artwork-I scan it all as I don't have room for it all-I have it all organized and ready to burn but I can't make it work-I need to get my DSIL over to show me how! Maybe that will be my scrapping goal for Jan/Feb!TFS!
:cloudnine: Love everyone's creative ideas!

Grannyloveschristmas

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
South East of UK
My goodnes Gingerbug you're so wonderfully organised and have such great ideas, you must have been doing this for ages. What makes it more amazing is how you do all this and put so much work into all these Boards as well. :applause:

I'm so into notebooks now that jackfrosty's idea about scrapbooking sounds great. I love the ideas of momof4 and Holiday Joy, they would make great gifts.

How do others store their photos?

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
I hate to admit it....but, :help: mine are in a huge trunk...not organized in any manner at all. That's my resolution for this year, to get them organized. I've bought the photo boxes, now I just need my husband to lug the trunk into my craft room.