December Magical Moment #9 Movie Memories

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
December Magical Moment #9 Movie Memories

Everyone in our family has a favorite holiday movie. My oldest son loves the Grinch, middle child Katie, looks forward to A Christmas Story, and dear daughter Kelsey, is hard pressed to pick a favorite since she loves them all but she has been known to watch Rudolph more than once during the season. My dear husband, who can be challenging, laughs his way through Bad Santa. (while I'm appalled). Me? I really enjoy A Christmas Carol (any version) and also enjoy the twist on this classic movie: Scrooge.

Every year we pick a movie to enjoy together on Christmas Eve. This year we decided to watch The Santa Clause 3, and since its already tucked away on the shelf, its really hard to resist seeing it before then! With dear Evan being 1, he's too youing for a favorite movie yet but I can say that he didn't move an inch during the airing of Shrek's Christmas.

What are your favorites? Do you have any special traditions or events that include a movie?

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
My all time favorite is White Christmas. Absolutely love it. When I am with my sisters our tradition is to watch both Miracle on 34th street and It's a Wonderful Life. We usually will watch these on Christmas Eve.

My second favorite is becoming The Grinch :grin:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
With the price of movie theater tickets, we rarely treat our whole family (6 of us, counting one of my dear sisters!) to theater tickets. But, on Christmas Eve, after we attend an early service at church, we all go OUT to watch the latest 'it' Christmas movie (if it's family appropriate :grin: ). We even buy popcorn and drinks! We started this tradition three years ago and are surprised by how well it works for us:
The very excited children are seated and still, riveted. We all feel extravagantly treated. By the time the movie lets out, we're calmer and relaxed! The kids talk for weeks about what movie we should see (sometimes for months, as if the summer movies will still be playing in December!) and go through the list of the last Christmas Eve movies ('Hey, remember the year we went to see. . .?").
It's funny, because my personal Norman Rockwell Christmas Eve would be one of children in their jammies curled up around the chair while Daddy reads the Christmas Story from the gospel of Luke, or 'Night Before Christmas', sipping warm drinks and beaming happily as they then skip up the stairs to bed to dream of sugarplums. My image is definitely NOT of sitting in a movie theater! But it's what works for us, and we love it.

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
Hubby and I got married a week before Christmas. On our honeymoon we watched Scrooge. It has since become a favorite of ours to watch on our anniversary! It has to be the one with Alistair Simms and black and white. I wouldn't say that Scrooge is my favorite Christmas movie, but it is certainly the one that brings back warm memories.

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
White Christmas is mine and A Christmas Story is my husband's. Can't beat Bing Crosby in my opinion. :snowman:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My favorite is Miracle on 34th Street-the original. I love it. My dad bought it for me years ago, but it's on VHS and none of our vcrs work now. I'm hoping Santa tucks it into my stocking this year on DVD! My second favorite is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I absolutely love the scene when Chevy Chase's character is stuck in the attic, wrapped in a fur coat and a turban on his head, watching home movies and crying. Then he falls through the floor! I laugh every time just like it's the first time!

Coming in third, in a tie, it's White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life and Holiday Inn. Then there's all the Santa Clause's (I, II and III-Ginger, you will love #3!) I love the North Pole that they depict in that movie. That's where I want to take the kids for Christmas, LOL! Also on my favorite list is Christmas Carol, Gift of the Magi and Christmas in Connecticut! I love that one. I think I identify with the Barbara Stanwick character-has a gift for telling people how to do things, but sort of falls short in her own home. Hmmm...now what party planner does that remind us of!! LOL :santalol: Well, now my secret is out!!

I think we are going to watch SC3 as well on Christmas Eve. The kids don't know it yet..I'm going to pick it up and tuck it away and give it to them with their Christmas pjs and slippers. I think I'll get my nephew one, too.

Oh--I forgot the Polar Express---love, love, love that one!

dejavu

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago suburbs, Illinois
We just start near the end of November and try to watch all of our favorites before Christmas Eve. (That night we usually watch It's a Wonderful Life.) Movies we own and watch in no particular order are:

Elf
Polar Express
Jingle All the Way
Miracle on 34th Street
Elf
The Grinch (both versions)
A Christmas Story
Christmas with the Kranks (I love the book, the movie is ok)
The Santa Clause movies (watch on tv when they're on)
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Frosty the Snowman
Elf

Did I mention we like to watch Elf?? Year round??? I= :santalol:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We have fallen in love with Polar Express. I actually got it for DS5 this year for Christmas. My all time favorite is Charlie Brown Christmas! Although I like to watch just about any Christmas movie. Another favorite of mine is Scrooged with Bill Murray. We used to watch that every year when I was younger.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Cathymac we love vacation movies around here. My ds9 laughs his head off everytime he sees that one part no matter how much he watchs it.

A Christmas Story has a special meaning to my ds11 which is kinda dumb in my opion. He loves to watch it to hear them say "you'll shoot your eye out" When he was 8 my brother found him a Red Rider BB gun for Christmas. Since we exchange gifts with my brothers and sister on Christmas Eve we all knew he was getting the BB gun (my sil thought I would kill him for doing this, but he knew I wouldn't). We kept saying that part of the movie. When he opened it. He looked at my brother and said Uncle Jay you can't use my gun because you'll shoot your eye out. We all cracked up. He had the greatest fun with that on Christmas day after his uncles went over all the rules and told him what he could get away with shooting at and that he couldn't because grandma would flip out. She also found out who shot out a few barn windows when my brothers were younger.

My favorite movie to watch is Miricle on 34th St. It was a tradition for my gram and me to watch together. No matter when it was on, even if a school night I would stay at my grams and we would watch it together. We have the remake but just not the same. I was looking for the original on DVD last Saturday but didn't find. Some one told me that have it at Walmart so I guess that I will have to go in there to get it. Both my girls like it when we watch it together.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
KimD, I saw the original Miracle on 34th street at Circuit City today, if you can't find it at Walmart.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I never relized until last night that there has been not 2 but 3 Miricle on 34th St. movies made. I got so excited last night when we seen a commercial that it was going to be on last night. Me and my girls were watching it and I was no this isn't it. It was the first remake of the movie, looks to be made in the 1970's. My oldest dd was mom isn't the original in black and white. I was so upset I fell asleep before it was over. So I am going to have to go find the original no matter how much I have to pay for it this weekend.

Holiday Joy thanks for where I can find it. If Walmart doesn't have it I will have to look at Circut City.