Decorating a mailbox

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
When I cleaned my mailbox off yesterday, I realized that I wanted to decorate it for fall. I've never done that before. My first thought would be to just wrap fall colored garland around the post. Is there a certain kind ( like indoor/outdoor)? I have a Joanne Fabrics and Hobby Lobby here, but no Michael's.

What do you usually do for the fall....and Christmas, because that will be around the corner.

Thanks!

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
When I moved to Ohio it was the first time I had a mail box, every where else we had a PO Box and now we are back to that. Disappointment!!

I loved decorating my mail box every season.

I always started with a mailbox wrap and then for fall. I had mums at the base, wrapped garland of leaves up the post, (I just brought ones from Michaels, they do get trashed by the end of the season though). Then I put corn stalks behind the mail box with a small scarecrow and a bouquet of fall flowers also from Michaels , so that the scarecrow even though he was attached to the corn stalks sat on top of the mailbox.

Enjoy! ~ Farmerswife

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I never thought about decorating my mailbox...great idea!

Laurie - I love the corn stalk with the scarecrow...too cute!

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Thanks for the ideas Laurie! I'm no not a decorator. I love to look at it, but I'm not "good" at it. If that makes sense. I'll check out Hobby Lobby and see what they've got available.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've never decorated our mailbox before but I just might this year. I've seen people use the magnetic seasonal things and the covers that slip on over the mailbox. I love the idea of mums at the base and garland wrapped around the post, also the scarecrow sitting on top. I might just do that if I can find a small scarecrow and figure out how to attach it. We have lots of wind here sometimes and i'm afraid it would blow away.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
what fun deas! Cant put much at the bas b/c I think it would get run over and the back goes down the drain ditch but I could do something! last yr I got a material box wrap b/c mine isn't metal so i can't use the magnetic ones.