Decorating Trends for Christmas 2009

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
There was just a very interesting article on Christmas 2009 on Yahoo News. And how the economic recession is affecting retailers.

HSN (Home Shopping Network) was quoted as having planned a Christmas 2009 theme around pea****s for 2009. When HSN saw how bad things were for Christmas 2008 -- they cancelled their plans for that kind of "dramatic, unusual" stuff. And put in plans for a traditional, homey Christmas. Gingerbread houses and candy canes.

Home Depot had been carrying unusual things. The "upside down" Christmas tree. Decorations in purple and in brown. That will be all gone for 2009. Decorations are back to red and green and gold. Pink and purple trees are gone -- the trees will be green in 2009.

In 2008, retailers had the worst year since 1967. Things are much worse now than they were in 2008. Unemployment is approaching 10% -- much higher than last year. And so many millions are employed "part time" -- with no benefits.

As one of the executives told Yahoo: People are spending much less now. It just is NOT in good taste to spend money you don't have.

The retailers hope that the reassuring, traditional decorations will make people happier -- and ready to spend SOMETHING for Christmas.

What do you think?

Last edited:

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Interesting. I think that people who like the unusual colors of Christmas will be bummed if they will not be able to find what they want in the stores. But if you are creative, then you could always make your own decorations. I personally like the basic traditional colors but it is nice to see a different side of Christmas a well to add into the mix of Christmas.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
Most of our stores have alot of christmas things some are like the ones they carried last year,as i'm always out picking up more and then what i get from QVC,like my son says i really have alot of stuff as he has to help bring all my totes out and some are big totes so he just rolls his eyes and starts hauling them all out.Every year though i change the theme a little and use different things and i have also collected some victorian things.:sleigh:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Interesting! I guess I haven't seen alot of non-traditional colors among the Christmas items already out for this year...but I'll be paying more attention now.

I have stuck mostly to traditional colors for our home anyway so I won't be too put out if the non traditional colors are hard to find for a while.

I've actually been doing really well at NOT buying more Christmas or really ANY holiday decor items this year.

I have so much already! I'm only going to buy something new if I fall in absolute love with it! And the price is within reason! :)

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I just saw an article about this too. I'll be curious to see how this plays out at shopping time. We mostly have a traditional decorating scheme because I'm not too creative but it might be a bit of a disappointment to some folks.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I was in our local walmart over the weekend and they have started filling the lawn and garnden center with the boxes of christmas trees. There were several small 2 ft trees on various colors: pink, blue, etc. They were also inexpensive, under $20 if I remember correctly. I did notice the dollar store putting out more traditional decorations last week.

We tend to stick with more traditional decorations for Christmas ourselves. We not are planning on buying any new decorations prior to Christmas this year except for the usually ornaments the kids pick out and we need a new tree this year so that is a must.

We buy our Christmas decoration after Christmas when they are marked down.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I love the traditional colors and never have been interested in any of the new and unusual decorations - allbeit they are very pretty. I am a big day-after-Christmas shopper. I would always hit the stores early to buy all the decorations I wanted but did not want to pay those high prices. I only bought one or two decorative items last year. I do not plan on buying any more decortions as I have more than enough already. The only way I would buy any decorations is if to replace an old worn out or broken items.

To make my decorations look fresh each year, I just try to use my decorations in different ways.

People I think will look more for the traditional decorations. With stores like Dollar Tree , Big Lots, Family Dollar, etc. They are more obtainable and at reasonable prices. But too, I believe those who love the look of unusual, non traditional decorations will still purchase them regardless of cost.

Belles

Retire Member
Retailers may be right more tradtional decorations may put people into the Christmas spirit and in turn do more gift buying. I would think though that if people were cutting budgets, one of the first places my be the decorations. I know I would opt for giving a gift over new ornaments.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I"m a red, green, gold and silver girl myself. I do like Aggy, I use the same stuff year to year but in different ways.

A couple of years ago I used my white tree in the kitchen and put black, white, red and silver with it. I liked it. That white tree came from the dollar store many years ago-at least 10-and I've used it in every room of the house at one time or another. It's been everything from the Easter tree to the Valentine's tree (that one was pretty-red, white and silver), with several Christmases thrown in.

This year I am planning on buying a few new ornaments, but just because we have a bigger tree (hand me down from one of my Bunco friends) and I'll need more stuff to fill it in. It won't be expensive stuff though--mostly glass balls, which I LOVE and sparkly filler things. Last year I used red and gold in the living room where this tree will be, so I'm planning on using those same colors with some plum colored ornaments thrown in. If I can find any!

Interesting thread. Can't wait to see what will be in the stores this year!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Interesting thread,it will be especially interesting to see in a few weeks time what the shops will be selling. I love the traditional decorations but last year I noticed a lot of chocolate brown decorations,everything from the tree to the ornaments. I suppose people like to feel nostalgic,and by looking to the past they tend to feel safe.

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Love this thread...I am more of a non-traditional decorator...at least on one of my trees...I have the 7 ft white tree in the family room done non-traditonally and the 7 ft tree in the dining room done traditionally with famlily ornaments. This year the white tree will be done in aqua, silver and crystal...all of the orn and trim bought last year after Christmas. I have been lucky to hit really big sales after Christmas...I use a lot of ribbon to add the color also and I bought ribbon last year for 90% off...can't beat it...( I have used the method of bringing new in and clearing the old and unused out, giving it to goodwill or hospice.)

I love seeing the non-tradional items but totally enjoy the basics also. I am sure with the economy it will have to change...perhaps people will start thinking outside the box and use what they have in different ways...as many of us do.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I usually buy my decorations after the holiday for the next eyar as well. Most of my decorations are "traditional" colors with the exception of my diningroom. The tree has my granmother's crystal ornaments and white lights, but we use light blue, white and silver for the rest to play off the colors already in the room.

I don't anticipate buying any new decorations this year, aside from our "yearly" ornaments and fresh greenery.

HallmarkLady

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hallmark Ornament Debut

I am sure someone probably mentioned this already in the past few days, but the Hallmark Ornament Debut is Saturday and Sunday, October 10-11. There are over 100 new ornaments to be seen and a bunch of new specials to start the holiday season. Stop by my blog at http://wrightshallmark.blogspot.com to see some pictures of the new specials.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I've used wide burgundy velvet ribbon for years -- everywhere! It's my favorite color! I bought some beautiful brown ribbon last year. I just couldn't pass it up, it was so pretty, but now I don't know if I have the nerve to use it. My family will think I've lost my mind! Any suggestions?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
ChristmasRose - I was just looking at the BGH.com site -- and they had a big section on decorating with brown and blue for Christmas. It looked very refreshing!

snowgoose

MHH Member
I usually only buy one or two extra ornaments for Christmas and am a very traditional decorator - red, green, silver and gold are the colours I like. There isn't much around in the stores here yet but where they do have displays there seems to be a lot of pale pink - seems a really un-Christmass-y colour to me. Things are tight here too so I would think a lot of people will be making do with what they already have.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I was in IKEA last Friday and their decs were out. Mostly red, with black, green, white and pure straw mixed in. Lots of glass, and traditional shapes. Which I liked (I restrained myself to 1 pack of 2 glass birds in white with black detailing).

So far, I haven't seen much on display yet, but anything I have has been VERY traditional.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I'm using the blue,silver and white on my white tree and my green tree will have some blue,red and some silver as i seem to like those combinations and the white tree will have blue and white lights and the green multicolor.:snowman: