Decorating Trends for Christmas 2009

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Once upon a time I intened to have a pink and silver Christmas tree decorating the spare bedroom - since at the time I had a bedspread in there with little pink ribbon rose flowers on it.

Never got very far with that plan. Now, if we were having a little girl, I would totally plan to have a small tabletop tree done in pink and silver for the nursery.

But it will end up being blue and silver I think - of course, this will all be happening next year. And since the babies room will be done in a jungle theme I will maybe get ornaments that tie into that as well.

Maybe a base of silver, baby blue and lime green glass balls, white lights and a handful of animal theme ornaments???

I can picture it so cute in my head I'm tempted to do it this year - just because!!! LOL

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
ChristmasRose-I got a Ballard Designs catalog last week and they are using brown and green, along with burlap ribbon. Love it!!

I've decided my gift wrap this year will be kraft paper (the light brown kind) with red velvet ribbon, white wrap with purple or gold ribbon and red paper with burlap ribbon. I think I remember seeing red burlap ribbon last year...if I can find that, I'll add it to the mix, too.

I almost always use kraft paper and white paper...added red last year and I loved it, along with a sagey green.

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
I have no idea what is meant by a "peas****s" Christmas! What is it?

I loathed the upside-down Christmas tree so I am happy to hear that it is gone! I think it was meant as a slap in the face to Christmas and Christianity.

I do like to have a variety of colours to choose from for Christmas decorations however. I do a different colour scheme every year on the tree.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Christmasall year -- I also was VERY surprised to read "pea**** Christmas design". I think there is some kind of "spelling fairy" now removing any words that can be naughty from our posts. Even when they are part of a big word -- like the bird with beautiful feathers, known as the pea****!

As for the "upside-down Christmas tree" -- who knows what it meant?

Some people think a Christmas tree made out of beer cans is disrespectful. Other people think it is very good recycling.

To me --- Christmas decorations are like gardens -- they are the artistic expression of the person who designed them. That is why they are so unique.

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
Christmasall year -- I also was VERY surprised to read "pea**** Christmas design". I think there is some kind of "spelling fairy" now removing any words that can be naughty from our posts. Even when they are part of a big word -- like the bird with beautiful feathers, known as the pea****!

As for the "upside-down Christmas tree" -- who knows what it meant?

Some people think a Christmas tree made out of beer cans is disrespectful. Other people think it is very good recycling.

To me --- Christmas decorations are like gardens -- they are the artistic expression of the person who designed them. That is why they are so unique.

Oh, okay, it must refer to the colourful bird, aka known as the peahen's husband! LOL!

What a silly word filter!

I'm all for variety with Christmas trees and decor but the upside down tree fad was awful, imo! It really seemed to be a put-down of Christmas in general.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
I agree about the upside down Christmas tree. I mean,what was the point? I just feel that they were invented for people who are all "I'm crazy,me" but I think they look cheap and nasty. Eventhough I know they are NOT cheap! Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant LOL!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I am a big traditionalist. That being said, horror of horrors (you'd better hold on to something) I am not going to put up a tree this year. My storage unit building had weather damage, and most of my things are at my daughter's house. It is just not going to be convenient to go all the way across the county to get them. Haul everything upstairs. Take the empty containers back to her house, and repeat it in a few weeks. Oh, I'll decorate. I just won't do a tree. I'm getting too old to do this by myself. If DGS were old enough to drive, I'll bet he'd help. But until that time, it will be less is more for me.

I've loved blue and silver for the last couple of years, and have a lot of that. But after Christmas last year, the grocery store had some copper colored things on sale. So I bought some of them. They are at DD's. In fact she asked me if she could use some in her fall decorating. Smart girl.

I have a few things one of my oldest and dearest friends has given me over the years that she bought from QVC, and I'll put them out. She also gave me a Boyds Bears tree that is about a foot tall. I'll just put that out. I may try to find the nativity set I've had for over 30 years. It really isn't Christmas if I don't have a nativity set out. This will go to my youngest son, because my dad gave me the money for it for DS's first Christmas. (DS was born three weeks after Christmas.) I also put a kneeling Santa ornament right in front of the nativity, because we celebrate Jesus, not Santa Claus.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think it is quite wonderful to use whichever Christmas decorations you like -- and that may or may not include a tree! And, Pam, you have already had so much illness this season -- I think it is brilliant to ONLY do what is pleasant and manageable for you! (And I promise to take that advice for MYSELF!

If you enjoy twinkling Christmas lights - they can be strung up anywhere! The Boyds Bear tree will be adorable -- and not be a huge effort! And your dd and dgs will love it that their Christmas tree will be your Christmas tree too, this year!

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
Occasionally I have bought something a bit 'non-traditional' on clearance (I try hard to wait for the 90% off sales) after Christmas because I envision using it in a theme the next year. But my yearly themes are all what I would consider traditional Christmas themes (the Polar express last year, candy canes and gingerbread the year before, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas this year, baby's first christmas 6 years ago).

I could never picture myself going all out with purple and brown though, it just wouldn't feel like Christmas to me, but I am always awed by people's creativity.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
It really seemed to be a put-down of Christmas in general.

To me, the putdown of Christmas is political correctness and calling it a "holiday tree". Christmas is both a secular and religious holiday.

I need to pick up a second tabletop tree to put in my daughter's room.

Ladybugsmom, I would love to find some gingerbread decorations. I'd also like to find a garland made of little Christmas stockings to hang over my kitchen sink/infront of my kitchen window. I haven't been out yet to see what the trends are on our local stores.

Last edited:

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
Ladybugsmom, I would love to find some gingerbread decorations. I'd also like to find a garland made of little Christmas stockings to hang over my kitchen sink/infront of my kitchen window. I haven't been out yet to see what the trends are on our local stores.

I'll keep my eyes open for you!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Canadianjingles my kitchen is a Gingerbread theme. I found my ornaments in Dollar Tree. The ornaments looke like cookie cutouts. I love those ornaments. Also you can try Oriental Trading.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Canadianjingles my kitchen is a Gingerbread theme. I found my ornaments in Dollar Tree. The ornaments looke like cookie cutouts. I love those ornaments. Also you can try Oriental Trading.

We don't have Dollar Tree here and Oriental Trading ships to Canada but shipping is a killer. I don't have a huge budget, but maybe I should check the dollar store here. Cookie cutters themselves might be interesting to string along over my sink.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I'm thinking about a peppermint theme in my kitchen. I found some peppermint-striped ribbon at Joann's, and Aromatique has a peppermint potpourri out this year! I thought "Yuk!" when I saw it, but actually liked the smell. That's as far as I've gotten on the kitchen, but may fall back on my standard fruit decor. Any suggestions about that peppermint?

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Thanks, Christmas Rose! They were sooo fun to make, and can you say "inexpensive"?? LOL!!

I think I've made up my mind about the living room tree...I used red and gold last year and bought several new ornaments in those colors. This year I'm adding purple for a punch of unexpected color with it..deep plum. I am going to get some plum colored glass balls from Garden Ridge (huge carton of them for $20), I'm making gold glittered cones, and I have red crystals to add some sparkle. I will find some pretty sparkly, shimmery gold ribbon to unify the whole thing...and I'm looking for some purple flowers to put on it. GR had some beautiful deep purple hydrangeas, glittered in gold, that clip on the branches, but they were a little pricey for as many as I need for a 9' tree, so I'm looking for some elsewhere. Worse comes to worse, I'll buy some flowers from the dollar store and spray paint and glitter them myself...got my eye on a can of dark purple spray paint from Wal-Mart for less than $5 and you KNOW I have plenty of glitter...so that might actually be my best bet. Then I could have as many as I want. I am looking for my paper right now...leaning toward gold or solid red with ribbons in gold, red or purple if I can find the right color..it's all too violet-pinkish...I want DEEP royal purple or plum. So..it's fun looking and gives me an excuse to go shopping!! Whoo hoo!!

I can't wait to see everyone's trees this year!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
oooohhhhhhhh! Spray paint and glitter!!!!! The possibilities.......... What fun I will have thinking about this!!! thank you, Cathymac!!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
Cathy, I bought some peppermint-striped wrapping paper at Walgreen's yesterday. I may try some small cones covered in that for my tree. It's too thin to use just the wrapping paper, I think. Also bought some Ghirardelli chocolate-covered peppermint candy. I need that for artistic inspiration, don't you think?!