Decorating with Lego

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
So, I think I posted recently that every time we move I lose my Christmas Village. I believe there is a special course all movers must take that teaches them how to smash every single piece of a Christmas Village before they are allowed to work for a moving company.

Anyways, when I was looking for a Lego set online for my daughter, I saw that Lego makes a Winter Village. Amazing! A Christmas Village that the movers (and my kids) can't destroy!! I was so excited. I found some good deals and bought the last three years of pieces, plus the seasonal house kit which can be rebuilt from a summer house, a fall house (complete with skeletons and bats and a firepit) and a winter house (with Christmas lights and snow). I wanted to try to get the previous 3 pieces of the set, but they are all ridiculously expensive on EBay now.

After Christmas last year, the Lego store cleared these little plastic ornaments filled with pieces of gold Lego 75% off. I picked up the max. you were allowed to get with the thought of putting them on the tree this year, and then letting the kids have the Lego on Christmas and then using the clear ornaments to make our own ornaments next year.

The store was having Christmas in July last month, so I bought my daughter's bday present, and I got a free Lego Christmas snowglobe. It's adorable. Every year they do two little Christmas builds (I think they'd be about $10 each in the US). They alternate each year between building characters and building sets with a background and little Lego people. I bought them last year ( Santa in a chair, and two elves building toys) and my daughters had a great time building them and displaying their decorations throughout the holidays. Best part was I was able to take everything apart, and it used up very little storage space.

They also make a build for Thanksgiving, Halloween, Valentines Day and Easter each year. As we get closer to Christmas they'll offer freebies that are usually Christmas themed.

Sorry if the above reads like an advertisement - it's not, I have no affiliation with Lego. My kids are just currently in love with it, and I hadn't realized they offered all of this seasonal stuff, so I thought I'd let everyone know. They should release this year's Winter Village piece any day now, and I'm wondering if anyone else is anticipating it like I am.

Does anyone else do any decorating with Lego? I know Halimer said she has one of the Winter Village sets....Santa's Village I believe.

Reactions: Minta

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I saw the Winter village set and thought it was great! no more kids that age though...

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
We have some Lego ornaments on the tree. Every time we go away I try to find something to add to our Christmas Tree. Over the years we have picked up several from various Lego Lands that we have visited. From memory they come in a kit/ package which comes with the Lego, instructions and a clear plastic bauble to put it all in.

We also have several years of the Lego Advent Calendars- they sell out here in an absolute flash so its about being lucky- stores for some reason never know how many if any they are getting and won't let you pre-order/ hold them. They work as stand alones if you get just one year or can be combined with sets from previous years to make a whole village.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
They just released pics of the two Christmas builds this year...one is a little train and the other is a town square with a tree and a snowman and pretzel stand. They're cute. Still no pics of the Winter Village set...hoping they do make a new one this year.

luludou - I'm going to use it as a regular Christmas village since no one can break this one. I think especially if you have memories of kids playing with Lego or played with it yourself it makes nice decor as well. Of course, I wasn't allowed to play with Lego as a child, so I'm particularly drawn to it as and adult :)

tanya - Yes, I've seen those ornaments. The ones I got are the same plastic ornament but with just coloured bricks inside and no instructions to build anything. I ordered a Christmas house and a Santa as well, but they sold too many, so I didn't get it. I did the Lego Calendars last year but they were ones I bought on clearance previous years. Around here it would be $80 plus tax to buy two at Christmas.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
We don't have anything like that here. Just the Advent calendars. I have never seen the tree ornaments here either. I have always bought them when we were overseas.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We don't have anything like that here. Just the Advent calendars. I have never seen the tree ornaments here either. I have always bought them when we were overseas.

We don't get them in the stores here, but I get them from the online store. I try to get the holiday pieces each year. The Winter Village pieces are pretty expensive though. Bigger cities have actual Lego stores, but there aren't any in our province.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
We don't have a specific Lego store here either and I in a pretty big city- Sydney.
I just googled it an apparently there WAS a Lego store here- according to google it was the first in the world outside Denmark- but it closed in the early 1990's. In the 1990's I was busy partying with my mates- Luke and Lego was the furthermost thing from my mind. There is apparently one in another state but it would take me nearly 15 hours of driving to get there.....

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I didn't know Lego put out those Christmas kits. We had Fisher-Price Little People Christmas Sets and other holiday sets. I just checked to see if they still make them since it's been about 4 or 5 yrs. since we bought the last one. They still make some of them.

Fisher-Price Christmas and Holiday Sets
http://fisher-price.mattel.com/shop...nPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&contentPageSize:&

We have the Nativity set and a train. They were the only ones I was able to find in Canada.
Also there is a Lego Duplo set that I bought for my littlest one this year.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have never seen any of the Christmas Village Lego. I will have a look online at ebay and the Lego store and see if there is anything that I absolutely need...

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Lego advent calendars are now available. They come in Star Wars, Lego City, and Lego Friends. Usually I find the Lego Friends one lacking as you get fewer pieces and sometimes they are things like pots and pans, but this one has lots of animals (my girls' favourite) so I think it's a good pick. I'm just hoping someone puts them on sale as $40 is still pricey!

Another new Christmas Lego set will be available free with a purchase....in November or December. It is a box with 24 different things to build...one for each day leading up to Christmas. This is different from an advent calendar as you have one box of pieces and a card each day to make something different from those same pieces (so you can't keep everything you've build set up.) I was thinking how fun it would be to have a box for each kid and have them race to find the pieces and build their little Christmas thing each morning. Maybe there could be a little prize for the winner...like a Hershey's kiss they could eat at breakfast :)

I have never seen any of the Christmas Village Lego. I will have a look online at ebay and the Lego store and see if there is anything that I absolutely need...

I only heard about it last year...and I wish I'd collected it from the beginning because I love the post office but would never pay what it sells for now.
My family has a very strong connection with the railway here, and has for over a hundred years, so the train and train station are a must for me. I also love the toy store and Santa's Village.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
For anyone interested, they've released the Thanksgiving set and the two little Christmas sets. They also have a Winter/Christmas magnet up and (at least on the Canadian site) some ornaments marked down.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'll have to check out the Thanksgiving ones. The Star wars advent one arrived yesterday.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We were looking through the Lego catalog that arrived in the mail last week. That was fun! I finally saw the Christmas train.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Lego catalog! Wow, you hardly can get hardcopy catalogs any more. I just ordered one. Thanks