Did you know?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Did you know that the 12 days of Christmas starts on the 25 of December? yep that's right we have 10 more days of Christmas! How are you going to celebrate?
Why not start some of your own Christmas traditions this year.
And I would love to hear some suggestions.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
We're going to continue celebrating by hanging out with family and friends. There will be a bonfire on New Year's Eve and lots of visiting.

Also, I'm hosting a 12th Night Pary on Sat. 1/2 (not technically the 12th night but close enough). Our Christmas Party was cancelled by the snowstorm this year so we rescheduled for that day and decided to incorporate a few 12th Night traditions to make it a little different.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I celebrated today by calling an old friend who lives across the country -- and catching up. AND -- by calling an old friend who lives nearby - and catching up!

Dh and I celebrated by putting up the strong, excellent bird-feeding-station-on-a-metal-pole -- which he gave me for Christmas! He also bought nice bird seed for the new bird feeder! And - it has already been visited by the first bird -- which was -- a sparrow.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Great thread!

I've been preaching this to everyone who will listen since the beginning of December!! I am celebrating by leaving the tree and decorations up until at least after the new year. I don't like to take it down right away. I love the lights. I'm even considering taking all the ornaments off the big tree and redecorating it for New Year's, but I really don't have anything to put on it. I might do that with the year 'round tree instead-it's much smaller.

Also, I'm continuing to watch Christmas movies and listen to Christmas music. KLOVE, a Christian station, is still playing Christmas music. Love that.

I'm anxious to see what everyone else is coming up with. Sparklenana, good for you for calling friends, both old and new, and for feeding those birds!! Ladyevenstar, be sure to share the details of your party..how exciting to have something to look forward to in the new year!

Who else is still celebrating?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Well, our trees and decorations will come down after New year's eve (and before work starts anew.... arrgghhh!).

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
I hung my snowmen wreath. It's mostly blue and silver, my favorite colors to decorate with between Christmas and Epiphany/Orthodox Christmas. I won't get anything else put up, but I have a matching snowman floral arrangement for the dining room table.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Great thread!

I've been preaching this to everyone who will listen since the beginning of December!! I am celebrating by leaving the tree and decorations up until at least after the new year. I don't like to take it down right away. I love the lights. I'm even considering taking all the ornaments off the big tree and redecorating it for New Year's, but I really don't have anything to put on it. I might do that with the year 'round tree instead-it's much smaller.

Also, I'm continuing to watch Christmas movies and listen to Christmas music. KLOVE, a Christian station, is still playing Christmas music. Love that.

I'm anxious to see what everyone else is coming up with. Sparklenana, good for you for calling friends, both old and new, and for feeding those birds!! Ladyevenstar, be sure to share the details of your party..how exciting to have something to look forward to in the new year!

Who else is still celebrating?

That sounds like a great idea. Maybe you could find some horns and hats that say Happy New Years to decorate your tree.

I don't do much as I'm usually alone after Christmas. I take this time to relax, take it easy until I head back to work in the new year. I will be with family on New Years. Other than that I just chill, watch movies, and such.

caitsmum

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2008
Bedfordshire England
Our decorations stay up until round about 12th night (Jan 6th) - though I tend to take them down before the children go back to school if they are late back.
.... But then due to family tradition and DDs birthday on the 20th, we don't put Christmas decorations up until Christmas eve so its nice to be able to relax and enjoy them! Many years the week between Christmas and New Year is DHs holiday as well - though this year he's working away so it's a bit odd without him!

This year the children go back on Jan5th so I might just wait until they are out of the way and take them down in peace while they are at school!

AM

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I celebrated the Twelve Days of Christmas yesterday -- by buying us a copy of the much-talked-about new book "The Advent Conspiracy". I say that I bought the book "for us" -- since I feel less guilty about splurging -- by sharing the book with my MHH Family.

I am thinking about putting the book in my Rudolph Day Tote -- and sharing a chapter on each Rudolph Day. I think that this book invites us to consider some fresh ways of thinking about Christmas.

Anyway -- I celebrated by taking another leap of faith -- and buying the book. I hope that it will add to the next year that we share together!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Magi Cake

When we were little, my sis and brother and I, our mom did a 12th night thing and it was about the Wise Men.

She would bake a cake, bundt, and hide a penny in it. If you were the lucky one to find the "gift of the magi" ... oh boy!

Now, when we were little, and there was three of us, she would make sure we would all get a "gift" in our slice of cake by baking the cake with a toothpick where each one was hid. We weren't suppose to see the toothpicks! Pennies were wrapped in tinfoil and dropped into the cake.

But gee, I never did this with my kids. Maybe ... this year???