Do an Inventory

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Today I am going to grab my camera to do a quick inventory of my household items. I'm going to photo each room, open each cabinet and drawer and take a photo.

I don't care if it's messy, or if I get every little item but I'll get most of the items in my house. Then I'm going to upload the photos to a website just in case of a disaster.

I figure this will take half a hour if I don't get side tracked. Well worth the time.

It will also give me a starting point to see how organized I am at the end of the year.

So grab those cameras, take them your self, give the job to the kids or other person in you house.

Update: 11:25 and I have the photos done. I just snapped away, opened a door, snap, open a drawer and snap. I still have to download the photos to a website but it really didn't take long to snap the photos. Suppose I need a photo of the camera I was taking the photos with too.I'll do one in a mirror. lol

I have three levels to my home, three bedrooms, living room, dine in kitchen, two baths with a double garage and storage area. It's over 1600 square feet. Just to give you an idea of size.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
When we had renter's insurance in Texas they told us to do this. We have gotten some new items since then though so i'll have to update what we have!

OK that is a very scary thought-taking the before pics.....lol

I just might do this tomorrow and I definitely have to reinventory all my storage boxes and gift closet (luggage bags) ASAP!!! But today while the crockpot is cooking dinner, I will be washing all the sheets and blankets and going through the kids clothes.

S

sousfu

Just a quick suggestion that's worked for me...

I add "Photograph room for inventory" at the end of each room list for the Grand Plan. I don't always get to it, but it's an especially useful reminder in case we've added or changed things, and helps keep the inventory pictures up to date.

cleanupgirl

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
This is a great idea! Eventually, I would like to do a detailed list in Excel to go with the photos. Down here in hurricane alley this can be most useful! Thanks for the reminder!

Here is a nice template from Microsoft Excel which is free to download.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templ ... 1172541033

You can take your pictures, do a room by room, take pictures and save the whole thing on a disc and put in a safe deposit box, and one in your household notebook and one to an out of state relative that you trust!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Thanks for the reminder! this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I like the idea of doind it room by room as part of my cleaning routine. Doesn't seem quite as big a job.

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Great idea! I love the part about addiing the pix to the list of tasks for each room, and thanks for the link for the form too! You all are the best!!

:party:

Berta

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I always say I will do this but haven't updated in years. Where the computer is now is my craftroom and it was a playroom back when I did pictures before. It sure would be useful, but I pray that none of us would have to use them. When my grandmas house burnt, she had to fill out papers say everything she had. They asked about the stored food, bathroom items, and her clothing approximately how many soxs, underwear and etc.. So ..........

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
You know I'm always taking pictures of my apartment when I've changed deocrations for the seasons but never thought of taking pictures of everything in my place. That is a great idea that I will start this weekend.