Do any of you use a serger?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I am FINALLY going to learn to use the serger that I got from my dear Mom! I'm really nervous about it, though. It's a White Superlock 534 and it's never been used (Mom bought it but was a little intimidated by it). I'm taking a class to get me started. The lady sells another type of serger (Bernina?) but says she'll help me with mine, too.

What types of things do you make on your serger? Any tips for me?

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
I use my serger on everything I sew. It is most wonderful of course on stretch fabrics but I use it to finish the raw edges of all my seams.

Carin

MHH Member
Oct 21, 2007
I loooooove my serger and have used it for many years. In regard to "gifts", I make quick gift bags out of fabric and scraps. I used the narrow hem stitch to finishe the top edge. I reuse these bags time and time again. Also, when I give them others, they really stand out and people love them. I often will put in home made bread, treats, small gift items etc.

I still use my Serger for sewing clothing, but as my Kids are more impressed by brand names than "Mom's line of clothing", it doesn't get used as much as it used to. However, I use it to repair many things.

I love my serger and hope you enjoy yours too.

Carin :party:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I love the idea of making bags! I ordered the instruction manual (mine was misplaced some time back) and have been slowly working up my courage to start learning to thread it, etc. Do you use a pattern for your bags? I'd love to make some gift bags for my home made birthday and Christmas gifts.

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
I tend to do a lot of re-upholstering and my serger is a life saver for finishing the edges of all the fabric. Before I got my serger, my projects would unravel...and all that work down the drain. I could have used my "regular" machine to zig zag the edges, but I never dreamed it would unravel as much as it did.

I'm re-doing my craft room so I can leave both machines set up and get busy with projects I want to accomplish.

Once you get used to your serger, you'll love it...well, right up until the thread breaks...but that becomes less frequent as you learn to use it..and learn how it's threaded.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!!!! :pink:

Carin

MHH Member
Oct 21, 2007
As far as a pattern for gift bags.....I don't have one:). I cut the fabric to be twice the height of the bag, and the width to be about 1" wider than I need. That way, after I sew it, it is the size I originally was looking for. I have put in draw strings before....and have even sewn a square of clear plastic ( like you would cover your chairs with) on the outside of the bag with topstiching on my sewing machine. I then cut away the fabric from the underside. I then assemble the bag. I use these "Peek-a-boo" bags for candies and you can see what is inside through the window.

I have made various sizes, even large enough to disguise a tricycle!

Just experiment and have fun!

Carin